“Nice rooms but Spa was unavailable impeccable service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg

Save Saved
You added Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg to your Saves list
Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Heiligengeistbruecke 4 | 20459 Hamburg, 20459 Hamburg, Germany   |
Ranked #44 of 316 hotels in Hamburg
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Nice rooms but Spa was unavailable impeccable service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

In the beginning something went wrong twice the Spa wasnt open while we hoped to go and they only booked us for 1 night while we booked two. But problem was solved quickly. When we couldnt find a parkingspace the second day because the garage was full one of the employees even parked our car when there was a spot free in the garage so we were really carefree. I had a really late checkout and problems with the internet connection but also these were solved in no time. Breakfast however is quite expensive so i would recommend to go for a bit of a walk there are quite some really good others in the neighbourhood for less. The gym is quite nice with a good view. I would definately recommend it to someone else!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bernd Z, General Manager at Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Lietsa,

Thank you so much for your very valuable and much appreciated feedback following your last stay with us. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend our hotel to someone else. Please accept our deepest apologies for the misunderstanding with your booking but we were happy to hear that this problem was solved quickly. We look forward to welcoming you back in not too distant future!

Kind regards,

438 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We have stayed in Steigenberger in Hamburg for many times. We love this hotel because of the location, nice architecture, very big rooms and nice service. Unfortunately the service is not a 5 star service anymore.

The rooms are clean when you do arrive to the hotel, but the cleaning of the room is very poor during the stay.

We had all the time some problems with the key cards. They doesn't work work well. We had to change them a few times. We stayed in the same hotel 2 times during the spring and we had problems with the keys and doors on both times. Its quite annoying when you can't get into the room and have to go to the reception to change your key.

The restaurant menu is very poor. The food is quite tastless.

Wi-fi is not for free. Even in the business center you have to pay for the use of the computer and printer.

Probably next time we visit Hamburg we will find some new place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013
Bernd Z, General Manager at Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear IDMoscow,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay in the Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg. Only by constructive criticism of our guests we are able to improve constantly our services and we would like to apologize that you had those problems with the key cards. We take your complaint very sincere and currently we are planning to renew the key card system of the hotel within the near future. It is true that WiFi is not free of charge but it is not true that our guests have to pay for using the computer and printer in the Business Corner. The use of the Business Corner is a service we provide free of charge.

We are very sorry that your stay in our hotel did not meet the level of expectation you had and we hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future visit to show you we can do better.

London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

From the moment we arrived to check out the hotel delivered.
Immaculate reception, very clean rooms and public areas, fantastic breakfast with attentive staff.
Location is very convenient for both harbour and shopping area.
Spa is faultless and brilliantly designed. The 5th floor sauna has a window with views towards the harbour.
Rooms looks a bit dated, but not tired or worn. Windows can be opened and beds are German with 2 single duvets for a king size bed.
If the price was right again I'd come back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bernd Z, Manager at Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Pro-Flyer,

Thank you very much for posting a review of your recent stay with us. We are really delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and your compliments to the staff and the breakfast are very appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg on a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can assist with your booking.

Kind regards,
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Cost Data : 4 nights Room only (Thurs-Sun) Euro 574 - prebooked and prepaid. Tourist Tax Euro 17.12 added on departure. (see comments below)

Normally go for cheaper hotels but experience has taught us to pay a bit extra when in large cities to avoid 'dodgy' or 'out of town' areas - this hotel did not disappoint.

Location was excellent. Only 1 minute from S-Bahn Stadthausbrucke station (S1 + S3 Lines) and U-Bahn Rodinsmarkt statiuon (U3 Line). The S1 line is direct to/from the airport (35 minutes - Euro1.90 single). The locality feels very safe and overlooks a small 'square' and canal area that has several restaurants/bars (I really enjoyed the 'Rheinische Republik') and yet is not overly noisy. 20 minute walk to HauptBahnhof, 10 minutes to the Rathaus, 15 minutes to the HafenCity and 15 minutes to the Alster.

Facilities as expected in a 5 star hotel - good sized rooms/bathrooms, air conditioning, clean, staff very helpful and friendly. Spacious communal areas. Comfortable mattress and pillows. There is a spa - but didn't use these facilities - too busy exploring Hamburg !

Although the menu looked good, we gave breakfast a miss as it was charged at Euros 28 pppd - full breakfast (continental - 1 drink plus 2 small croissants priced at Euro 12.50 pppd). Plenty of cafes/bakeries nearby that offer this type of breakfast at a quarter of the price. As is the norm in Germany, no kettle/coffee making facilities - but we take our own travel kettle/coffee sachets so not an issue to us. Nice touch was the umbrella in the room for those rainy days - we did actually have to use it one day and it saved us having to go out and buy one.

I doubt the location can be bettered - we found it central and within walking distance to all the main sights in Hamburg, easy to access the S Bahn for the Airport (and the International Garden Exhibition). The area feels safe and is clean. I would recommend this hotel and will certainly stay here again when next in Hamburg.

