“Great Hotel near the Messe Fair Grounds” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grandhotel Hessischer Hof

Save Saved
You added Grandhotel Hessischer Hof to your Saves list
Grandhotel Hessischer Hof
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Friedrich-Ebert-Anlage 40 | 60325, 60325 Frankfurt, Hesse, Germany (Innenstadt)   |
Ranked #5 of 261 Hotels in Frankfurt
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great Hotel near the Messe Fair Grounds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

The hotel is a 1 minute walk across the street to the Messe Fair Grounds. The rooms are a reasonable size and the Executive rooms are big. The restaurant has a great value set menu at dinner including wine.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nottinghamshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

I have friends in Frankfurt and visit the city at least once a year, always choosing to stay here rather than with them. My most recent visit was in April 2010 and it was so lovely to be welcomed back to 'my little home in Frankfurt' - as described by the concierge!

Some of the rooms at he back of the hotel have been re-furbished and we elected to upgrade to one of them, a junior suite. It was lovely, with a most special bathroom, the design of which was faultless. The service in every area of the hotel was near perfect and the breakfast room is a joy (it is also one of the dining areas for lunch and dinner), the Sevre service in the cabinets being superb. Breakfast is a mixture of buffet service and waiter service - the hot food being cooked to order and served to one at the table, whilst everything else, including champagne,is available at a beautifully presented centre table.

There is a hospitality room, usually the lobby, between 6 pm and 8 pm and the mini-bar is stocked with beer, water and juice which is included in the room rate. If one is in Frankfurt during the weekend, or when there is no fair at Messe, the hotel offers the most astonishing value for money, without compromising the service in any way whatsoever.

There is no spa, but complimentary membership is offered to one locally.

If you are looking for a modern 'all singing and dancing' five star hotel with glitter and brashness, stay elsewhere. If you require the most wonderful old-fashioned service in elegant surroundings, then you must stay here!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

I stayed here just for 1 night while exhibiting at the Festhalle Messe in Frankfurt. For me the two biggest advantages that this hotel are:
1. Location: This is right opposite the main entrance of Messe. After Maritim, itis the next most convenient hotel to stay in. Then comes the Mariott. For me, this was very important as I would spend the whole day at the exhibiton and would need to reach back to my hotel to unwind within no time.
2. Gym facility: They give membership to a neighbourhood gym (Mainhattan Health Club) during the stay which was such a wonderful surprise because this professional gym is so well equipped with all facilities that I did not even miss my work out for a single day through out my trip of 7 days. So much so that even though I was staying at another hotel after 1 night, I went back to this gym and got their personal membership for the remaining days. The hotel even provides the guest with a gym bag which has all amentities like towels, water, toiletries, slippers etc. All this is included in the hotel room rate. This was simply wonderful.

ANother good thins about the hotel is the guest services like complemantary clothes pressing due to non availability of ironing board and the check in and check out were professionally managed.

I cant wait to live here again albeit in a bigger room because the room for single occupancy was very small.

Essen,germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

Der Hessische Hof ueberzeugt mit guter Lage, perfekt ausgestatteten Kongress-Raeumlichkeiten und erstklassigem Service. Die neu renovierten Juniorsuiten schaffen einen Atmosphaere im englischen Stil, die Farben sind warm und einladend gehalten. Am meisten begeisterte mich das fantastische Essen und das freundliche Servicepersonal. Ob geschaeftlich oder privat, dieses Hotel ist die perfekte Wahl in Frankfurt.

Zuerich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

Friendly staff providing an excellent service in a courteous however relaxed manner worthy of a leading hotel of the world. First class traditional French Restaurant -good value for money.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

Stayed in the Hessischer Hof during June, 2010, Room 12. Don't go there if you are looking for one of these super sleek designed hotel rooms. My room was rather traditionally styled, bathroom was rather old - but everything was really clean and in good condition. Room was almost as big as a suite but location on a lower floor not so great.

