“The place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Elysee Hotel Hamburg

You added Grand Elysee Hotel Hamburg to your Saves list
Grand Elysee Hotel Hamburg
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rothenbaumchaussee 10, 20148 Hamburg, Germany (Rotherbaum)   |
Ranked #10 of 317 Hotels in Hamburg
Bad Buchau
“The place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

After a long time I checked in again and I start to enjoy the atmosphere. For me it´s THE place in Hamburg. My first "check in" was in 1986 and I still feel comfortable. To have a coffee in the Lobby or a drink at the piano bar. It´s for me a place to relax.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Staying at the Grand Elysee was a series of annoyances that led me to move to another hotel. The annoyances started during the booking phase, where I wanted a cot but they wanted to charge me 60 euros/night extra. I called the hotel manager, and thankfully she agreed that the cot would be complimentary (I was already paying for two people). Upon arrival, I see that there is no door on the bedroom in the suite, and the cot placed right across from the king bed. They had moved the desk right in front of the TV. Anyone should see that you don't put a furniture right in front of the TV. So I and my friend, the first thing we did uppon arrival was move furniture. Then, I couldn't turn on the lights in the bedroom. I called for service. Ohhh, the light switches are hidden under the lamps, not the ones perfectly visible next to the bed, because those switches are old (but were never removed). The fellow who brought up our luggage, normally the porters would give a brief instruction on the room; he didn't. Then, I tried to make hot water using the hot water/coffee maker. Couldn't figure it out. No instructions anywhere. Had to call service again. I was told all suites were non-smoking. There clearly had been smoking in my room. The waiter at the restaurant didn't give us what we ordered, nor did he seek clarification on his assumption. He also didn't show us that the menu opens in 3, so 2/3 of the menu we missed. In the room, to get the wifi internet working was frustrating to the point of wanting to quit. Even had to call for service on that. Finally, when I went to cancel the reservation, the lady at the desk said I had to do it online and refered me to the computers next to the desk. I had to call her back - how do you turn the computer on? I had to call her back again - where is the @ key? I had to call her back a third time - where on your website do I cancel the reservations? Even she couldn't find it, so she phoned reservations and made the cancellation. Why couldn't she have done that in the first place? I am dumbfounded that anyone has found their stay at the Grand Elysee a good one. The only reason I can figure out is that they haven't stayed any place else.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have to travel to Hamburg on business two or three times a year and always stay at The Elysee. As someone who travels a lot for business it is always good to arrive at The Elysee and there is a sense of "coming home". The atmosphere is a wonderful mix of efficient, friendly, relaxed and as a lone female traveller very comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dusseldorf
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

rooms are a bit old fashion but everything works and beds are still comfortable.
Most remarkable abr this hotel is the friendliness and professionalism of the staff.
from fast check in to check out, restaurant, concierge, etc. to the nice lady at the breakfast table..... a very good team and that is probably the reason why i return to this place every year since 1996 .....
keep it up !!!

• Stayed January 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel is beautiful. The lobby is grand and the room is comfortable and clean- it has the best bath I have ever had in a hotel.

The restaurants are extremely delicious and the hotel is in an amazing location- very close to Dammtor train station.

Will be returning to this hotel when I return to Hamburg.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The Grand Elysee failed to impress from the very start of my stay. The room was clean and comfortable, the facilities were good in so much that there is a pool lit by changing coloured lights and a mixed informal sauna area offering varying types of bodily pampering. However, I though that the staff on reception were fairly laclustre and unhelpful. My frustration from the outset was the lack of information I was given regarding the car park. On arrival, after being told I would need to pay more for th eroom that was previously advised, I was handed a token to use when exiting and entering the underground parking facility for the duration of my stay; I swapped the token for the paper receipt spat out from the machine at the barrier. Never was I told that the token would cost me 18 euros per day, so when I checked out and was asked to pay an additional 72 euros I obviously questioned why. The answer was short and without emotion, 'parking'. When I made my final exist after begrudgingly paying the bill the token would not work in order to raise the barrier, much to the disgust of the drivers in the three exiting cars behind me. So, I had to usher the other cars back, reverse out and drive to the lift and head back to reception. This all sounds reasonably petty but be warned, it was a very frustrating experience made worse by the robotic staff at reception.

Room Tip: Level 1 is handy for the wellness centre