“Best burger in Berlin, busy, busy busy!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bird

The Bird
Am Falkplatz 5, 10437 Berlin, Germany (Prenzlauer Berg)
+49 30 51053283
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #96 of 6,082 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: American, German, Hamburgers
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Cash Only, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Prenzlauer Berg
Description: The Bird is a New York style bar and steakhouse, serving undoubtedly Berlin's best steaks and burgers as well as some other stuff.Sauces, dressings, everything is made fresh daily from scratch.
motherwell
“Best burger in Berlin, busy, busy busy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Visited here based on the numerous great reviews, and it didn't disappoint. We were incredibly lucky, as we hasn't booked in advance, but the lady looking after the tables manager to squeeze us in at the bar. Not only were we fortunate just to get seated, but we also had arrived during the "Angry hours", basically 2 for 1 beers if you are say at the bar! If you are going that's between 6pm and 8pm, but I'm pretty sure you can't book to be sat there, only at tables. I ordered "Da Birdhouse", a double patty monster with cheese, fried onion, pickles and bacon, accompanied with a salad and a HUGE side if fresh chipped fries. The plate was struggling. The missus had the BBQ burger which I snaffled a bit of, and like mine, raised the bar on my burger eating experiences. The patties are freshly ground from steak, cooked how you like them (the meat quality is so good, I recommends medium rare to medium) the service was attentive and genuinely friendly throughout, and the atmosphere great, we got chatting to other burger lovers, and got some great recommendations for our stay in berlin. Get the Schneider Weiss as well as some wings too!

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Berlin, Germany
“Make Reservations and order the fries!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Before you go here, DEFINITELY make reservations. They speak English, and it's very convenient to email the restaurant for free time slots, or of course to call. I'd make the reservations a week or so in advance. Even if it is a rainy Monday night and you think you'll be in luck, you won't (because I made that mistake already). It's not a huge place, so they stay packed every night until closing.

The restaurant is very lively also, so if you're looking for a quiet place I'd go early. The bar gets pretty busy and loud at night.

The burgers are quite thick, and good. It's definitely not fast food- they taste like the good burgers my dad makes on the grill at home. While I love the burgers, the fries are my favorite thing here- so fresh, crispy, and delicious. With mayonnaise, I could eat a gallon. And the portions are huge, so a gallon is actually not too much of an exaggeration! I will definitely be back.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Heavenly. not to be missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I read about this place in Tripadvisor and was impressed with the ranking - 22nd in Berlin.
After reading the menu online I just had to go there and try for myself...

I waited until Sunday as this is the only day when Flohmarkt am Mauerpark (Flea market) is open.
Started with the market as 'The Bird' is on the other side and was almost tempted by the food the market has to offer, not spoiling my appetite in the market was the best decision ever.
From the market its 500 meters and your'e there.

The place simply looks great, the place where you would want to sit with friends for a few hours over good food.
At the beginning I had a dilemma, I usually opt for the house specialty when its my first time in a new place but it has too much toppings (bacon, eggs, etc.) and according to them: "enough grease to kill a donkey" so I went for the 'healthy' Ghetto Burger which is their grilled burger with american cheese.
I always go with medium, they offer medium rare, If you think medium is too rare for you then you shouldn't be eating burgers...

Long story short, the amazing platter arrived and the juices start flowing...
Very big burger (250g) with melted cheese which was a sight for sore eyes.
It's as if every ingredient and item on the plate was placed where the almighty intended it to be.
The burger itself just melts in your mouth and the fries complement it very well but not out staging it.
Together with 0.5L of Krombacher beer this is probably one of the best meals I have ever had.

I am not a religious person, but I almost became one today...

You will eat there, you must eat there!

P.S. cheese cake was ok, definitely not a must.

“Burger time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful American Bar next to the Mauer park. We arrived there quite proved for the night before and they put us back on our feet with delicious food and very kind service. The burger is a must to try and if you've got extra money in your pocket you could venture for a steak that is delicious too! Wash it all with your favourite Berlin beer. Thanks again to all the staff with special mention to Robin!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Hertford, United Kingdom
“You'll struggle to find a better burger...anywhere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I ate at The Bird last night with two friends while on a city break in Berlin, off the back of a recommendation from another friend...and we weren't let down!

If you're wondering why such an unpretentious venue sits in the top 20 Berlin restaurants on TripAdvisor it comes down to this...a simply fantastic combination of friendly service, great atmosphere, fantastic beer and quality food.

A testament to just how good The Bird is comes in the fact that when we arrived at around 9pm on a Sunday evening, the place was absolutely heaving...and continued to be so all night. Unfortunately we couldn't get at table inside, so braved the chilly evening and ate outside after being warmly welcomed by the staff...and boy was it worth it. AMAZING burgers, better than any I've ever eaten, coupled with skin-on fries and quality German beer. The chicken wings were a great side too...check out the tongue-in-cheek comment in the menu about why they no longer refer to them as buffalo wings!

A word of advice...come here with an appetite, the portions are large to say the least! Also, if you're the kind of person looking for more formal dining and you're not prepared to simply get stuck in, don't come here...you won't like it, and being honest, you're definitely not the target customer for this place (the menu will even tell you as such!).

Overall...just go. Even if you're staying the other side of the city it's well worth the trip...the world needs more venues like this!

Visited April 2013