“A lovely dining experience” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Basel, Switzerland
“A lovely dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Based on Tripadvisor recommendations my friend and I decided to book a table at Heising. We were met at the door by Herr Heising and escorted into the dining room. It was like going through time. The restaurant is intimate and comfortable and is furnished in the fashion of the first half of the 20th century. We were not expecting anything quite like this. Frau Heising served us a Kir Royale and provided the menus. It was refreshing to see 4 courses each with around 4 choices and you could select a 3 course meal or a 4 course meal. The food was delicious and the service was very good - attentive but not intrusive. All in all a wonderful experience and not to be missed.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

96% Recommend
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, England, United Kingdom
“Victorian parlour in Berlin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Quaint step back into time. Small and intimate dining experience with traditional French cuisine- frogs legs, escargot and foie gras for example. Don't expect experimental but simple classic dishes done very well. The Heisings are very friendly and attentive, food is excellent and my husband and I loved it- from the decor to the table lay out, old fashioned and romantic. It's like nothing we've seen or likely to see again. Would highly recommend.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Heising

What a wonderful experience the Heising was. We were greeted by Mrs Heising who showed us to our table by the fireplace. The décor is placed around 1900’s with music softly playing from the Thirties, jazzy sounds.
Mrs Heising brought us the menus ( in English) which I am glad to say wasn’t pages of choice which would of taken us all evening to choose but a well balance menu with approx 5-6 dishes to choose for each course.
Mr heising then introduced himself (looking very Dapper) bringing over an aperitif of champagne in chilled glasses, perfect start.
To the food, as for starters my partner had Frog legs and I enjoyed the Foie gras. The main course I chose the Lamb and other half went for the Pork medallion with accompanying vegetables. We had room for dessert of a Irish coffee mousse and Pistachio mousse. To was all this down we went for a bottle of Sancerre.
This was 54.00 euros each for four courses, extremely reasonable for the quality of food.

Both Mr and Mrs Heising were attentive filling our glasses and giving plenty time between courses.
Mr Heising asked where we came from, I said London and were on Holiday. At this point Mr Heising change the music to play a track from ‘Life of Brian’, Bright side of Life’. I think he was appealing to the English sense of Humour and it worked. The rest of the restaurant patrons who may I had were only another 10 guests all chuckled. This shows how small and intermit this restaurant is. Like dinning in a friends or family’s home.
The evening was coming to an end and we were the only guests left in the restaurant. I went over to Mr Heising and praised him for a lovely evening and it’s was a special evening as it was my partners Birthday. At this point he rushed out the back and in a few moments came back with glasses of champagne to toast my partner.He started to tell me how he started the business 30 years ago and how he wanted to create a special dining experience, some of the furnishings were built by his great grandfather (especially the great sideboard).
Now may I add this place, is not your modern fast moving way of dinning today, it was very exclusive and unique and should be embraced for what it is. It a very personal dining experience and Mr Heising expressed this with his own words, ‘we shared the evening together’.
And so we did…

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Burlington, New Jersey
“Amazing dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Heising is run by a wonderful and friendly elderly couple who have been running the restaurant for thirty years. The husband shops locally for fresh food every morning on which to base the recipes for the evening meal. The fois gras is wonderful. They selected a perfect (and very affordable) wine to go with our meal. I have eaten here twice now, and it is one of my favorite restaurants in Europe. The decor and music take you back to a golden era, and I hope my parents get to eat here in autumn this year when they visit Berlin. Congratulations to the TripAdvisor recommendation as without it, I wouldn't have known about this gastronomic gem.

Visited March 2013
Yorks
“Great food, slightly surreal experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Booked Heising after seeing the reviews and weren't disappointed! Very good food (no, it's not michelin quality, but it's really very good), service is beyond excellent, and the whole experience is a one-off. Definitely one to talk about afterwards!

Visited May 2013