“Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mai Moon

Mai Moon
Bremer Reihe 10, 20099 Hamburg, Germany (St. Georg)
040 2803303
Neighborhood: St. Georg
Poznań, Polska
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Perfect place! Amazing atmosphere. Place was full of people.
Food? Delicious. Soups, dim sum - yummy! Well worth visitting! We'll come back for sure!

“Super!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The restaurant was next to our hotel and the guy at the reception recommended it. We loved it! The spring rolls are so big! And the dumplings with the chicken were superb! Love it- will come back

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

One of the best and most unique chinese in Hamburg - Great Dim Sum, good other foods. Very friendly people - enviroment so so ... :-)

Moscow, Russia
“Average chinese food, which means good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

First time we had lunch there we were a bit disappointed. We ordered tofu with vegetables and tofu was about 1/3 of the dish. Unfair and not worth its price (about 9 euro)! Steamed dim-sums with prawns were made of a pretty thick dough, though the dish itself was good. Fried rice with beef was very good.
Anyway, i tried Mei Moon (the right name of the restaurant according to the outdoor sign) another time a few days later. Avoided tofu, we ordered a good ol' sweet&sour pork, which was pretty tasty, just what i like about the pork served in a chinese restaurant. But not the best one you can find around Europe. I also had steamed prawn dim sums, which were better this time and dim sums with pork, prawn and coriander. Not bad, worth trying. Anyway i am still looking for MY chinese restaurants in Germany....
Service is average, but good as the chinese always have.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Edmonton, Canada
“Real Hong Kong/Guangdong Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

After walking the street directly adjacent to the main station and noticing how overpriced the restaurants are there, we randomly turned right after a while and found Mai Moon. We're students, so we're always happy to find food that is not too pricey but still has a good quality.

I should have known I was in for a rare treat when I noticed that the "mind the steps" signs at the door were in Cantonese, not German. This was the first time I found real Hong Kong food in Germany, and I've been looking for it for so long. The prices were really student-friendly, especially in relation to the heaps of food we were served. One dish was a bit more pricey, but it was a special one that was not even listed anywhere on the (otherwise huge) menu. I should probably also mention that I was the only German in this place. The staff mostly speak both Cantonese and Mandarin Chinese, but of course also German. They were helpful and nice, real Hong Kong/Guangdong style. I felt like I was teleported back to Hong Kong, with Canto and Mandarin all around me, and original southern Chinese cuisine.

Mai Moon really isn't even close to all the random Chinese restaurants you get all over Germany. For someone who hasn't been to Asia and is used to the German version of Chinese food, going to Mai Moon might be a bit awkward because it's indeed a different kind of food. But for anybody who has been there, loved it, and would love to go back to indulge in the food they serve there, I would always recommend Mai Moon. Best Chinese/HK food I have eaten outside of Asia.

• Visited July 2012