“German Finesse” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant Vau

Restaurant Vau
Jagerstrasse 54/55, 10117 Berlin, Germany (Mitte)
-030-202-9730
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
“German Finesse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

A great evening at Vau, well deserving it's Michelin Star.Chef Kleeberg blends high end local ingrédients with modern french inspired techniques and the results are more than convincing.lot's of balance and finesse. Élégant chic room, yet not cold . Professionnal attentive service with very Nice wine list ... Great spatburgunder from Huber! Are we in cote de Beaune? German Pinot noir is on the rise!and Vau is a great showcase for the german Bounty!
Go Vau!

Visited May 2013

manchester
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Booked by the hotel concierge this was an expensive birthday meal(420euro) but that said and out of the way it was a fantastic night. Staff very professional and helpful striking just the right balance and not at all stiff and formal.
We both had the tasting menu for may. I do not eat dessert and they knocked this from the bill without me asking. My wife asked if she could have the chocolate from the carte rather than from the set and again no issue or problem which was great. I like Australian wines but understandably the focus was on Germany and France. They did have some Grange but I find this a very 'heavy' wine that needs time to be decanted and breathe. Given the menu (and prices) I opted for a rose champagne which was very good and 'only' 160 euro!
Couple of amuse bouche including an asparagus soup followed by salmon with beet root with yoghurt.fantastic
Next was a poached egg with morels and spinach which was far better in taste than this simple dish sounds.
Next was pigeon which I loved with pomegranate walnut and chicory
We then had the centrepiece of veal with a cabbage salad and a dumpling souffle which was very unusual and just delicious.
We then had the cheese course which. was a very smelly Munster cheese tart as well as Munster deep fried. I find this cheese smells stronger than it tastes and good.
My wife then had a 'freebie' of cream with fresh cherry and she loved it although the cherries were very tart. She then had a first class chocolate fondant with ice cream and one or two 'other bits' -by this time I was 'struggling to remember everything!
With coffee for me and my wife managing to eat most of the delicious petis fours it was a fantastic evening. Yes it was expensive and I struggle to say 'value for money' but it was so very good.
To round off the evening the chef/proprietor Kolja kleeburg had been going around the tables serving at least one course. On speaking to us he recognised my accent and started to sing Scottish folk songs. As we were leaving he very kindly asked us to join him at the bar where we then managed to drink a bottle of champagne as he told us of his fondness for Scottish folk music which was far better than mine . This just added to the theatre of the night and gave us a very nice end to a great night
He even recommended a restaurant for lunch for the following day.
A memorable night . Go and enjoy.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Baltimore, Maryland
“Excellent food..one of the best restaurants in Berlin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Centrally located between Unter der Linden and the Gendarmenmarkt, it's very modern in design but very comfortable with excellent service and excellent and creative cuisine. Go for lunch which is about 1/3 the price of dinner. And then go next door to the Emil Nolde Museum.

Visited March 2013
New Jersey
“Extraordinary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Elegant but low-key room, very attentive staff, very expensive meal -- and utterly spectacular food. The raw scallop infused with wood smoke was quite possibly one of the finest and most surprising dishes I've ever encountered. A superb first night in Berlin, a city which never fails to surprise us.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Danke. I will be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Hosted a business dinner in their private room which is very nice. Given it is downstairs in a windowless room, the minimalist setting and soft letting somehow make you forget the setting. It works well.

The food was very good. Highest marks for the liver pâté starter served as if it were a creme brûlée. Excellent dessert and very good wines especially the German selection which we sampled to go local.

VAU is also located next to he Gendarmenmarkt which is a stunning place to visit especially at night when the opera house is illuminated.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere