Cost Data : 4 nights Room only (Thurs-Sun) Euro 574 - prebooked and prepaid. Tourist Tax Euro 17.12 added on departure. (see comments below)
Normally go for cheaper hotels but experience has taught us to pay a bit extra when in large cities to avoid 'dodgy' or 'out of town' areas - this hotel did not disappoint.
Location was excellent. Only 1 minute from S-Bahn Stadthausbrucke station (S1 + S3 Lines) and U-Bahn Rodinsmarkt statiuon (U3 Line). The S1 line is direct to/from the airport (35 minutes - Euro1.90 single). The locality feels very safe and overlooks a small 'square' and canal area that has several restaurants/bars (I really enjoyed the 'Rheinische Republik') and yet is not overly noisy. 20 minute walk to HauptBahnhof, 10 minutes to the Rathaus, 15 minutes to the HafenCity and 15 minutes to the Alster.
Facilities as expected in a 5 star hotel - good sized rooms/bathrooms, air conditioning, clean, staff very helpful and friendly. Spacious communal areas. Comfortable mattress and pillows. There is a spa - but didn't use these facilities - too busy exploring Hamburg !
Although the menu looked good, we gave breakfast a miss as it was charged at Euros 28 pppd - full breakfast (continental - 1 drink plus 2 small croissants priced at Euro 12.50 pppd). Plenty of cafes/bakeries nearby that offer this type of breakfast at a quarter of the price. As is the norm in Germany, no kettle/coffee making facilities - but we take our own travel kettle/coffee sachets so not an issue to us. Nice touch was the umbrella in the room for those rainy days - we did actually have to use it one day and it saved us having to go out and buy one.
I doubt the location can be bettered - we found it central and within walking distance to all the main sights in Hamburg, easy to access the S Bahn for the Airport (and the International Garden Exhibition). The area feels safe and is clean. I would recommend this hotel and will certainly stay here again when next in Hamburg.
Tourist Tax : I know it's not a huge amount but it's a shame it isn't included in the room rate as a hidden cost - I know this is a City tax and not of the hotel's doing - but it sticks in my throat that having chosen to spend my hard earned cash in a particular city, supporting their hotels, restaurants, cafes, museums, shops and generally adding to their economy (in these hard pressed times), they then want to tax me for the pleasure ! - which economist thought of that I wonder - encouraging people to spend their money in your city by taxing them ? Crazy, absolutely crazy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The modern 5* superior hotel, built in the typical Hanseatic style, is located in the city centre, only a few steps away from all the places of interest and excellent shopping facilities. A total of 233 generously sized rooms and suites offer the comfort that is expected by travellers. The Shiseido Day Spa with a panoramic sauna, steam baths, relax lounge and a large range of different types of massages, Ayurveda and beauty treatment take care of you after an exciting day. Thanks to a roof terrace, there is a fitness area available for open-air training right in the midst of the city. At the Restaurant am Fleet situated directly at the waterfront, you will enjoy your breakfast with a magnificent view over the Alster waterway. In the Bistro am Fleet with attached conservatory, you can enjoy the light, Mediterranean-style kitchen as well as unusual Euro-Asian creations and a daily changing business lunch. The Pianobar with live music and a Davidoff Cigar Lounge will offer the perfect end to the day. At the newly openend SABAI restaurant you can savour a modern cuisine with the best of Asian and European cuisine. From now on: free Wi-Fi (256 kb), high speed internet per 24 hours: € 8.00. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, EasyToBook, Escapio and Tingo so you can book your Steigenberger Hotel Hamburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Steigenberger Hamburg Hotel Hamburg
- Hamburg Steigenberger Hotel