“nice stay for overnight” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Steigenberger Airport Hotel

You added Steigenberger Airport Hotel to your Saves list
Steigenberger Airport Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Unterschweinstiege 16 | 60549 Frankfurt, 60549 Frankfurt, Hesse, Germany   |
Ranked #48 of 265 Hotels in Frankfurt
Bratislava, Slovakia
“nice stay for overnight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Missed the plane in Frankfurt, and we stay in this hotel for the night.
At the front desk, we were very quickly checked. Hotel room needs reconstruction, but it is no really catastrophic. Sleeping quality was high. Transport to and from hotel to the airport was fast and works. Breakfast at hotel were one of the best I've had the pleasure to try.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
airporthotelfra, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear marian c;
Thank you for the positive review of your stay and that you have chosen our hotel for your layover night.
It is very nice to read that you were so satisfied with our service, the free transfers and quality of sleep. I'm also very happy about your very positive words about our breakfast buffet. It’s amazing that we could inspire you that way.
We already have renovated 84 Standard rooms last year. These can be booked as new stylish Superior rooms. Further renovations will follow gradually. Also, our Deluxe rooms and Executive rooms are modern and offer great comfort.
I hope you visit us again soon right at Frankfurt Airport; next time maybe "voluntarily" without flight cancellation?
Kind regards to Bratislava
Tina Schmidt & Steigenberger Airport Hotel Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

Nice hotel, conveniently located a short courtesy bus ride from the Airport terminals. Once you exit the baggage claim area out to the roadway, you will find a Hotel Courtesy bus stop to take the bus. From Terminal 1, the location is at the very far end of the building to the right after exiting. The hotel does have two separate levels of hotel rooms. Both are acceptable, but the Executive Level, accessed through a separate set of elevators has very luxurious and comfortable rooms. Worth the upgrade price. The bathrooms are a treat with walk-in glass surround showers, or a whirlpool tub if you prefer. Plenty of countertop area.
The restaurant has several (I think 5) different restaurants, and you can even have a lighter bite to eat right in the lobby bar area. From casual to more formal dining. The breakfast buffet offers a very large selection, and I found it to be very high quality / tasty breakfast food.
The value is well worth it, and for a small inconvenience of having to use a courtesy bus for transport back and forth to the airport, the savings per night is very significant. Courtesy buses (one for each terminal) run about every 15 minutes. It only takes ~10 minutes to get back to the terminal so catching your flight is not an issue.

Room Tip: If you do not have a room on the Executive Level, ask to be upgraded. I have stayed here a few time...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear DriveaRagTop;
Thank you that you have written such a detailed comment to your rating and that you share your positive experience at our hotel with other travelers on TripAdvisor.
I am very pleased that you have felt that comfortable in our hotel with our service and at the Executive Tower as well. I agree with you, we have a variety of room categories in our hotel. The rooms at the Executive Tower are the best category, but have only a small upgrade fee for a plenty of comfort and luxury.
Perfect that you had such an easy arrival and departure using our free 24-hours Express Airport Shuttle.
We have four restaurants in our hotel. Especially recommended is our cozy, traditional restaurant Unterschweinstiege. This place is unique for an airport hotel.
I hope we may be your host again very soon.
Many greetings to Rhode Island
Nashua, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have stayed at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel at least 6 times in the last 25 years. I was much less satisfied with my most recent stay than in past years. I think it is because they have not renovated all of their rooms, and thus the experience will vary depending upon your assigned room.

After an overnight flight from the US, my husband and I were scheduled to arrive at 5:45 a.m. on a weekday in Frankfurt, followed by picking up a rental car and driving 280 km. By the time we anticipated retrieving luggage and getting through customs, we realized that we would be driving through morning rush hour out of Frankfurt. We are in the stage of our life when we have more money than energy, so we decided to book a "day room" at the Frankfurt airport for a nap and shower before continuing our travels.

There are few hotels that are within 5 minutes of the Frankfurt airport. I had first decided upon the Hilton, which is a part of Terminal 1, but the Hilton's day rooms are available between 9 and 5. In contrast, the Steigenberger's day rooms are available between 7:30 and 6, which was a much better match to our arrival time, and the Steigenberger is much less expensive. Plus, I knew from previous experience that the Steigenberger is graced by the delightful, old-fashioned, wild-game Restaurant Unterschweinstiege.

Check-in was efficient, and they let us into the room at 7:00 instead of making us wait until 7:30 (and this was much appreciated). The room itself, however, was a disappointment. Perhaps the most undesirable rooms are used as the day rooms: ours was small, with faded curtains, dated carpeting and furnishings, inexpensive toiletries (one each hand soap and shampoo dispenser mounted on the wall), thin towels, and no alarm clock separate from an incomprehensible time display on the television. Besides "dated," the word that came to mind was "spartan."

I know they have been renovating the hotel for several years, but I was disappointed to hear them drilling a nearby wall when I was trying to nap.

At lunchtime, we were anxious to visit the Restaurant Unterschweinstiege. Unfortunately, they had not told us when we checked in that we would need a reservation for lunch. Apparently, the Steigenberger has become a popular convention hotel, and a convention had seemingly taken over the entire restaurant. We had only one choice for lunch: the bistro in the lobby. It was OK, but not what we were craving.

