“Christmas Market Frankfurt” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 265 Hotels in Frankfurt
Harrow, England, United Kingdom
“Christmas Market Frankfurt”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This was the third year my son and I visited Germany at Christmas to visit the Christmas markets and take in a football match. We normally stay in a 4 or 5 star hotel so the accommodation itself is likely to be of a good standard which again was the case with the Steigenberger Metropolitan. It was an exceptional deal with a superior deluxe twin bedded room with excellent bathroom facilities. The deal also included breakfast and free Wi-Fi. The breakfast was continental but if you want something British when they ask you whether you want eggs then this can include an excellent scrambled egg with bacon. The only issue we had during our stay with the hotel was soft feathered pillows but these were eventually replaced when asked for alternative ones.

The hotel's location is directly opposite the main railway station for surrounding areas, other area of Germany and for us more importantly the main airport.(3 stops on the underground). There is no problem with noise from the station and our room was on the front of the hotel directly opposite it. The area around the station does look a bit seedy but we never felt threatened at any time. The only issue I have which I would contest with other reviewers is the hotels location to the centre of Frankfurt and at Christmas the market. It is for an older person a good 15 minute walk and if you have been walking round the shops and the market all day the last thing you want to do is walk back to the hotel and then have to go out again of a night time to eat. However, cabs are readily available at the station as are trams and the underground and daily/weekend tickets are available so there are alternatives to walking. Before you get into the centre of Frankfurt there are a quite a good number of reasonable restaurants but there are also the tacky kebab and fast food shops as with any other large city these days.

As for the hotel and it's facilities I would have no hesitation in recommended it for a stay in Frankfurt and would have thought it was ideal for the visiting businessman working in Frankfurt.

Room Tip: Superior Deluxe Twin Bedded or King bedded room with large bathroom facilities
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Turkish first
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

From the time we arrived at 7.30 am and were given an early check in, until our departure, we found nothing to fault this stay. Staff were obliging and went out of their way to greet us in English. Breakfast was superb and Stephanie's service exceptional. The doorman, Robert reminded us of a Santa Claus, most appropriate at Christmas time.
Although across the road from the main station and central trolley car station, it was very quiet. Most of the time we felt that we were the only guests in the hotel, such was the level of quietness.
It's proximity to the city an museum artery was a bonus - about a fifteen minute stroll.
We also enjoyed the lounge and bar area as a quiet place to relax after a day's sightseeing. The restaurant was reasonably priced for food of excellent quality and service.

We'd give it five stars without a worry!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I always wondered what this hotel was like and was fortunate enough to be able to try it in mid-December at a quite attractive price (it was an off peak Saturday). Large room, directly opposite the station (about 50m walk), which is always handy. Front desk helpful. Room in good condition, although the wifi was a little temperamental and the wall socket for the coffee machine was not working. Simple breakfast, with hot items from a menu. Unfortunately, ordered without reading it so missed out on some of the choices eg. Eggs Benedict. Food quality OK, but not stunning (eg. bread). All in all, I would rank as a 'Superior 4-star' rather than 5-star Sup. based on overall price/quality from this experience...So good, but not as good as the ranking on the door would imply!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

this hotel is in a very good location right next to the main railway station in frankfurt and near to everything you may need for a short stay.Staff were very helpful and nothing is too much trouble.There is a continental breakfast which was lovely and we had a very enjoyable few days here.rooms were very clean and smelt nice.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel is located right in front of Frankfurt's main train station's north exit, so it is unbelievably convenient if you are traveling into Frankfurt via train and also if you need to get the airport. It is also a good base from which to explore Frankfurt due to its location and Frankfurt's excellent public transportation system. It is most definitely a lovely and gracious hotel, with nice rooms, generally good service and lovely bathrooms with a large bathtub and separate shower. However, although the hotel is rated five stars (on the German scale), I doubt it would be classified as a hotel with that ranking in the US.

