“nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles
“nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Like a typical le Meridien hotel. Clean and spacious and for 30 euro you can have a lake view. Wifi only in the lobby. Walking distance to many restaurants near by. Even the train station is not too far but by taxi it will cost around 5-6 Euro. Room key give you free ride on the shuttle boat on the lake.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMHamburg, General Manager at Le Meridien Hamburg, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your stay at the Le Royal Méridien Hamburg.

We are very happy that you did enjoy your stay with us and we thank you for sharing your impressions with us.

Hopefully we are able to welcome you again very soon at the Alster Lake.

Andreas K.,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Winter Park
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

After looking at the hotel online I was excited to use my Starwood Platinum member "suite upgrade" at the Le Meridien Hamburg. I was a little apprehensive when going to the room since the hallways look like a hospital/prison. I was given room 244 which is a junior suite. My heart sank a little when I opened the door. The room was "junior" and decorated like an ikea showroom, in addition the staff told me not to expect the AC to be like America. The room had 2 windows with no views, semi hardwood floors that had gouges in them making them appear dirty. The room was ok, not my taste but all worked well until bedtime. Room 244 is directly above the parking garage. All night long I heard the garage door opening and shutting. After a sleepless night the next morning I requested to move.
I was moved to room 544, again another "junior" junior suite with no view. Apparently all the junior suites are in the back and have no view. Unfortunately the AC didn't work in this room. Initially the hotel said they were totally booked and to open the windows. I called and asked if there was another hotel nearby since I didn't want to hear the noise from the main street. They made recommendations but then said they would call me back. They called me back and surprised me with an upgrade to a one bedroom suite with a view of the lake.
Room 815 is directly across the street from the lake and was fantastic. It still had the ikea furniture but this room had floor to ceiling windows with a balcony and full views of the lake.
I loved it.
My recommendation is to skip using your suite upgrades if your a platinum member (or not) and to pay for the upgraded suite it is well worth the money especially on a beautiful day. Not only is the room great but 2 blocks behind the hotel is a gay neighborhood with out door cafes and bars. Also the breakfast at the hotel is very good and is recommended. The hotel is a 5-10 minute walk from the main train station. If you have luggage I recommend taking a taxi, its a 5 euro ride. The indoor pool looked great but since the weather was nice I decided to forgo it. I also can't thank the staff enough for making my stay memorable. Next time I'll just reserve the bigger suite and upgrade my review.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
GMHamburg, General Manager at Le Meridien Hamburg, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your feedback on Tripadvisor!

We are very sorry to hear that you had that much complications during your stay and that we could not reach your high standards. Of yourse we are willing to give our Platinum Members the most beautiful suite we have as a suite upgrade, so we would love to improve our impression with your last stay. It is our job to make our guest feel welcome and happy and again we are very sorry you did not feel this way. Thank you for your great comments about our Alster View as well, we are very proud of our amazing location.

Please visit us soon again at Le Meridien Hamburg and we will do everything possible to make your stay a perfect one.

Kind regards,
Andreas K.
Halifax, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I chose this hotel based solely on tripdvisor recommendation. The lobby and reception were not too impressive and so for a time, I doubted the online recommendations. I thought I read them wrong. However, once I was in the rooms and had breakfast at the 9th floor, I became a fan.

PROS
Huge and clean room
Quiet rooms and well-insulated from noise
Beautiful bathrooms with a separate shower and tub areas
Ironing board and trouser press
Free bottled water :)
Beautiful breakfast area overlooking the river
Different breakfast selection
Close to the train station
Very accommodating staff who even ordered my train ticket ( thanks, concierge) and helped me with the business center computer (thanks, front desk)

CON
No free internet

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

we are very thankful about your feedback of your stay at the Le Royal Méridien Hamburg.

We are very happy that you did enjoy your stay with us and we will pass on the impressions to our team.

We hope that we are able to welcome you very soon again at the Alster Lake in Hamburg.

Porto, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Vere good location, quiet and with magnificent view of Alster lake.

Near the Central Station (Hauptbanhhof) and bus terminal.

Nice spa. Good breakfast. Large and nice room.

Very beautiful city to visit.

Room Tip: choose room above the third floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your stay at the Le Royal Méridien Hamburg.

We are very happy about your feedback and that you did enjoy your stay with us.

We are looking forward to you next stay with us at the alster lake!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Have stayed here a number of times and the hotel is consistently good. Rooms are a good size, great bathrooms, well spec'd. Breakfasts on the top floor have great views and good choice. You need to pay for a lake view - otherwise you will be facing inwards at the back of the hotel - good for quietness, but not if you want to see something interesting. Great range of restaurants nearby and a 5k run round the lake makes a good alternative to the gym. The one downside is paying for the Internet. 24hours high speed access cost over 25 euros. There were a couple of hourly options but really today in this quality and price of hotel Internet should be included. I would however recommend the hotel despite this and will stay again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
GMHamburg, General Manager at Le Meridien Hamburg, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your feedback of your stay at the Le Royal Méridien Hamburg.

We are very sorry that we did not fulfill your expectations regarding the internet but we would like to inform you that we do have 100mbit free internet in the lobby.

Except the lobby we offer 24 hrs internet which is limited to EUR 19 with connection to three devises.

Hopefully we are able to welcome you again very soon at our hotel and thank you agin for your recommendation!

Bolzano, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The Le Royal Meridien Hamburg is located at the Alster Lake and is within walking area to the city centre (10 min.). The staff was very helpful and friendly.

The hotel has nice and spacious rooms and we enjoyed our stay very much.

Furthermore the hotel offers free boat rides on the big Alster lake.

It is a great place to stay when coming to Hamburg.

Room Tip: Book the rooms on the back-side. They are more quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

we are very happy about your wonderful feedback at the Le Royal Méridien Hamburg.

Thank you very much and we will pass on your impressions to the team!

In the summertime the boat rides are even more beautiful and we hope to welcome you back by then!

Haiku, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had a suite and it was quite large and suited us well for the 7 nights we stayed at Le Meridien. The location is great. I could walk the Alster every day for exercise, lots of dogs, people and sailboats. There is a Gay-friendly neighborhood with coffee shops directly behind the hotel which was a plus not to mention TONS of shopping nearby. The downside...the carpets are in desperate need of cleaning/replacing throughout...the beds were like rocks...absolutely ZERO padding, not even a mattress pad...the housekeeper...bless her heart....we witnessed her using her cleaning rag...the same one she cleaned the sink and probably the toilet with...then clean the bar glasses...SAME rag. I cannot verify the toilet use but we absolutely saw her clean the sink with it which is gross enough.
The shower was big and fun (they have those shower heads that nobody uses that spray you from your torso). I would not recommend this hotel. There are other hotels with the same great location but I am betting they are cleaner and have beds instead of bricks.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a view of the Alster.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your stay at the Le Royal Méridien Hamburg and for the time you did spent on this entry.

We are very sorry to have let you down with your expectations regarding our property and we are absolutely sorry for the inconveniences during your stay. We discussed the encountered situations in our Management Team and we will make sure that this will never happen again.

Please let us know before you will arrive next time to our hotel and contact our guest relations manager via e-mail victoria.vollrath@lemeridien.com and we will make sure to compensate your negative impressions from your last stay.

We hope that we are able to welcome you again very soon at the Alster Lake and in our hotel.

Andreas K.,

Been to Le Meridien Hamburg? Share your experiences!