“+ Quiet + Good food; - disappointing reception desk; might reach general Steigenberger Standard with current renovation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Steigenberger Airport Hotel

Save Saved
You added Steigenberger Airport Hotel to your Saves list
Steigenberger Airport Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Unterschweinstiege 16 | 60549 Frankfurt, 60549 Frankfurt, Hesse, Germany   |
Ranked #44 of 261 Hotels in Frankfurt
Santa Cruz, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I had to stay one night at the Steigenberger since my flight was delayed 24 hours. Since the Steigenberger Group belongs to the better hotels in Germany playing along with brands like Marriott or Hyatt I expected a specific standard but was partially disappointed.

With me about 300 other passengers arrived at the reception desk and most of them encountered an average service you would have gotten at every mid-class hotel. Although it was within the airline’s responsibility the hotel wasn’t able to provide any emergency kits for their guests. The only thing they handed out, and only if you asked for it in particular, was a small toothbrush and paste. Well, not what you should expect from a high end hotel.

-/+Service:
The reception staff was not very attentive nor able to solve a case for me caused by the hotel. Other guests had different issues that couldn’t be solved as well.
In contrary, the staff at the hotel bar and in the breakfast room next morning paid a lot of attention, although bar and breakfast was packed with stranded passengers.

- Rooms:
The rooms were outdated but quiet. The mini-bar was sealed, which made it complicated to get some beverages. Even more frustrating was the fact that the bathroom supplies were below average (only shower gel and soap)!

At least the hotel was in the middle of a redecoration, which seemed to come along with a room update. Maybe the re-design comes with a more attentive staff, and some more supplies for the guests. With the opening of the new Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn the Steigenberger will face big competition in particular handling general guests and no stranded passengers. For EUR 100-250 per night, depending the season they have to improve considerably.

+ close to the airport (provides shuttle, which takes 5 min)
+ quiet, almost no aircraft noise
+ comfy mattress
+ nice spa, but you have to pay to use the sauna
- below average service for a Steigenberger
- outdated furniture/design, which changes with renovation
- awful bathroom supplies

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
airporthotelfra, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear travelinmatecom;
Thank you for your review of the Steigenberger Airport Hotel on TripAdvisor.
It may happen during a layover that there is temporarily a longer waiting time at the reception because a lot of passengers are arriving and checking in at the hotel in a relatively short time.
Of course, we immediately forward all facilities and service items that we get from an airline, in case of a layover, to the passengers. In your case, the airline has probably not prepared any emergency kit. In this case my colleagues at the front desk are happy to help with toothpaste / brush.
I apologize for the deficient service at the front desk mentioned by you. This is not our standard and I have already discussed your comments with our Front Office Manager for update measures.
Thank you for your kind feedback regarding our team at the bar and in the breakfast area; I pass like this.
I am sorry that you did not like your room as well as its design and decoration. It is indeed the case that in our standard room shower gel / shampoo and soap are available in the bathroom. Upon request you can receive other required supplies at any time.
I would appreciate if you would give us another chance to delight you with the quality of our hotel and the service. Maybe during your next trip Frankfurt, without Layover, you’d book a superior or executive room with us. I am convinced that we are able to meet your needs.
All the best until then and greetings to Santa Cruz
Tina Schmidt & Steigenberger Airport Hotel Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Polish first
Montcuq, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Stayed at this fine (though expensive) airport hotel in November 2012.
THe main and only drawback to my otherwise perfect stay was that wifi
was not complimentary, as it is now in such hotels the world over. I would have had to
pay a ridiculously high 27 euros for 2 days of wifi.
Room was small and correct, old-style TV, otherwise no complain; service and hotel
staff, all were OK. Hotel shuttles runs frequently from airport to hotel, it is akward to
find at first as there is no "hotel shuttles" indication on any airport plan.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
airporthotelfra, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear marcpointcom;
First of all thanks for the positive review of your stay at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel.
I am very pleased that you felt so comfortable with us. Also it is great to read, that you were content with our staff and our service.
I am happy to inform you that there are several room categories at our hotel. I recommend you to book for your next stay at our hotel a superior room with a flat screen TV or an executive room, which is also equipped with flat screen TV and offers a more generous design.
I can understand that you prefer a use of WiFi for free. But it is quite common in hotels of our category in Europe, that there are fees for the use of it. These are 14.50 EUR for 24 hours.
I'm sorry if you had difficulties to find the stop for the shuttle at the airport. Unfortunately, we have no influence regarding the signage at the airport and we cannot improve it. Nevertheless, we offer a detailed description on our website, so that our guests can find the shuttle stations quickly and easily.
I hope we can welcome you again soon at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel Frankfurt.
Until then, best wishes to Mery sur Oise
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

