“Great hotel, but they don't honour their reservations” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten

You added Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten to your Saves list
Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Neuer Jungfernstieg 9 - 14, 20354 Hamburg, Germany (Neustadt)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #3 of 316 Hotels in Hamburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
St. John's, Newfoundland
“Great hotel, but they don't honour their reservations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I was in Germany for business and decided to spend the weekend in Hamburg as a weekend off from work. I reserved the hotel on August 2, a Deluxe King Lakefront Room (with balcony on the fifth floor) Nonsmoking, for a stay 29 - 31 October. Based on the website, and reviews, I was looking forward to my stay. But hopes turned to disappointment when I checked in. I was told I had been given an upgrade to a suite on the first floor, however I purposely booked the top floor for the view, and so no one would be walking on the floor above. Given the fifth floor rooms were fully booked, I was forced to settle for the Maria Callas Suite on the first floor -- a wonderful room, but for several reasons (not least of which is footsteps above my head and noise of furniture being moved when they cleaned up downstairs at 11PM and set up at 6AM) it wasn't an upgrade by my standards or expectations. The Customer Service Manager, Herr Heyder, did everything he could to ameliorate the situation, but his options were limited.

While I would recommend the hotel, for the reasons suggested in other reviews, I would suggest that if one wants a specific room type, to not trust the reservation service -- call the hotel directly and be sure to take the name of the person you spoke to, the date and the time. The hotel claims Fairmont reservations only told them the room rate I was paying (I was given a lower rate for the room because I was using an upgrade certificate given to me as a Platinum Presidents Club member) -- they had not been informed what room type I reserved (Fairmont apparently issued me a printed confirmation specifying room type,but they say the information was not given to the hotel). I wonder what Fairmont reservations will say to explain the situation. Regardless, I am left with a room I didn't want and a relaxing weekend that was anything but. My concern now is whether my future reservations with Fairmont will be equally uncertain. But that is a different issue.

So, the bottom line is that this is a wonderful hotel, if you get the room your reserved, but don't have confidence that the room you reserve is the one you will be assigned.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake are preferred, but you can't assume the room you reserve is the room you w...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
HVJ_Hamburg, Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Dear guest

Thank you very much for your comments on tripadvisor during your last stay at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg.

We greatly appreciate your comments. This is certainly not the level of service we pride ourselves in rendering to our valued customers, such as yourself, and for which we gained our reputation. We truly value your patronage and would never take it for granted.

We were already in direct contact with you and it is my sincere hope that this incident does not keep you up from coming back to Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg.

Yours Sincerely

Exec. Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Arabic first
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

this hotel is a "grand classic" hotel now operated by Fairmont. The check-in was excellent and my room was on the top floor overlooking the lake. The view along with the balcony which I enjoyed on a sunny October afternoon made for a great visit. The fitness room is outstanding for a European hotel. But perhaps the best treat at the hotel is the main dining room. Reserve in advance and you will have a great meal with fantastic service. My first trip to Hamburg and I found it enjoyable with a lively waterfront to wander around on a Saturday and take a harbor tour. I highly recommend the Vier Jahreszeiten and Hamburg.

Room Tip: A view of the lake is spectacular.
Dear guest

Thank you very much for the kind comments made on tripadvisor from your last stay at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahresezeiten Hamburg.

We always appreciate our residents taking the time to let us know when they are content with our staff as well as the service.

Your compliments are a great motivation for our employees and we are looking forward to welcoming you again at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Recently I was fortunate enough to be in Hamburg on business and to get to stay at the Vier Jahreszeiten. After some initial confusion when I told the taxi driver to take me to the Fairmont and he replied "Yes, the Four Seasons" and I said, "No, the Fairmont", I realized that Vier Jahreszeiten translates as the Four Seasons. From a previous visit to Hamburg I knew the hotel had a terrific location on the Inneraltse, a small lake in the heart of the city, and that it was within walking distance of most sites. Upon arrival it was immediately apparent that service is everything at this hotel. The staff wore their crisp uniforms without affectation or servility, but as if they really enjoyed being in the business of making their guests feel welcome and respected.
At checkin I received the good news that I had been upgraded to a junior suite overlooking the water. As the pictures attest, the view was excellent. The suite was enormous and included a gas fireplace (not needed thankfully), a very practical working area, some very nice antique furniture and a huge bathroom with separate shower and tub and two vanities.
For the three days I stayed here I could not have been treated better than if I was a guest in a friend's home. Whether it was the front desk, concierge, doorman or restaurant personnel, the service was warm and ultra professional. All were fluent in English.
When I went down to breakfast I would find the room completely done up, even though I was only out of it for 30 minutes. Other than breakfast, regretfully my business did not allow me to experience the restaurants or lounge. A good reason to come back.
Obviously this level of service and amenities does not come without a price, but I believe in the case of Vier Jahreszeiten, that price is worth it.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for a room with a view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
HVJ_Hamburg, Manager at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Dear guest

Thank for your stay at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg and the kind comments made on Tripadvisor.

Your compliments are a great motivation for our employees and we are looking forward to welcoming you again at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten.

Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

We've stayed at the Vier Jahreszeiten twice now, first time for my partner's birthday and once just for a treat. Both times the service has been fantastic. The hotel is really beautiful (it even has a very cute small bar for smokers), with beautiful public areas. We've also eaten at the Asian restaurant, which was fantastic. Breakfast is also great, particularly the omelets, which are made to order. The rooms are spacious and luxurious, with loads of closet space and we had a separate bath and shower, which was wonderful. The rooms are also lovely and quiet and the beds are really cosy (except that they have the crack in the middle, but most hotel beds do these days).

Can't wait for another reason to go back. This is good old fashioned luxury at it's best and if you can get a good deal (which we did from resfeber.se) it's fantastic value for money.

Room Tip: We've been twice and never had a bad room.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear guest

Thank you for your stay at Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg and the kind comments made on Tripadvisor.

Lviv, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

I think that the Fairmont hotel is one of the best hotels in Hamburg. Very nice location, near Alster , nice view ,very good service, very good breakfast, our room was nice, very clean hotel . Charming hotel , really

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Wakefield UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Rooms are large and well furnished. Our room had a flat screen TV attached to a side wall so you couldn't watch it while in bed. We were quickly moved to another room when we complained. Breakfast is very good, freshly cooked hot dishes individually and complimenting the buffet offering

• Stayed July 2011
Flims, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

The location of the hotel is perfect for hamburg. The view and the board walk at the water is charming. The traffic of the road in front of the hotel is moderat. You can have quiet rooms to the courtyard and sleep well with open windows. The hotel is recently renovated with attention of the historic part. Staff is excellent and friendly. The very little spa has a high quality and sauna is separate for men and women. Breakfast is a highlight of the hotel. The only negativ point was a wedding with loud music in the night. We stayed a third floor and we couldn't ignore the base of the music, the vibrations were all over. Next time, we will pay attention to events in the hotel. Overall, this hotel is a good part the journey and a great value.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten? Share your experiences!