“Dreadful,Stay away...avoid at all costs! Hotel Polo Novum” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Polo Hamburg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Adenauerallee 7, 20097 Hamburg, Germany (St. Georg)   |
Ranked #216 of 317 Hotels in Hamburg
Germany
“Dreadful,Stay away...avoid at all costs! Hotel Polo Novum”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

The only good point of this Hotel is that is only 5 minutes walk from the main train station...that means it's a Druggie and drinking area! ....however that was fine.
On arrival i was given a room where the door doesn't close properly...(it looked like it had been forced open many times...probably because above this door states emergeny exit!
I returned downstairs and asked for another room...I was then told that the door was fine(although she did not come up and see)...she then phoned her supervisor and asked if there were any rooms in any of the 7 (sister)hotels which are in a five minute radius of the Hotel....she informed me that there were no single rooms available but I could have a double room at an extra cost......I then replied no and was told that the other alternative was to sleep in the broken door room and I could be moved into another room the next day. That night I went onto the internet and found rooms available from the other hotels(ie they lied).
The next day i went down to a basic breakfast and was told that my suitcase will be moved to another room during the day. On my return i was given a key to my new room.....I went up to the new room and without using the key i opened the door.....by luck my bag had not been stolen in the room.... I phoned down to explain that someone had forgotten to lock the room, however it was by luck that my bag was not stolen. I then went to use the dvd player, however without the connecting cable to the t.v it surprisingly doesn't work....I then went down and asked if she had another cable...she looked for two seconds and said no! ...I waited to see what else she sould say, however nothing came out of her mouth...I then asked would could we do?...she then got on the phone and asked the other hotels....she managed to track a cable down and this arrived(which I was pleased about).
The next day I returned to find that the room had not been cleaned and that the towels were still on the floor., however there was now three pieces of fruit on the table.I immediately went down and asked why this had not been done....she then look at the computer and said that I had a do not disturb sign on my door!!!!!! I told her that I didn't and that if that was the case then why had someone come in and place some fruit on the table!!!!!! she had no answer......
the next day someone asked for my email as the hotel will contact me regarding these incidents...surpringly again this did not happen!
Please note that the rooms are extremely tiny,internet works when it feels like and the cleaning is minimal to say the least.....
I travel all the time throughout Germany and this is the worst Hotel that I have had the misfortune to book.
you have been warned! sorry for the long review...however everything is true!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

Once past the tiny and rather steep entrance, the hotel was very comfortable, although space is tight throughout. Our room on the first floor was at the end of a corridor and surprisingly large, with a sofa. I can understand how other reviewers may have found their rooms very small. From our window we could see the stand in the central bus station from which our bus would depart to take us to our Ryanair flight from Lubeck. The mainline station and U bahn are also a very short walk away. Reception staff were 99% helpful - the exception was a polite refusal of a request for a drink of water from the restaurant water cooler. This water was for the breakfast, we were told. The buffet breakfast was fresh, plentiful, and replenished as supplies ran low. Particularly good scrambled egg. Although breakfast officially started at 0630, we were allowed eat closer to 0600 on the morning of our early departure. The tight space I referred to above reminded me of small romantic hotels in Paris, and didn't bother either of us. The shower room (no bath) was very clean, and everything worked.
Two small gripes: There were no instructions with the room safe in the wardrobe, and my wife was woken from time to time by passing ambulances. I slept throughout and commented that this was hardly the hotel's fault. I would happily stay again

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Kolkata
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

The rooms are really REALLY small, and consequently, people with luggage should simply AVOID this hotel. The service is good, the breakfast isn't bad, and the location (near Hauptbahnhof - Central Station) is very convenient, but if the rooms are SO small, it is a BIG dampener. One would literally have to jump over suitcases and luggage to move around the room. A really VERY small and inconvenient property.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

Location was perfect. Staff was friendly and helpful. Room was good-sized, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Stuttgart, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

We reserved a 3 person room, and upon check in notified them we had a VAT tax form. The attendant didn't know, but said we can use it on checkout. Of course on checkout another attendant refused it, as well as calling her superior to check. For a company that runs 12 hotels I imagined they would have dealt with this before, but obviously not. So don't stay here if you are trying to use a VAT form. Otherwise it was an okay stay, good location, mediocre rooms.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

My partner and I stayed here over a weekend in November. Great location, as said before it is across the road from the bus station. We flew with Ryanair to Lubeck and its 10 Euro from the airport to bus station. Bus it waiting outside the airport (tiny airport so can't miss the bus) and takes 50 mins. We arrived early at the hotel and was told we could leave our bags and come back. When checking in we found reception service poor, not very helpful. Our room was on the 5th floor, the attic rooms. Very small sloping ceilings. very very hot even with rad' off and window open. Bathroom was nice n' clean. Breakfast was ok, we went at 8am and had no trouble getting a table. We paid 120 euro for two nights and for the location its a good choice. Christmas markets were lovely also we mainly walked around which was easy, twice used metro which is easy to use. Free maps and information can be obtained from Tourist information in the Main train station which is a 5 min walk from the hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
SPb
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

Plus: Location
Minus: 1) Very cold in the room 2) noise from the street 3) dvd doesn't work

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Polo Hamburg? Share your experiences!