What really tells this hotel apart from many other 5-star hotels is the service level : in one word: really great. Reception, concierge, hospitality suite, friendliness of the people is outstanding. In addition, while the price of the room was not cheap, I liked that there were no hidden extras : internet (wifi) is inclusive, paper, fresh fruits in your room, pay tv, and even all drinks the minibar in your room, all at no extra charge. Certainly, you do not use all these free extras - but it is a nice touch and you do not feel you are nickeled and dimed. breakfast was Euro 26 extra and fine for the price.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

My first ever being "walked" experience! If you want to save yourself from any trouble or inconvenience, avoid this hotel.

Of course it is normal that hotels overbook, but they should not treat "walked" customers such way.

Upon arrival, I was told that the hotel was overbooked and they wanted to move me to another unknown hotel (not even of equal status, five star hotel).

I was really upset because:

1) Two days ago I phoned them to confirm my room and there was no problem.

2) I booked the hotel through otel.com and the fees had already been paid through my credit card. (143 euro for a single superior room: not exactly the price that deserves this kind of service.)

(I also complained to otel.com to check if it was their problem. They immediately responded saying that my reservation was confirmed and had they known that the hotel would be overbooked, they would have notify me earlier).

3) I had to insist 4 times (2 times to the receptionist and 2 times to the higher-ranked staff, whom the receptionist asked me to talk to) that I wanted to stay in the hotel, before they decided to give me the "magically-appeared" single room.

4) Upon arrival around 6:00pm-ish, I waited AT LEAST 40 minutes at the lobby to get a room, which I already paid for. (I was already very exhausted from a full day meeting). So why did it take that long? Well, the first time I rejected the receptionist's offer to move to another hotel, she RECOMMENDED that I speak to the General Manager but she couldn't get hold of him so she asked me to wait. Since the GM was unavailable, the assistant of the GM came to speak to me, but "probably" she did not have much decision making power so she had to go back to the office back and forth. So all in all a lot of in-between waiting times.

5) The higher-ranked staff offered another more expensive room for a higher price. (What!? Did I hear her wrong? Why should I pay more for a mistake that they made?)

If there were other empty rooms, they can at least just upgrade my room or make some adjustment such as move others to the more expensive room (without letting me know, and go through the terrible customer service).

6) The higher-ranked staff said : they can do nothing about it and said I can wait to see if other customers showed up or not (meaning if they dont show up, I can get a room). I dont understand why I was the one chosen ! Shouldn't it be at least first come first serve basis? Or was it some kind of discrimination?

7) The hotel that they offered to transfer me to was an unknown hotel (not even of equal status, five star hotel). This is the compensation that they offer to their "walked" customers--unbelievable. Keep in mind, Marriot and Fleming's are both 5 star hotels nearby.

8) In the end, I was offered the room that I booked, but I can tell from the faces that a few staffs were not happy about it (sour faces).....It was not my fault that the hotel was overbooked, if the hotel does like to handle complaining customers, they should try to avoid overbooking.

I had a long day, woke up at 5:00, attended a conference the whole day. I intentionally booked a trusted five star hotel that was 5 minutes by foot from the conference venue so that I could get a good rest (got a another long meeting day the next day) but the whole thing--arguing my way for a confirmed and paid room, just ruined my day and drained my energy.

I think it is such a pity that this hotel practices overbooking, and moreover treats "walked" customers such a way. Not counting the overbooking service issue, the hotel only has some minor faults: limited TV channels, no paper slipper in the room (got to bring your own) and not much variety at the breakfast buffet (most other 5 star hotels provide better service in those three areas) . Other then that, the hotel's facilities is great in many ways: it is clean, nicely decorated, no extra costs in many services( free mini-bars, Internet, etc.), the superior single room is comfortable and spacious, high pressure shower head in the bathroom, and other other hotel staffs delivered good service, such as the doorman, the lady who walked me to my room, and the waitress at the breakfast lounge. However, first impressions are always judged at the reception.

If you would like to stay in this hotel, I highly RECOMMEND that you get a written confirmation by email that "A ROOM IS CONFIRMED AND YOU WILL NOT BE MOVED IN THE EVENT OF OVERBOOKING".

As I have experienced, apparently calling to confirm a paid room does not guarantee one a room.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to Grandhotel Hessischer Hof? Share your experiences!