“Excellent hotel. Very good location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall

You added Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall to your Saves list
Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Alter Wall 40, 20457 Hamburg, Germany (Hamburg-Altstadt)   |
Ranked #20 of 317 Hotels in Hamburg
buenos aires, argentina
“Excellent hotel. Very good location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We booked a twin bed room using booking.com. When we arrived they told us that this hotel only have one bed rooms. They offer a roll bed. The size of the room is medium, but the bathroom is excelent. Also the bar & the restaurant are nice. All you could expect from a sofitel, and more!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear gustavoarg,

we very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am a little bit surprised regarding your comment that you have booked a twin bed on booking.com. Normally there is no offer for a twin bed so that we will double-check. So we would like to thank you very much for this important information.
In future it would be a pleasure for our reservation department to advise you while your next booking so that your next stay will be more pleasant as the previous one.

Gilles Felgen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Markfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We spent a couple of nights here recently whilst on a short visit to Hamburg. The location is great, right in the centre of Hamburg complete with underground carparking. The impressive townhall (Rathaus) and the main shopping area are just a short walk away. Added to that, one of the tourist hop on/hop off buses stops in front of the hotel.

The welcome we received was very professional and in general that was our impression of all the staff. Our room was large and comfortable with the most amazing bed and pillows, it would be hard not to sleep very well in these wonderfully comfortable beds.

The only downside is the breakfast which is way over priced, you can choose from an Express Breakfast for €14, a Continental Breakfast for €24 or the Brekafast Buffet for €29. The main difference between the Continental and the Express breakfasts seemed to be the addition of a selection of cold meats. If you selected the Express Breakast, you had to stay at the table and be waited on which felt more than a little uncomfortable. Following that odd experience the following morning we chose for Starbucks, coffee and something to eat for two people for less than €10 and its just across the street on the corner.

Breakfast experience aside, this is a great hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear amwathome,

thank you very much for having commented your stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.

I will share your feedback with our team and I am sure it will serve as motivation to keep our high service standards.

That is correct that we offer different choices of breakfast. Please be kindly informed that we have also established a coffeeshop for you, where there is a smaller selection of everything you need for a great start in the morning.
In addition I am pleased to read that our modern room with the soothing MyBed concept and exquisite bathroom make your stay an unforgettable experience.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.

Warfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I visited this very stylish hotel two years ago and, when making the booking, I had a nagging doubt, thinking that there was something memorable about this hotel. I just couldn't remember if it was good or bad. It was the beds! Amazing, just like sinking into a Marshmallow and then the pillows wrap around you head to feel like someone's holding you. The Room Service was very good but I would say that the choice was a bit limited. What I did very much like was the room layout with the sofa and footrest with a small table in front of the widescreen TV. Ideal for having the Room Service dinner on, which by the way, was very good quality.
There is quite a large building project going on nearby and the hotel do alert you to the fact that the street facing rooms might be noisy. However, I was in an end room on the canal side and it was very, very quiet.
I will definitely look to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Alan T,

thank you very much for staying at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall and as well for taking the time to write your feedback.
It is nice to read that the room with the soothing MyBed concept makes your stay an unforgettable experience. Kindly be informed that you can purchase our special “My Bed” concept to enjoy the same comfortable sleep and Sofitel experience at home. Please do not hesitate to contact our Quality Manager ( Tel : +49 40 369 500 or h5395-QM@sofitel.com) for more information.
I would like to thank you for your positive comments and pass them over to my team.

Dear Alan T, once again thank you for having chosen the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall to stay at and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Sincerely
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is a very smart, modern hotel in great central Hamburg location. Received a polite if not over-friendly welcome and not sure if Accor Platinum card made much difference to the booking. Room was light, airy and not over-spacious but suited needs perfectly. The bed/pillows provided some of the most comfortable sleep I've enjoyed in a hotel. Breakfast buffet offered substantial range of interesting food. Impressive hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear peelthestain,

thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will be happy to pass your feedback over to my team, of course.
Moreover I am pleased to read that our modern room with the soothing MyBed concept and exquisite bathroom make your stay an unforgettable experience.

Thank you again for sharing your experience. We would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Great hotel in super location near centre and attractions. Easy to get to by S Bahn from airport.

Had a Junior Suite which was well appointed and large enough for the three of us.

Very helpful staff who went out of their way to make out sons birthday special. Concierge was particularly helpful with restaurants, local information and advice.

The quality of the food at breakfast was excellent but a little expensive for the whole family.

We used the spa which was really relaxing and our son was made welcome too.

Room service was good quality and efficient.

Overall a great choice of hotel for location, quality and staff. They made it clear that families were very welcome which doesn't always happen .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Angela L,

thank you very much for staying at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall and for taking the time to write this feedback.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as we have committed ourselves to make you feel at home while away.
Kindly be informed that we offer different choices of breakfast, so please do not hesitate to contact our restaurant staff during your next stay.
Dear Angela L, once again, thank you very much for your comments and we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Dusseldorf, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We recently stayed at the Sofitel to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We stayed in a junior suite that was spacious and comfortable. Service received was very good, friendly and polite. Nice touch having apples at reception to take! Buffet breakfast was amazing! There was building work opposite but this didn't disturb us. Extremely comfortable beds as always in sofitels... We are now considering buying one in fact!

Only criticisms would be... Seems crazy that you still have to pay for the Internet, we felt it should be provided free. Also, we spent sometime in the spa and had a couple of treatments. The pool water was so cold, we didn't stay in long and to warm up I ordered a hot chocolate. We were charged for this and I felt that it should have been included especially as we'd booked treatments.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Hannah_2912,

Thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team.
In addition it is a pleasure to read that the great morning buffet with french flair met your expectations and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.
Kindly be informed that we offer free Internet wifi in all areas of the hotel.
In addition, I would be pleased if you contact our Quality Manager ( Tel : +49 40 369 500 or H5395-QM@sofitel.com) with more details regarding your spa experience. This is not our standard that you have to pay for your hot beverage after the treatment.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.

Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Very comfortable beds but the kingsize bed in the luxury room was formed by two beds together. There was a gap covered by a sheet and one night I rolled into it and woke with a very uncomfortable shoulder.

The room service was excellent. The Spa was very relaxing and the Spa staff were extremely helpful.

My only complaint- The restaurant staff failed to serve my fiancé and I after seating us. We waited for fifteen minutes before walking to the lake to eat on a boat with a far better view.

I would recommend Sofitel for a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed October 2013
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear lanmaccy,

Criticism and hints how to do things better, will help us to reach our goals and increase our guest’s satisfaction. We are very grateful that you described your experience in our Restaurant “Ticino” which will help us to improve.

Gilles Felgen

Been to Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall? Share your experiences!