“Not what it once was; recent change in management” 1 of 5 stars

Novum Hotel Koenigshof Hamburg Innenstadt
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pulverteich 18, 20099 Hamburg, Germany (St. Georg)   |
Ranked #214 of 316 Hotels in Hamburg
Pennsylvania
“Not what it once was; recent change in management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

I have stayed at Hotel Konigshof more than 15 times in the past 6 or 7 years. It has always been a gay-owned and managed guest house and widely advertised as such in publications. My stays have always been perfect. The staff friendly and helpful--in fact I knew them all by name. The location is perfect, just minutes by foot from the main train station. On my most recent stay--without any advance notice from the former or new owners I was very dismayed to walk in and find all has changed. It is now owned by some hotel consortium. In short there is no gay presence at all, the staff is indifferent, full payment was demanded immediately and only after did I learn I was not given my usual and reserved room but a smaller one. In addition when I saw the internet rates posted were significantly lower and requested an adjustment I was given off-putting answers and before departure was told I'd have to write to a central person...who sent a brief reply weeks later refusing any adjustment. Other annoying changes: the breakfast spread is terrible compared to the elegantance of before and the desk actually wanted me to leave my key everytime I came and went! "You might lose it!". I will never go back. And gay travelers should be advised that this is no longer the HK we've always loved staying at.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Nottingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

Perhaps this hotel is as pleasant as other reviews on this site indicate. I wouldn't know. I never ended up even seeing my room.

When I booked a double room for my mother and myself, I confirmed with the hotel desk by telephone that rooms with two beds were available. No problem, they said; just indicate in your reservation that you want one.

On the day of arrival, however, I learned that the hotel had given out all double rooms with twin beds that morning. I had a bad cold, and didn't fancy giving it to my mother. What were my options, I asked. They indicated that they had an arrangement with another hotel nearby and could transfer my reservation there at what would actually be a slightly lower rate.

Not having seen the other hotel or knowing anything about it, I was reluctant to make the switch until I'd seen what it was like. I asked Hotel Königshof to hold my reservation till I'd picked up my mother at the airport and we'd had a chance to take a look at a room on the way back. We did so. The other hotel turned out to be fine.

At this point, I made a mistake. Assuming that Hotel Königshof would simply cancel my original reservation, I checked us into the new hotel. I then went to Hotel Königshof to pick up my bags. Sorry, they told me. Since the time you were last here (three hours ago), 'our' rooms in the other hotel have all been booked. You should not have checked in without confirming it with us. We can no longer transfer your reservation. I was stuck paying for two hotel rooms, only one of which I needed.

Now despite my annoyance, I recognised that to some extent Hotel Königshof had a point. They had not actually told me I could check into the other hotel on my own. However, the whole imbroglio was the result of their original error. Moreover, at the time I discovered the problem it was only six-thirty in the evening, a mere *half hour* after I could have cancelled the reservation for a full refund.

I asked the receptionist if they could at least give me a partial refund. She contacted the owner (or manager?) and asked. Nothing doing. I ended up having to pay the entire sum for a room I never used.

In short, perhaps this is a great hotel if you actually end up staying there. But don't rely on them to get your reservation right. And don't expect them to show the slightest willingness to meet you half way if anything goes wrong.

Stayed July 2009
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2009

For the price paid, this was a good place to stay. It was not a fancy hotel by any means. The rooms were small and not thoroughly clean. The neighborhood is sketchy at night, breakfast was decent. The gentlemen at the service desk were terrific, friendly and helpful. I would probably not return here though.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

Arrived at the hotel at 9.30am hoping to be able to drop off our bags, and were told that if we can wait 5 minutes (and have some free breakfast), we can check into our room then! So we had some breakfast and checked into the hotel at 9.45am. Not sure if this is normal but it was just great service.

The staff were brilliant, very friendly, cheerful and helpful. Breakfast was great, room was large and tidy. We were on the ground floor which was perfect.

Would definitely recommend this hotel at the price. Think we paid just under 100 Euro per night in mid-December for Christmas markets time, which is pretty good.

• Liked — Staff, breakfast, clean rooms
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

This little hotel was a fabulous find. It is very well located near the central Hamburg train station. Return trip back and forth from the Hamburg airport to Hamburg Hauptbahnhof (central train station) is only 8 Euro roundtrip (5 Euro one-way).

I paid 51 Euro per night for a room without a bathroom. The shared bathroom was mine alone for the entirety of my stay. So I appreciated saving the 20-30 Euro per night by not having an en suite bathroom. There is a small vanity and sink in the 2 rooms that do not have en suite bathroom.

The hotel is extremely gay friendly and extremely welcoming to gay and lesbian travelers. In fact, there were several staying there during my stay. Front desk staff are very friendly and welcoming. Everyone I interacted with was very helpful and welcoming.

The breakfast buffet was perfect with a selection of breads, cheeses, meats, muesli, other cereals, yogurt, and fruit. There is an amazing backyard patio that is cozy and private that is ideal to sit outside in while having your breakfast. Or sit inside if the weather is a bit nippy.

The room was very clean. Linen and duvet were clean and ideal.

There is free Wi-Fi internet service, which was very fast.

I can't rave enough about this hotel. It's not a Ritz Carlton but for 51 Euro a night, I can't imagine a better value for the money anywhere.

This is my accommodation of choice for future stays to Hamburg. Two thumbs up!

• Liked — Very friendly staff, Fantastic location, Free Wi-Fi internet, Outstanding value
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

Pros: Central location, exceptionally friendly and helpful staff, nice breakfast buffet, very nice and clean shared toilets/showers

Cons: Rooms could use a fresh paint job; I switched rooms because the first one they gave me reeked of smoke and the bed was terribly soft. Some of the rooms face the street which can be quite noisy at night. Also, while convenient, the neighborhood is a bit seedy, including the walk to the Hauptbahnhof.

• Stayed July 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

I stayed at the Hotel Konigshof the night of May 24, 2007. The hotel is located a five minute walk from the main train station. The neighborhood is the red light district and although it didn't seem dangerous it was annoying to be harrassed by prostitutes as I came and went from the hotel. The hotel itself is clean and well taken care from the lobby to the breakfast room to the guest rooms. The staff at the front desk is very friendly and helpful. I had a room with a private bath but were I to return I would not hesitate to stay in one of the rooms that are slightly cheaper and have shared baths. The italian restaurant downstairs from the hotel has good food and the woman who runs it was very nice and helpful when I ordered as I do not speak German.
The breakfast buffet is included in the hotel room price and it was very good. Overall I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again if I were to return to Hamburg.

• Liked — Nice friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — Location in the red light district
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Novum Hotel Koenigshof Hamburg Innenstadt? Share your experiences!