“Cool place, positive atmosphere and really good sushi” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sasaya

Sasaya
Lychenerstrasse 50, 10437 Berlin, Germany (Prenzlauer Berg)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #895 of 5,883 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night
Neighborhood: Prenzlauer Berg
“Cool place, positive atmosphere and really good sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

This is a really nice place! The sushi was of good quality and we loved the atmosphere. Their inside out rolls was creative and very tasty, and their sashimi melted in our mouths!

• Visited June 2013

Pau, France
“Great Sushi experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I really enjoyed my dinner at Sasaya. You should book with great advance, as it seems to be very famous in Berlin, but we manage to book a tiny table for seven.
On the one hand, the forced us to stay on a tiny table even if we could have moved to another one, which got free while our food was on the way and remained empty for the whole evening. We had to sacrifice a little. Also, the service was not so fast.
On the other hand, the waitress was nice and understood english (not so common in Berlin's asian restaurant, as I found out). The menu has a great variety and prices are just a little higher than the average, but it is totally understandable. My rainbow rolls were very good, my chirashi was very strange because of the variety and the thickness of the raw fish but good too.
I will come back for sure.

• Visited May 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“A nice local restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

One of the difficulties I find with the reviewing platform of Trip Advisor is the ratings go from "average to very good" .This is a good restaurant but not very good or excellent on an international scale. It is not also "average". Coming from the Asia/ Pacific region there are many local restaurants as good as this.
However here the service is good,the food of a high standard, the wine list limited.
We were impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. The service was slow but the place was busy. However from the difficulty we had obtaining a reservation this would seem to be a regular state. Perhaps management should look at their staffing levels or organisation.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lugano, Switzerland
“It was worth waiting for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I discovered this restaurant thanks to the lonley planet travel guide. Me and my friends wanted to call for reservation but they didn't pick up the phone. We decided to go checkin if there was a table free anyway. Once we arrive it was already fullbut the kind waitres told us that she could put us on the waiting list and call us as soon as a table got free. So we decided to do it also because we saw few dishes coming out of the kitchen that look delicious! We went drink somenthing near by and in nearly 30 min she called us back. Thanks god we waited for the table, everything was excellent! The restaurant is quite small, minimal, but whit a nice atmosphere! There were also lots of japanese and for me that's always a good sign that mean that of course in a japanese restaurant the food is good! Just one suggestion try to book a table at least the day before!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“I found them arrogant, insolent and also hostile to children”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Yes this is one of the most authentic Japanese restaurants in Berlin and the food is good. it has a great ambience and it looks really nice. That's a plus point.

On the flip side they behave in a what I consider to be very arrogant manner, sometimes they don't bother to answer the phones at all or leave it off the hook and when you finally do reach them they told me that they didn't need to bother as they were full up.

They kept us waiting for ages before taking the order and then it took a long time to come.

If you have kids then it really is a strain. If your kids even move or do anything (after waiting and waiting and waiting) then a waitress comes running over and tells you off or says it is dangerous. The head guy then starts making some extremely rude comments as if I was really stupid. After being on the receiving this I gave the waitress a good piece of my mind. They seem hostile to normal kids and expect them to be like Japanese kids. My child is a very well behaved bright kid and I believe in them behaving and I am not a wet liberal parent. I expect the child to listen and behave.

If you can deal with their attitude, which I consider to be hostile, arrogant and insolent then by al means visit this place.

• Visited March 2013