“Different” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Im Herzen Afrikas

Im Herzen Afrikas
Gutleutstrasse 13, 60329 Frankfurt, Hesse, Germany (Bahnhofsviertel)
069 / 24 24 60 80
Neighborhood: Bahnhofsviertel
cornwall
“Different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I love trying new food and I was excited at trying this restaurant based on the reviews.
I didn't book and tried at 610pm and was lucky there was a seat available but to accommodate my late booking I would have to leave at 7pm( I am a fast eater so I wasn't worried)
Within the next 10 minutes the restaurant was then fully booked. So its better to book beforehand.

Its quite dark inside with a hut like setting nestled on sand.
I went for Tzhada Kulwa - Lamb meat stew with onions, mildly seasoned. I wanted to go for the hot dish but my friendly server said I should have the lightly seasoned one and I would get hot pepper on the side.
The food was served promptly and was served with a thin flat traditional bread(injera).
The meat was tender and it was mildly seasoned. I tried the hot pepper but didn't like the taste.
The bread was also very nice. I initially thought that the meal will not be filling but I couldn't eat another drop after I finished.

I enjoyed the authentic African food but next time I would like to try the spicy dishes.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Solingen, Germany
“wonderful athmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I very much liked the place because it has sand on the floor and the interior is just nice. Try the self-brewed beer! Delicious!

Visited June 2013
State College
“A taste of the extraordinary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

First time with African food and I found the dishes and techniques to be wonderful. The atmosphere is very unique and be prepared for something different. The staff were all friendly and attentive. I would come back often!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Something different - 5*****”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We went there the first time for dinner and it was just great. The staff is very friendly, the food tastes good and this is something special, not the usual steak and burger you get everywhere. Really good and thumbs up!

Visited November 2012
Frankfurt, Germany
“If you are used to good African food, you will be disappointed. Otherwise, you will probably like it.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

The atmosphere of this restaurant, close to the Hauptbahnhof, is better than the food. The floor is covered in sand, draped fabric hangs from the ceiling and walls, creating a tent-like feel inside. It is a small and intimate interior, perfect for drinks with friends, And due to the dim lighting it is difficult to really see what you are eating. We were a group of six, some having had African food and some not. The experience is unique for newcomers - eating with your hands, ripping off a piece of spongy Injera, using it to scoop up a morsel of greens, chichen or lamb and sharing your platter with others on the table. The experience is fun, but the food wasn't that great. Perhaps I am spoiled because i have had amazing African food in Africa and other countries with large African populations. I just didn't think the food was that great. However, the staff was very friendly and attentive, and the cocktails were tasty. Maybe if I had ordered more cocktails, my meal would have tasted better. Tryit once for the experience (if you have never eaten with your hands), but if you have had good African food elsewhere, you will be disappointed with the food here. Definitely nothing to rave about.

• Visited May 2013