Interestingly enough, almost all of the issues I experienced were also mentioned by other travelers:

1) I had booked a twin/double, but I arrived late in the evening and was given a "single room" for the first of three nights. It was a very nice room but not what I had booked. The hotel readily changed my room for the next two nights, but I thought it was strange that the room I had reserved (and would have forfeited a one-night's room rate, had I not showed up) was not available to me. The person at the front desk was a little pompous about my reservation, so it was not a particularly pleasant introduction to the hotel, although my stay was generally very pleasant. I would stay here again, to be honest.

2) In my initial "single room", there was only one set of towels (one bathmat, bath towel and wash cloth), which I thought was odd for a nice hotel, even for a "single room", especially since the bath towel was rather small and thin. I understand the environmental consciousness of the hotel, but if the establishment advertises itself as a top-quality hotel, slightly more luxurious towels would help (and more than one set, even in the "single room"). The bath towel was particularly odd since in the twin/double room, there were bigger towels. This was mentioned by another traveler as well.

3) Like another traveler, I too, was perplexed by breakfast as I was also taught not to barge into a nice restaurant and just sit at any table. Once I got the attention of the wait staff, they told me to "sit anywhere" but none of the tables had been cleared, so I waited and waited for what seemed like an embarrassingly long time while the wait staff continued to ignore me. Another guest finally grabbed a waiter and asked him to clear a table near her so that I could sit and eat breakfast. I was also not informed that ordering off the menu was a part of the breakfast service, so I originally thought breakfast included only what was offered on the buffet (I only found out by observing the other guests), so I missed out the first morning. What would improve the situation on busy mornings and help explain to newcomers that ordering off the menu would not result in additional charges is a "maître d'" who would control the seating arrangements and explain the breakfast offerings. Maître d's can be found at breakfast buffets in lots of great hotels around the world, so one would seem appropriate here on busy mornings. Breakfast itself was excellent, and ordering eggs and/or American pancakes was a fantastic option.

4) The doorman/porters at the hotel were very nice and helpful, but I found it odd that they would only offer to help me with my luggage from the front desk to the room. The place where help is really needed is the entrance to the hotel where you need to navigate stairs to get inside the building and then another set of stairs to get to the front desk (this was also mentioned by another traveler). I arrived late the first evening, but only once or twice during the remainder of my three-night stay, did I see a doorman/porter at the entrance at various times of the day. Again, this seems like a no-brainer for a top-quality hotel.

5) There may be a training problem with staff since this was also mentioned by another traveler. I also had the experience of staff barging into my room -- I was in the bathroom and did not hear a knock, if there was one -- all I heard was someone opening my door as I walked out of the bathroom, totally freaking me out.

6) The bathrooms are absolutely beautiful, but the trendy "bowl sinks" without plugs are difficult to use. Guests must splash all over the place, creating additional work for housekeeping. I understand that the hotel is replacing them, so that is good news.

Overall, this is a lovely hotel with lots going for it -- great location, nice rooms and lots of nice touches, such as free newspapers, bottled water, shoe shines, freshly prepared individual entrees at breakfast, etc. Most of the issues mentioned above can be remedied by better training of staff (and adding better towels).

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The Steigenberger Hotel Metropolitan is located beside the Frankfurt Central Station. This makes the location perfect for public transportation. Long distance trains, the S- and U-bahn and tram-lines are just a few steps from the hotel. Service and breakfast are perfect. I had a superior room with free minibar and a Nespresso coffee-machine. The room was very nice and modern with both a shower and a big bath tub. Particularly noteworthy is the daily shoe shine service. Just put your shoes in a special bag outside your door in the evening and you will get them back fully shined in the morning. Great! The hotel offers free daily newspaper in your room and free Wi-Fi. All in all a very recommendable hotel.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2014

I'm not sure what Steigenberger is doing - their hotels used to be great (Kührhaus, Grand Brussels, Frankfurter Hof etc), but suddenly they become só old(fashioned). Time to redo some hotels guys. The wifi does not work, just like the rest of this hotel...

Stayed November 2014, traveled on business

Been to Steigenberger Hotel Metropolitan? Share your experiences!