“One of the better Japanese Restaurants” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Matsumi

Matsumi
Colonnaden 96, Hamburg, Germany (Neustadt)
040-343-125
Improve this listing
Ranked #123 of 2,636 restaurants in Hamburg
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Neustadt
“One of the better Japanese Restaurants”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Overall a very good Japanese Restaurant, with good quality ingredients and atmosphere.
The lunch time offer is reasonable and you can expect to pay 12-15 Euros on average.
Dinner is very expensive in comparison and can easily pay 25 - 75 Euros per person.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

80% Recommend
Emmaboda, Sweden
“true japanese”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This restaurant is an institution in Hamburg and there are a lot of Japanese people eating there which is always a good sign. It is quite costly (everything being relative of course) but both the food and the atmosphere are amply justifyng it. For those who don't know much about this cuisine, ask for additionnal explanations on the menu. Otherwise you could end up like me with transferring most of what was on my plate to my delighted partner!!! Raw fish I can only swallow in sushis and with a lot o wasabi...My fault. I should have chosen sushis for beginners or then one of those cooked delicacies served in pretty lacquered little boxes. Not having made reservations we were seated in front of the chef and could observe his concentration as he was working according to strict rules of the art. I marked this restaurant as excellent obviously not based on my miserable experience (all my stupidity I repeat) but on the comments of my partner who knew the place well from her years in Hamburg and the apparent satisfaction of the patrons whom I had ample time to study
Chantal from Canada now living in Sweden

Visited September 2012
UK
“One of the best original japanese restaurants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

We spent a weekend in Hamburg and via tripadvisor we found Matsumi. It was fairly busy and wie didn't have a reservation. We found a place directly at the bar which was ok. Ambiente was very good and pretty japanese. So everthing very down to earth. If you sit directly at the bar, you can appreciate the calm and quiet work of the chef, very impressive.
Food: i ate a lot of Sushi in my life but the sashimi from Matsumi is one of the best i ever tried. The tofu to start was a killer too, even the japanese roasted chicken wings were fantastic.... All over all a perfect dinner....

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hamburg, Germany
“The original Japanese Restaurant in Hamburg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Matsumi, being the oldest Japanese Restaurant in Hamburg, continues to deliver original japanese (not californian) sushi / sashimi and japanese food. the softshell crab was the best I have had in a long time (including softshell crab in Asia). Excellent service and excellent sake.
Japanese tends to be, due to the quality of ingredients involved, on the expensive side.
Matsumi's is expensive for dinner but the quality is reflected in the price also.
In all a wonderful night out.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Bad sushi, moderate service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

My brother and I decided we needed some sushi after over a week of heavy German food, but this was definitely not the place where should have stopped. The sushi was absolutely terrible, although the other Japanese dishes were okay.

Visited August 2011