when ever I need to spend the night in Frankfurt to catch a plane, or transfer to a train... the Steigenberger is my choice. Accommodations are excellent, good food is readily available in the hotel, and easy connections to train and airlines.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
airporthotelfra, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Dana_Boudreau;
I am very happy about your great feedback regarding your stays at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel. Thank you for your recommendation and, of course, for your fidelity.
It is my pleasure that you feel comfortable with us and that you are fond of our hotel services. I will also forward your kind words about the food quality and the rooms to my colleagues.
Our complimentary 24h express airport shuttle is truly popular with our guests. One can commute every 15 minutes between hotel and airport, within easy reach of the railway station or the metro.
I already look forward to your next visit.
Many greetings to Belize y hasta muy pronto
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Very pleasant stay on a stop-over of 1 night. Shuttle bus was very convenient. We were upgraded to an executive suite and it was fantastic. Very modern. Would have preferred to order off the menu for breakfast; the buffet was too expensive for what you would get.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JoAnne F;
Thank you very much for your positive review of Steigenberger Airport Hotel and that you took the time for this.
I am really happy to hear that you got an upgrade to one of our suites. The suites at our Executive Tower have a size of 65 m² and are quietly located, with forest views, exclusive contemporary design and separate living and sleeping areas.
A pity that you have not tried our generous breakfast buffet.Our breakfast buffet for 28.00 EUR per person offers a rich and high-quality selection of hot and cold dishes, fish dishes, 18 different teas, coffees and much more features, which the Steigenberger Airport Hotel certainly differs from other hotels. You can reserve one day before and receive an "early bird" discount. Besides, you can also have a smaller and lower priced a la carte - breakfast in our lobby-bistro-bar.
I hope that we may be your hosts again soon.
Many greetings to Calgary
Phuket, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

It's very convenient to go there from Frankfurt airport by a shuttle bus every 15 minutes. Breakfast was wonderful, many kinds of tea to taste. The hotel restaurant outdoor is worth to try German Local food, we have been there every time when we stay at the hotel.

Dear ChutimaT;
Many thanks for the great review of your stay at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel.
I am very pleased, that you've felt comfortable with us and that you’ve liked our generous breakfast buffet with its 18 teas selection and our traditional restaurant Unterschweinstiege. This is certainly a very special place at Frankfurt Airport.
Our complimentary 24-hour Express airport shuttle runs every 15 minutes between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, and our hotel. In just 5 minutes driving time you get from one location to another.
I hope you visit us again very soon. All the best and have a great day.
Kind regards to Jakarta
Madrid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Once you must be at an Airport Hotel you know what you can expect but in this hotel you must know that there is a secret treasure, just across the street there is huge wild forest ready for you, you can run, walk or pick up a bicycle at the hotel and enjoy this marvelous place. If it is raining you have a nice spa and gym at the ten floor. The rest of is good with great meeting rooms and regular rooms.

Room Tip: As for rooms looking to the forest and to Frankfurt in the horizon, is just the safe fachade (The ot...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
airporthotelfra, Public Relations Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Sobas;
Many thanks for your positive review of the Steigenberger Airport Hotel and that you took the time for it. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. It is very pleasant to read that you felt so good.
The City Forest is truly a gem right outside the hotel door, and certainly unique for an airport hotel. In addition, at summer you can also enjoy fresh air on one of our 3 beautiful patios.
Our spa Open Sky offers Finnish sauna, Saunarium with biological lighting, steam room, fitness center and massage treatments as well as a 15 meter indoor pool.
I'm already looking forward to your next stay at Frankfurt airport and wish you all the best by then.
Kind regards to Madrid y hasta pronto,
Wilmington, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stepping into my 3rd floor room was like stepping back into the 80's. It was basic but clean - but the colors - oh my - it was in line with David Hasselhof, Miami Vice and poodle haircuts. It wasn't really what I was expecting. I paid €143 through their website but on reflection it seems a bit overpriced for that.

Internet in the room is €4.50 for an hour, €9.00 for 5 hours or €14.50 for a day. I chose access for 1 hour to check mails but was cut off after 40 minutes. I got to do what I needed to do before I was cut off. I won't argue about 20 minutes, but still...

It seems to be a busy hotel with people coming and going all the time but the pool area seemed quiet. There are changing facilities, combination lockers and showers. The attendant provides towels when you arrive and explained that the sauna is €8 - gym and pool are free to use for guests.

Dear Mohikaner;
Thank you for taking the time to provide reviewers on TripAdvisor your comments regarding the Steigenberger Airport Hotel Frankfurt.
I'm sorry that you did not like the design of our Standard rooms. We have already renovated 84 Standard rooms in January of this year. These can be booked as new stylish Superior rooms. Further renovations follow gradually. Also, our Deluxe rooms and Executive rooms are modern and offer great comfort.
Please excuse that your internet connection was terminated after 40 minutes. Our front office team is always happy to help with this, if you inform my colleagues about a connection problem.
Our wellness area "Open Sky" is very popular with our guests and we are the only airport hotel in Frankfurt, which offers a pool.
I hope we can welcome you again soon.
Many greetings to Wilmington
Tina Schmidt & Steigenberger Airport Hotel Team

Been to Steigenberger Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!