“Excellent Fish and Steak” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 2,741 Restaurants in Hamburg
Cuisines: German, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Frankfurt
“Excellent Fish and Steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had a great family dinner with something for everyone.
the Staff was very attentive and even offered me a small first course even if I did not order one so that I didn't have to sit and watch the remaining family eating.
The main course was excellent, fresh fish grilled exactly right and good steaks as well.
For the dessert I can recommend the dessert-Variantions, it offers a great overview a a lovely mix of fruit, cake and pudding.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Solid neighborhood fish restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Away from the downtown bustle, Stocks was a pleasant surprise for a relaxing dinner at the end of a long European business trip. Started with a lobster chowder which was excellent, mixed it up with the "Sexy Freak Roll" sushi (eel and others) also very good and then to a well prepared seared tuna. A generous creme brûlée finished me off.

Service was excellent. The restaurant is set in a large traditional pitched roof structure and the decor is modern but comfortable. Did notice a limited number of fresh fish selections but that could be attributed to the time of year. Didn't really matter to me as there were plenty of options.

Nice place to go for a quiet dinner away from downtown. Would gladly return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Luxembourg
“What a disappointment .... Pretentious place....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Based on the reviews in TA we decided to book at Stocks for the birthday of my wife when we were in Hamburg. We love seafood in all its varieties, so were looking forward to a good dinner. It is a bit of a ride out of the city center, so make sure your GPS guides you. Parking was full when we arrived, but we could park at the parking lot of a nearby bar and were picked up by a driver.

The restaurant itself looks nice and was packed on this Saturday evening. A lot of staff around, although that would later appear not to be too much of an advantage.

After a glass of Champagne as aperitif, first disappointment: while this restaurant labels itself as a fish restaurant, the actual fresh fish choice is very limited. No shell fish to speak of, and as to fresh fish, the choices were only far and in-between. I had expected a lot more Northsea fish. I had a some fried calamari, and my wife fried scampis ... Nothing too special, and even worse when my wife found between her scampis a piece of sharp plastic of some 1.5 cm long and 0.5 cm wide. Any elderly person or child swallowing this could easily have chocked. Apart from the fact it says something about the freshness of the product (this seemed to be a piece of a box that must have contained the, i suppose deep-frozen scampi), the attitude of the waitress was even worse. We noticed the plastic to her kindly, and she could only mumble that "she would bring it back to the kitchen" (what did she suspect, that we would eat the piece?). Not any apology, nor offer not to charge the plate, nor any other commercial gesture. In any restaurant presuming to be of some level, you get a different treatment in cases like this.

The main dish for my wife was some calamari burger, which may sound original but eventually was a lot of paddy. My turbot was baked in just far too much butter, and actually had little flesh on the bone.

After our main dish we waited for about half an hour to be asked for dessert, this despite a multitude of staff running around (it was noticeable they were not very coordinated, a lot of running around). Since we were left unattended, we quickly asked for a coffee and the bill, which also took ages to be processed. In the meanwhile, you could see the restaurant owner taking far more care of apparently the usual customers, ignoring any newcomer.

We left a good amount of money in this place, but regretted every EURO. This is in the first place not a fish restaurant. It is a rather pretentious place, with a mediocre menu and staff that ranged from correct to useless. The place because of its setting has potential, maybe we were very unlucky that night, but no, we would not return and will not advise this place.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Oxford
“Excellent choice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Firstly, I am quite spoiled when it comes to good gourmet food and I do enjoy a little Michelin starred pampering once in a while. Whilst I was very disappointed visiting the LCJ restaurant in Hamburg recently, this visit to Stock's left me impressed. I am used to very high quality seafood from South Africa and I have to say, a similar menu could easily be found there as well. For starters I had tempura prawns, for main course classic 'surf 'n turf' (beaf fillet and lobster) as well as NY chessecake for desert. The prawns were jummy, the steak perfectly medium- rare (must have been cooked sous-vide...) and the lobster mouth- wateringly tender (as it should be). I also tasted my girl friend's set 4 course lunch menu which was also excellent. The desert was ok, it was unfortunately not crunchy bisquit- base, but the strawberry coulis were delicious. If I had to mark it out of 10, this place gets a whopping 9! If I had to criticise anything, it would be that they did not offer a desert wine by the glass. Come on folks, you could easily fix this... Well done though for the attentive service and the excellent cooking.

Hamburg, Germany
“Excellent food, upbeat atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is my dads favorite restaurant, so whenever we visit we usually end up here once. Over time I have been able to try my way through the menu and I have yet to find something that I did not like.

I will usually choose the bouillabaisse as a starter, which consists of a broth that is not fishy at all with various seafood tossed in. Really very tasty! I would be tempted to try something else, but knowing that it is so good makes me always come back to this soup.

There is a variety of entrees as well as daily specials, so it can sometimes be hard to pick one thing. I have had the steak, which is excellent, as well as octopus, duck, Pannfisch and various other seafood. All was very nice. My favorites have to be the steak and the fish, they simply do know their way around with them.

For dessert we will usually share a bit of everything, which is always a great way to end our meal. The desserts are divine, most amazing sorbets, a very good creme brûlée as well as excellent mousse au chocolate.

Now that I think about it - I think I should plan my next visit in Hamburg. Concerning the prices it is not on the cheap side, but the value for money is alright.

• Visited February 2012