Tourist Tax : I know it's not a huge amount but it's a shame it isn't included in the room rate as a hidden cost - I know this is a City tax and not of the hotel's doing - but it sticks in my throat that having chosen to spend my hard earned cash in a particular city, supporting their hotels, restaurants, cafes, museums, shops and generally adding to their economy (in these hard pressed times), they then want to tax me for the pleasure ! - which economist thought of that I wonder - encouraging people to spend their money in your city by taxing them ? Crazy, absolutely crazy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bernd Z, Manager at Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Hauxton,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a detailed review of your recent stay here at Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg. We are delighted you enjoyed it so much and we hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for three nights, with a friend in April. The staff was very friendly and the room was large. The room was clean and the maid service was excellent. They check your room in the evening, and leave candy for you.
The hotel spa was closed; however, the hotel disclosed this before our stay. They made arrangements for us to use the pool at another hotel close by. There was no problem with this arrangement, and the other hotel was informed about our arrival by the Steigenberger. The other hotel spa staff and front desk were very friendly. The only negatives are that there is no free internet and a coffee maker in the room. I stayed in the Steigenberger in Berlin, and they had an excellent coffee maker. I do not know why the same company would not have such in a different city. I really need my coffee in the morning, and my friend needs her tea. However, there is a Starbucks nearby and we brought our own travel boiler with us, because we knew this in advance. We did not go to the breakfast at the hotel, because it was too expensive.The location was excellent, within walking distance of many attractions.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Bernd Z, Manager at Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear DRJINX,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share those very positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg. It is wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your stay! Thank you also for your comments regarding the coffee maker in the room. We offer room categories where coffee makers are provided and we are actually having plans to equip more rooms with these facilities. Please let us know that you would prefer such a room when making your booking for your next stay at our hotel. We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best regards,
Sutton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Walked into the lobby at 3:10 pm after a long drive and reguested my 2 booked rooms.Was told by a non-smiling and unfriendly male receptionist to wait another 10min. since they were being prepared.In the meantime,he and the other receptionists proceded to check in at least 30 odd customers and the clock ticked on.40 min.later,I noticed that our receptionist had dissapeared.He hadn't even bothered to turn our way or give us an excuse or to say he was sorry for the delay.I aproached the desk and spoke to another receptionist re. our situation and he just pulled out the paperwork and handed us the keys which were most likely there and in order for some time.No excuse or a smile from him either.
The rooms,though spacious,had filthy and dusty carpeting and were facing the traintracks across the street.Very noisy at night.
Their spa was closed for repairs and we were directed to another hotel's spa which we of course did not use.No mention of this problem when we booked though and no compensation..not even a welcome drink or a fruit basket.
Overall,this hotel was way below what we expected considering it's chain's popularity re. quality.Very unfriendly and for almost 200 euros a pop,I almost choked on it.
There are much better and cheaper hotels in that district.We unfortunately made the discovery too late.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear nordicbare,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on TripAdvisor following you recent stay with us. Our greatest goal is to make sure that our guests have a most enjoyable stay with us and we are truly sorry that we did not achieve our goal on this occasion. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered and rest assured, your feedback has enabled us to review procedures and standards within the departments involved. Once again my apologies and thank you for your feedback. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future visit to show you we can do better.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed at the Steigenberger for three nights in April 2013. My observations are:

i) there is nothing wrong with the rooms or the facilities but the decoration is bland and has nothing to recommend it

ii) the one meal I had in-house was good but the menu was both extremely limited and unimaginative

iii) there are no shops or facilities in the local area open at the weekend - the nearest place I could buy a chocolate bar at 5pm on a Sunday was apparently at the main train station, 20 minutes walk away - in short, the local area was dull and boring

iv) the doors to the rooms do not close automatically, unlike every other large hotel I have ever stayed in - I found myself getting undressed in the room only to realise that the door was still open and passers-by could see in

v) the hotel tried to charge me a EUR 10 tax on check-out but I refused so they backed down - inspecting the documentation from my travel agent later, I saw that this tax had already been collected as part of the price paid so the hotel had tried to charge me this amount incorrectly

vi) I did not sleep well - the pillows were far too soft and did not offer any support - I asked for a firmer pillow at reception and one was delivered, but it was still much softer than the ones I have at home.

Overall, I was reasonably happy for the price paid (GBP 110 per night as part of an Expedia secret hotels deal) but I would rather stay elsewhere next time, even if the price was higher.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear LSEOliver,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg. We are happy to hear that you found there was nothing wrong but we are quite surprised and disappointed to hear all these comments about your feelings concerning the decoration, the menu and the location. Our hotel is located directly in the city centre and most of our guests appreciate the location. Indeed in Germany shops are closed on Sundays, this is a fact we are unfortunately not able to change. I am sorry for the misunderstanding with the tax - I am sure that this happened through an oversight and please accept my deepest apologies for this.

General Manager Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg

Been to Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg? Share your experiences!