“This was a Frankfurt Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Atschel

Atschel
Wallstrasse 7, 60594 Frankfurt, Hesse, Germany (Sachsenhausen-Nord)
69 619201
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Sachsenhausen-Nord
Atlanta Georgia
“This was a Frankfurt Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

My ratings are context sensitive. Nobody should assume that this is one of the best restaurants you will eat at. But if you want to eat at a quintessentially Frankfurt neighborhood restaurant, this is a great choice. For what it is worth, it is a Rick Steves recommendation and being that I am a groupie, that is how I found it. I put myself in the hands of the bartender. I drank the beer he recommended. Ate the cheese and vinegar appetizer, which he explained should be eaten with a knife, not a fork. And had the schnitzel with green sauce. Nothing was great given my American palate, but I had a nice experience and the staff was great.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, Illinois
“Great lunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Based on TA reviews, we came here for lunch during our 24 hour layover in Frankfurt. I had the braised pork cheeks in red-wine sauce with spaetzel, and my boyfriend had the grilled pork loin and sauerkraut. The grilled pork loin was basically a big ham steak, which my boyfriend really enjoyed. The sauerkraut was yummy also. My braised pork cheeks were terrific -- and the spaetzel really filling. I tried the apfelwein, which the waitress suggested mixed with water (other options are to mix with lemonade). Definitely reminds me of hard cider in other parts of the world.

It's a very homey environment, the menus do come in english, and the service was nice. Portions are very large! We'd come here again!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
“Great family lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Had lunch here whilst visiting the Christmas Market which was only 10 mins walk on the other side of the river. We found the food to be excellent and the staff very friendly. We had he specialties which were a little more expensive than the standard meals but well worth it.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Pork Knuckle + "Apple Wine" = Win!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Thanks to trip advisor, during our business trip to Frankfurt, we visited Atschel because we wanted German food in Germany, not one of many Italian / Spanish restaurants dotted around the city.

With great expectation, comes great food and drinks. Well priced too!

I ordered Pork Knuckle, which is most definitely the best Pork Knuckle I've tasted - ever. To wash it down, I got some Applewine (AKA Cider, extremely smooth to go with a meal). As the tabel we're on was a long bench, we also got chatting with an Austrian who lives locally. Taught us a thing or two about eating, the Frankfurter's way.

5* for food, drink and service. Would happily visit again!

• Visited November 2013
Shefford, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Food and Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

If you want a typical german cuisine, then this place comes highly recommended. We arrived around 7pm on a saturday night and they managed to find a place for the 4 of us. The place was busy and the atmosphere great.
The beer was lovely, especially the dark one, and the service as quick as expected with the amount of guests there.
The food was very reasonable priced and the selection very good. When the meal come, we cannot have any complaints, the food was excellent and the portions very generous.
I can highly recommend this restaurant to any tourists going to Frankfurt who wants to sample a typical german eatery. Thanks a lot Atschel!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere