“The ugliest hotel... Worst staff” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Hamburg City Centre Berliner Tor

Wyndham Garden Hamburg City Centre Berliner Tor
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Borgfelder Strasse 1-9, 20537 Hamburg, Germany   |
Ranked #182 of 316 Hotels in Hamburg
“The ugliest hotel... Worst staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2015

The night shift manager... An Italian guy as I recall... Who had the worst manners ever... Hotel is very old... Room is rusty... Breakfast is pethitic... Stay away from this hotel is my advice... It should be turned into a slaughterhouse

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Timo E, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Hamburg City Centre Berliner Tor, responded to this review, March 27, 2015
Dear Laith,
First of all, I would like to thank you for your time and comments, although your judgement on your stay with us is not really a credit to our Hotel.
It goes without saying that I have spoken to our Night Manager and I hereby would like to apologize for the misunderstanding and ambiguous situation that occurred on that specific occasion. This collegue has been with us for more than 30 years and obviously, he never meant to be rude. Also on behalf of my team, I would like to invite you to stay with us again next time you are in Hamburg, in order to prove our customer orientated and professional services. Yours sincerely, Heiko Lucht, Cluster General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2015

I will start with the positives, the hotel and room I stayed in were clean and tidy. The room was quite small for a double room, but adequate. Strange to find that there were no tea or coffee making facilities in any of the rooms, you usually take that as a standard facility in any hotel/b and b. The advertised fruit basket in reception was none existent, but worse still, and the main reason I chose to book into this hotel, the advertised free use of a local gym was not as advertised. The potential use of a gym whilst on a long stay was the reason I chose this hotel, and as advertised on the website, I asked at reception for details. What they have in place is a daily use agreement with the local gym, rather than having to be a member, you can pay 10 euros a day to use the gym.. Hardly free! If I had know this fact beforehand, I would probably have stayed elsewhere. Also certain members of staff, although functional and adequate at their job could probably do with some lessons in customer service. A smile and pleasant demeanour go along way in welcoming guests to a hotel.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2014

Booked this hotel room threw name your own price with Priceline.. was placed on the 4th floor I found the place to be pretty good if your a business traveler. Hotel is a 2-3 minute walking distance to the main train line that will take your downtown in under 10 minutes. Unfortunately the train line closes just before 1am and had to walk back from downtown that took over 30+ minutes.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

Having been booked in hotel by the travel agent I did go onto trip advisor beforehand to see the reviews. Some of the reviews were not very good so we were a bit apprehensive before arriving. I must say we were very pleasantly surprised as we were made very welcome. The staff were very helpful and obliging and the food was very good. I must agree that the room was on the small size, though quite adequate for a short stay, and the shower cubicle was quite a challenge to get in and out of, it was so small. We found the bed very comfortable and we slept well. I would most certainly come back to this hotel, though perhaps not in the summer as there is no air conditioning.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Corona, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2014

Hotel is in the city center and relatively close to most of the business district.

The hotel seemed to be under renovation and reconstruction while I was there... had to move tools out of the way to be able to exit the elevator when I got to my floor. The room was extremely small and the bathroom/shower was so small it was actually uncomfortable. It might not be fair to give the hotel a very poor rating for cleanliness, but having to maneuver my way through construction trash and tools made a bad impression.

The staff was extremely nice and helpful!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2014

The hotel looks quite foreboding from the outside. But it is ....interesting. I think the lounge and bar area look very inviting. The sweeping stairs and decor are quite unexpected.
The rooms are very small, (well mine was) but perfectly formed. No TV available at all (in English).
I was here as work was a mere two mins work away. I did explore a little by walking into town but had been misdirected by the reception staff so walked a bit further than I wanted to.
Hamburg looks like a wonderful city and I want to revisit when I can explore.
This hotel was alright for a couple of nights, but I wouldn't want to stay for much longer.
Breakfast choice typical continental fare with a few eggs and bacon.

Room Tip: Being next to the railway and a busy road choosing a room high up or own the side away from the rail...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Tartu, Estonia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

My company was participating at an expo and we chose this hotel because of its convenient location - take the U2, a couple of stops and you are at the South entrance of the expo center.
In total I spent 10 nights in the hotel and got a full experience.
- Rooms are a bit small, but you don't need much to sleep.
- Like mentioned in some previous reviews, noise is a bit of a nuisance. I had the windows closed but the problem was the noise coming from the inside of the hotel. There was a bigger tourist group staying in the hotel at the same time, so whenever they started their day, my day started as well.
- Bathroom was very cramped. There is no easy fix for that. I am of average build (European average, not American) and had trouble fitting in to the shower and to dry myself off I just stepped out of the bathroom. Otherwise I kept hitting the walls with my elbows.
- Breakfast was good quality wise, but the choice is not that big and since I had it 10 times, it got pretty boring by the end. If you want to have coffee, you either need to catch a waiter or be noticed by one. Some days when there were more people having breakfast, it was impossible to get coffee. There are machines nowadays that can handle coffee brewing and dispensing.

Because I read the reviews here prior to booking the hotel, I was prepared. But if you go there unprepared expecting a 4 star hotel, you'll definitely be disappointed and have a bad experience (like the reviewers before me).
A short stay could be quite all right. 10 nights was a bit frustrating.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business

Been to Wyndham Garden Hamburg City Centre Berliner Tor? Share your experiences!