“A not very Greek restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Honiton, United Kingdom
“A not very Greek restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This was conveniently situated near our hotel The food was good, but very few of the menu choices were actually Greek.

Visited May 2012

68% Recommend
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
london
“Put this one on your list”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Walk through the curtain into Cassambalis to discover its wonderful interior, every wall is hung with fantastic paintings. It's beautifully styled with lovely lamps and other artifacts and has a very cozy and welcoming feel. It was incredibly busy the night we went and I do have to say the service was quite slow which spoilt it somewhat.
In the centre of the restaurant is a table filled with appertisers you can help yourself to, all very delicious.
I had a Grilled Silver Bream with Lemon New Potatoes and Wilted Spinach which was all faultless. The short seasoned White Asparagus was also available so we all had that as well.
You absolutely have to go if you can.

Visited May 2012
Brussels, Belgium
“Fancy place, food just about OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

THis place is a bit strange. It's a Greek restaurant, but tries to be fancy at that and doesn't really succeed: the place itself is nice, the prices are definitely more in line for a more posh place, yet the food is of slightly better than average quality. It certainly wasn't bad but I ate better at some other Greek Tavernas in Berlin.

Visited March 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
“Central location, bad behaviour, they cheated us - overcharged bill.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

The restaurant is centrally located and after reading some reviews in tripadvisor we decided to give it a try.

We were greeted by a waiter and the owner that is Greek.

The place is over-decorated with many frames/pictures/drawings and tries to give a "Mediterranean atmosphere".

We were offered some water (of course for 5.50 EUR per bottle!! ) to start with.

Regarding the menu, we were informed for some "plates that are not in the menu" but could be made for us (in some outrageous prices of course!).

We preferred to take some pasta dishes from the menu.

We started with some "starters' selection" from a buffe until the pasta is cooked.

Note that the "starters' selection" costs 12,5 EUR for 300 grams, according to the menu.

We chose just some various starters, in order to try them and the owner weighed the plate.

I saw with MY OWN EYES that the plate + starters was about 90 grams, this equals to around 4 EUR.

The starters were OK, too much oil in everything actually.

When we got our pasta dishes, I got just 4 "Ravioli" (!!!!) more like a baby portion, full of butter and oil. The "spice sauce" I was also offered was chilli peppers in oil....

My fiance's plate was seafood spaghetti which had more "shells" than seafood actually.

We were pushed to order more and more in a rude and non discrete way:

"Why don't you eat more"
"Would you like some wine? Why don't you drink wine?"
"Would you like dessert? Come on, try".

This made us think that they see us as "money" and try to achieve a high price per head during our visit there.

I have to say we were pretty stressed with it and lost our mood to order something more.

When I got the bill, I realize that he charged us 6-7 EUR extra (at least) for the starter selection that it was 90 grams (and not 300+ grams !!!).

We decided not to make a fuss about it and even left a small tip.

(For anyone doubting about the bill, I still have the bill.)

It is unacceptable to be seen as "money per head" and to be "made a fool" and charged over what we ordered. This underestimates us as customers.

I have travelled the whole Europe and can afford to go to the best restaurants if I want, so this is not about complaining for an "expensive" or "pricy" place, I value always the behavior, the experience and the way a restaurant treats us during our visit.

It is sad and shame that the owner is Greek, as Greeks are known for being friendly and for their hospitality.

We were disappointed in general and our experience was negative, we will never again visit this place.

Just beware in case you want to do so.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Malmö
“Bright and friendly brasserie with mediterranean food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

We went there the first night in Berlin and we had a three coursesmeal with excellent food and wine. The waiter was very professional and helpful. I had a very good little sallad to begin with and then a delightful bouillabaisse with different fishes and shellfishes. They had a lot of nice desserts and my husband and I shared two excellent which were among the the best we have eaten in years.

Visited December 2011