Upon request, the front desk personnel made us a reservation at the Unterschweinstiege for the following Sunday, when we anticipated passing through the area before catching a return flight. We appreciated their help in doing so.

My feeling is that your experience with the Steigenberger will vary greatly depending upon the level of room that you choose and whether the staff and restaurants are bogged down with many convention attendees. Because of our experience with the quality of the room, the construction noise, and the failure to get into the restaurant of our choice during our initial stay, I have given the Steigenberger 3 stars instead of 4.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
airporthotelfra, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Dr-Jill-from-NH;
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed feedback on your stay with us.
First, I would like to express my regret that we have not managed to convince you again of our service and our hotel during your day stay.
You are absolutely right. We offer several room categories in our hotel, which vary in furnishings, decor, size and renovation as well as in price level. Since the renovation is an ongoing process, all hotel areas are gradually being modernized.
I want to point out, that the choice of the day use room is not made on behalf of age or quality of the room. Rather, we always try to provide our guests with very nice rooms and if possible also with a free upgrade. During your stay, this was not possible unfortunately. We actually had a lot of guests of various groups and conventions. In addition, at this mentioned Tuesday a popular fair took place in Frankfurt, so our hotel was fully booked.
This was also the reason why your looked-for lunch in our cozy restaurant Unterschweinstiege was not viable. The reservation of the groups for lunch had already been made several days in advance. Thus your desired restaurant was fully booked on that day. I'm very sorry and I can understand your disappointment. However, I would like to inform you that this is not a permanent condition for us. Usually you can walk in relaxed in our restaurant for lunch or dinner.
Please excuse that your nap was affected by the maintenance. These are necessary measures to maintain the quality and safety in our hotel. Of course I can understand that this was unpleasant because you wanted to rest.
We offer a free wake up call for our guests. This can be done by entering the desired time via telephone or in person by a colleague of the front desk. Therefore there is no alarm clock in our rooms. The clock on the TV just displays the current, local time.
We would like to convince you from our service and our alternative room categories with a renewed stay in our hotel. You were a loyal guest for so many years; we want to inspire you to come back to us.
Greetings from sunny Frankfurt to Nashua
Ansbach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed the night as I was flying out of Frankfurt. There is a shuttle to and from. I didn't want to navigate my way to finding bus from airport so I took a cab. Cost 6,10euro and took 5 minutes. The hotel is very modern. My particular room was on the 8th floor. I had a nice view. Ordered room service. It was good and I partook of a massage and facial after swimming. They were able to make an appt for 2 hours after I requested the service on a Sunday. The only thing I didn't care for was the children being uncontrollable in the wellness spa and pool. Took away from the relaxation. Checkout was super easy and I took the shuttle back to the airport. I would stay again if I was flying out.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear MaryM3269;
Thank you for your very positive review of your stay at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel.
I am very pleased that you have felt so comfortable with us and made use of our versatile offer. Beautiful, that you enjoyed our well-being area and the treatments
Our free 24 hours express airport shuttle is actually very appreciated by our guests. It runs daily, around the clock, every 15 minutes between the hotel and the terminal 1. A second shuttle bus runs between the hotel and Terminal 2, in the same frequency.
I hope you come back soon to Frankfurt and may visit us at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel.
Many greetings to Ansbach
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

The hotel shuttle bus runs every 15 ninutes to and from the airport and the ride is only 5 minutes. Typical German efficiency and comfort. Upgraded rooms in Executive Tower are well appointed. The rustic restaurant is good and has a wide variety of food choices. Staff are efficient, but not over friendly. Good meeting facilities and convenient for international meetings. Great buffet breakfast although can get full at peak time. Nespresso machine in the bedroom - a nice touch.

Room Tip: Ask for the newly appointed rooms in the Executive Tower
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
airporthotelfra, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Paul W;
Thank you so much for the positive review of your stay at our hotel.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your room in our Executive Tower. Our Executive rooms indeed offer all comforts and a special modern-contemporary design as well as flatscreen, well-being shower and Nespresso coffee machines.
I also thank you for your great feedback about our traditional restaurant Unterschweinstiege. It is a matter of fact that this is unique for an airport hotel. In particular, the summer terrace and the seasonal, regional dishes are popular with our guests.
It is great to read that you felt comfortable with us. We are looking forward to your next stay at Frankfurt airport and wish you all the best by then.
Many Greetings to Boston
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Have stayed at this property a few years in the past, and have found the property to be upgraded. We were between flights from Lisbon to Dallas/Ft. Worth, and only on property from 8pm to 8am. Did not use the public facilities (restaurant, bars, spa/gym). Rooms were well appointed, clean, and efficient. Modern bath, crisp linens. Very efficient. Great for overnights.

Room Tip: rooms at end of halls seem to be the newer upgraded additions,.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
airporthotelfra, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Clark-in-Dallas;
Many thanks for your positive feedback and that you have taken the time for it.
In fact, our hotel is very suitable for stopovers and overnight stays before or after a flight. We are only four minutes from the airport and our free, comfortable shuttle bus commutes every 15 minutes between both airport terminals and hotel.
I am very pleased that you did like your room and you were satisfied with our service.
I hope you visit us again very soon. We would be happy to welcome you.
Sunny greetings to Dallas
Tina Schmidt & Steigenberger Airport Hotel Team

Been to Steigenberger Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!