“Check out process needs urgent review!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall

You added Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall to your Saves list
Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Alter Wall 40, 20457 Hamburg, Germany (Hamburg-Altstadt)   |
Ranked #21 of 316 Hotels in Hamburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
England
“Check out process needs urgent review!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Check in staff were friendly - had to fill in a time-consuming form which seemed surplus to requirements......
Room was very clean. Decor felt somewhat clinical and sparse although sofa at the end of the bed was a good touch.
Bar staff very friendly and attentive.
What pulled down the rating was the dreadful check out process - it took far too long and clearly needs reviewing. There were two queues with 4/5 people in each queue all of whom were getting frustrated with the lengthy process. Hope they change the process soon as it was a disappointing end to a good stay.

• Stayed March 2013
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Cbear0510,

thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. I am sorry that your experience did not fully meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
It is our goal thanks to high Sofitel standards to make your stay always the most comfortable one.

Criticism and hints how to do things better, will help us to reach our goals and increase our guest’s satisfaction. We are very grateful that you described your check out experience which will help us to improve.
Moreover I am particularly happy to read that all other services matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team.

We hope, you find a second home when travelling to Hamburg and we are looking forward to welcoming you back at to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.

Gilles Felgen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

It has been one of frequent return calls at a hotel already known from previous trips. So no surprises expected. Great location, we are corporate customers - must be a great stay.
But not this time. Check-in as swift as usual but the room - well you find it only at night. There is a city rail in Hamburg and it operates also at night. And if you are "lucky" to get a street side room - you feel it and hear it as if the train was going through your room. Don't believe my words! Try it!

In the morning I asked for the room to be changed to the canal side (I was staying two nights). And the receptionist refused saying that there are no rooms available, and I already got an upgrade... Basically - I should feel delighted that I was permitted to stay at the hotel at all! No arguments accepted - not possible.

How nice it was to get the room changed within next 15 minutes after discussion with Sales Manager! The rooms were available and the rate was not a problem. It seems that the receptionist had a bad day - one of those when it is easier to say "NOW" then "YES".

we have 2 cooperating hotels in Hamburg. Next time I will surely try the other one...

Room Tip: By all means do not accept street side rooms even if they pay you for that!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear aszanti,

thank you very much for taking some time to inform us about your opinion and your impressions of our hotel.
We assure you that it is our highest ambition to have satisfied guests who are looking forward to return to our hotel. Therefore it is much to our regret that your stay in our hotel did not perfectly match with your plan and expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
I am surprised to read that you did not enjoy your stay. Indeed, during your last visit, you were very satisfied with the room facing the Alter Wall and I ask you to kindly contact our Quality Manager (H5395-QM@sofitel.com) in order to provide him with your room number so that we can check the soundproof of the room.

Dear aszanti, once again, thank you very much for your comments and we would be pleased to welcoming you back to the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, business or leisure brings you to Hamburg.

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My wife and I spent four days in Hamburg and thoroughly enjoyed this hotel. The room (luxury room) was really spacious and the 3.2 m to the ceiling was a nice feature.

The staff was as friendly and helpful as you could expect, and the "feel" of the hotel was great: quiet, tidy, luxurious.

The spa is nice, but a bit small.

Our only criticism is the price of the breakfast buffet: appr. 30 EUR pr. person is a LOT of money compared to what most people can consume at breakfast. We opted for nice cafes of which there are plenty in the immediate vicinity.

But otherwise thumbs up!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear denkrab,

we very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
In addition it is nice to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a positive experience at the hotel.
Moreover we offer different choices of breakfast, so please do not hesitate to contact our restaurant staff during your next stay.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

A good hotel at the epic center of Hamburg. The hotel is located at the Alter Wall which is at the other site of the center canal where the Neuer Wall is full of shops of the uber-class. The hotel has a public car park just below, a spa and several restaurants. As always ask you Conciërge (Christian Kluess) for good restaurants and you will not be disappointed as he knows the local scene very well. Rooms are at a good level of comfort and the bathrooms are also of a good size.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Flateric09,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team including especially one of our concierges Christian Kluess.
It is nice to read that you like the modern art of the hotel. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your whole stay with us and that you had a positive experience at the hotel.
We hope, you find a second home when travelling to Hamburg and we are looking forward to welcoming you back at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Location, ambience are perfect. Walking distance to the fancy, diverse shopping areas around the Alster lake. Service from doormen, check in, concierge were impeccable. The (deluxe) room was very well appointed, spacious and had a very nice, large bathroom. The drawback was, that it was facing away from the canal on which the hotel is located. From very early in the morning, a very noisy subway is surfacing from underground, lumbering up an incline with a turn, causing a screech that can wake up the soundest sleeper. Windows, although double glazed, provide little "protection" and even earplugs didn't help. After two nights, I requested a new room facing the canal. Service staff were extremely kind and helpful, another room was available and my belongings were moved without having to pack up. The next 2 nights were paradise by comparison.
The hotel is modern, stylish, has a very comfortable bar with great service and a very beautiful spa. With a room facing the canal, the Sofitel is a very good choice for downtown Hamburg

Room Tip: Try for room facing the canal
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Hongkon,

Thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.
I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team.
In addition it is a pleasure to read that the great morning buffet with the french flair met your expectations and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was a really fantastic hotel. I was astonished by it's location. About 5 minutes walk from the Rathaus and the same from the nearest S-bahn stop (Landungsbrucke) direct service from the airport. It was also about 10 minutes walk from the main shopping street starting at the Neuer Wall. The staff were, as always at Sofitel, immaculate, helpful and kind. The facilities were very good. Great spa, free internet at the PC's in public areas and good restaurants. Food quality was superb... (I particularly recommend the buffet breakfast. Both cooked and continental styles available but also a section for North German specialities - smoked fish and herring etc.) Rooms were excellent. The bed was comfortable and had the usual pillowed under blanket. The bathroom had a separate shower room - unexpected in a standard room. The only slight negative was that a "double" bed consisted of 2 singles pushed together. The bar was excellent, a good selection of German beers and some really good cocktails including some invented by the bar team themselves. A very comfortable and highly enjoyed stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Stuartm,

thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay.
Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve.

Bochum
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall is a modern Hotel in the middle of Hamburg. The lobby is really nice and smells good :-)
We had the prestige Suite which was really nice and well equipped.
Breakfast was a little bit poor for a 5* Hotel.
Spa was good too

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Gilles_Felgen, Manager at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Christian S,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

It is nice to read that our prestige Suite with the soothing “MyBed” concept and exquisite bathrooms make your stay an unforgettable experience.
In addition I am really sorry to read that your experience at breakfast did not matched your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Gilles Felgen

Been to Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall? Share your experiences!