“Great service and quality/price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Atschel

Wallstrasse 7 | ., 60594 Frankfurt, Hesse, Germany (Sachsenhausen-Nord)
69 619201
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 1,880 Restaurants in Frankfurt
Cuisines: German, Pizza, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sachsenhausen-Nord
Barcelona, Spain
“Great service and quality/price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I found this place with google maps looking for a typical restaurant and beer Keller. I had the pork ribs with sauerkraut and it was excellent! Really good service and very reasonably priced. Great atmosphere too.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
“Great atmosphere and excellent traditional food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We were staying across the Main in the inner city, but a short walk across one of the bridges brought us to old Sachsenhausen, the Frankfurt neighborhood south of the Main. Walking this area's cobblestone streets, you can easily find apple wine pubs serving traditional German fare as well as Irish-style pubs and fast-food places serving Lebanese, Turkish, and other ethnic foods.

My father is from the Frankfurt area, so when my girlfriend and I visited the city, one of my goals was to have local specialties he's talked about: Ebbelwoi and grüne Soße. I was able to do this at Atschel, an apple wine pub founded in 1849 and bearing the Hessian name for a magpie.

This place is the real deal, serving Frankfurt specialties like Apfelwein (apple wine, pronounced "Ebbelwoi" in the local dialect), Handkäs mit Musik (a soft cheese served with vinegar, oil, bread, and butter), and grüne Soße (green sauce, made from hard-boiled eggs, vinegar, oil, salt, sour cream, and seven fresh herbs, traditionally served over potatoes).

There's probably room for a hundred people inside the tavern, which is warm and cozy due to the communal seating at long tables and wooden benches. There's also a bar if you just want to stop by for a drink. Apparently there's a garden that can seat another hundred people, but we were there on a cold February night, so we never saw that. It must be nice to sit out there on a warm summer evening.

We ordered the traditional apple wine at the bar while waiting for a spot at one of the tables. I knew it would be tart, but my girlfriend expect something more like cider, and I'm afraid she didn't like it. She got the Rahmschnitzel (a schnitzel with cream sauce and mushrooms) with Spätzle, and I got the Frankfurter Schnitzel with Bratkartoffeln (roasted potatoes) and grüne Soße (the aforementioned green sauce).

The food was excellent, the portions were huge and very reasonably priced, and the atmosphere was wonderful. I finished off my girlfriend's apple wine, so I was feeling quite content by the time we left. A wonderful experience with my girlfriend, which just happened to be on Valentine's Day!

Visited February 2014
Brooklyn, New York
“Non-existent service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

My family and I sat down in the covered terrace outside, the waiter came, dropped off some menus and scuffled away. That was the last we saw of this waiter, who didn't even come to take our drink orders, let alone anything else!

In addition, my mom went inside and asked if they had a bathroom, where the waitress responded with an unpleasant face and shook her head! Somehow I doubt this large restaurant doesn't have a bathroom.

We waited a good 30 minutes and simply left. And I can't say that the waiter was prejudiced against Americans, especially since we thanked him in German when the menus arrived and that's all. This was my first (and not last) poor German restaurant experience.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummy traditional food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Friendly place, remarkable as normally in Frankfurt it isn't the case. We had a delicious dinner. I asked if they could change the potatoes for spaetzle in my dish, and they said no problem! Generous portions, good prices and service. Highly recommended.

Visited June 2014
“Truly a must do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Went here for lunch after a full morning. I had no breakfast and was quite hungry. Waitress was friendly,helpful and spoke english too. Ordered the Apfelwein with water which was delicious. Ordered a couple dishes. The frankfurters with kraut and the jagerschnitchzel. Both were very good and well prepared. The spatzel noodles that come with the schnitchzel are fantastic. Portions are huge. I had no breakfast and still was not able to eat all the food. Wanted to try that apple desert but just didnt have the room. Here 2 more days so probably gonna sneak back. ;) . Please go you will love it. A real German atmosphere and real German food.