“Wow!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 31 Attractions in Potsdam
Type: Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Parks, Landmarks
Activities: City walk sightseeing, Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: Friedrich the Great's amazing 18th-century palace, reminiscent of the grandeur of Versailles, is surrounded by a magnificent 600-acre park.
Frankfurt, Germany
11 attraction reviews
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

If you are planning to visit Berlin, well take a train and visit also Sanssouci!
It could be expensive if you want to see the palace inside, but if you are used to very well guided tours, well... forget it. It's a quick showing of some rooms, worthy only if you want to see the famous paint of Fritz as adult.. of course, if it's not in restauration (thing that happened when I visited it).
The gardens are beautiful and huge, and you can visit them just giving an offer (suggested offer was 3-5 €, but it's worthy!). Don't forget to admire the vineyards in front of the palace (they were a revolution at Friederich I 's time), and take a long quite walk all around.

Visited May 2012

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
22 attraction reviews
“Too little for too much”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Sanssouci Palace is world renowned attraction. The reason we were so disappointed with it has more to do with management than the Palace itself. We took a day trip to Postdam from Berlin in the middle of March. When we planned this trip several months before we had counted on warmer weather, not the brutal, long winter Europe has been experiencing this year. Yet, we were as prepared as we could and we forged on. Up to the morning of our day trip to Postdam we checked online with the palaces website and it indicated all the attractions were open. They were not. We took a taxi from Postdam's train station to the New Palace only to find out it was closed after our taxi had left us there, practically buried on 3' to 5' of snow and 14F temps. There was nobody around to even ask questions of. Only a few other tourists who had made a similar mistake as we did. The walk from the New Palace to the Sanssouci Palace took us almost 1.5 hours in blistering conditions. Sanssouci was the only attraction opened to visitors. All I have to say about it is that at least it was slightly warmer inside, but not much. The heaters were off, the tour was short and after all this effort we can't even remember what we saw because the tour guide rushed us through the Palace at neck-breaking pace. Nobody knew the answer to some basic questions regarding historical facts, but that is not surprising considering they didn't even know what parts of the park were open or closed. The gardens were dead because of the cold, the interior kind of unremarkable compared to other famous palaces. In general, this was to most disappointing experience we had in all of our trip.

Visited March 2013
Kansas City
50 attraction reviews
“Should I Have Liked it More?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I've always heard this is a remarkable place to visit. So I trekked out to Potsdam to take in the wonder that is Sans Souci. I left feeling completely ambivalent about it. The main castle, which is €12 to tour, is ornate like you'd expect, but it certainly isn't the most elaborate or beautiful castle in Europe. Plus, you only get to see 10 rooms in the main house. Given it's size and the ticket price, I was taken aback by that. Then, know that you can pay extra to get access to other parts of the complex. A day pass for everything is €19. But it's all so spread out that after going through the main garden and walking out to the Neues Palais I never went back to see the windmill, Orangery, and other things I had paid extra for. It was just dragging out to be too long a day. I wouldn't say I feel ripped off, because it was my choice. But the pricing just seemed a little high. Maybe if the weather had been warmer and the gardens had been in bloom I would have felt differently about it. I'm glad I went, and it was interesting. But I don't enthusiastically recommend it.

Visited April 2013
Toronto, Canada
9 attraction reviews
“A bright yellow palace? Yes, please!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The only reason I didn't give this review a 5/5 is cuz on the day we went it was drizzling and cold and many of the statues in the park were veiled.
Otherwise, this Palace is a delight. Just the colors make you happy and make for beautiful pictures. There's also the history behind it, be sure to read at least a little on Emperor Frederich who was obsessed with building palaces in Poradam. I'm sure if you go on a sunny day it'll be fabulous because you can also enjoy a stroll in the park. There are clean bathrooms there even for visitors who don't enter the palace, but you have to pay about €0.45 for them.
Don't forget to stop by the gift shop, they have a lovely collection of gifts and souvenirs.

Cologne, Germany
8 attraction reviews
“Beautiful little Chateau full of history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Are you interested in history and King Fritz the Great!! Are you interested in architecture and nature? Then visit Sanssouci Palace!! Go early and make a reservation for your visit. There are always a lot people.

Visited March 2013