“Good place to stay but I'm a bit shocked!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gaestehaus Berlin Mitte

Gaestehaus Berlin Mitte
You added Gaestehaus Berlin Mitte to your Saves list
Gaestehaus Berlin Mitte
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Habersaathstr.42, 10115 Berlin, Germany (Mitte)   |
Ranked #67 of 180 Berlin B&B and Inns
Launceston, Australia
“Good place to stay but I'm a bit shocked!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for three nights with my partner and we were both quite happy with it up until our last night. Upon arriving at 8am (we were just going to leave our luggage until check in) Cyril I believe his name was on the desk said someone hadn't shown up the day before so a room was ready now. We were soo grateful given wed just been on a horrible overnight bus from Amsterdam. This hotel is in a good spot, close to stations and even walking reasonable walking distance central Berlin if you don't mind a couple of k's walk. We had breakfast one of the mornings which was fruit, muesli, bread and various cheeses and meat, tea, coffee and juices for 6.50 euro per person. We found all the staff on the desk friendly and helpful. This brings us to our last night. At about 4pm I asked at reception if we could get some toilet paper for our room, the lady was friendly and said she thought the staff were yet to clean our room but would ensure upon our return that our room would be finished. We got back to our room about 7pm and we saw the lady again who came with us to our room to make sure our room was done which it was. Due to an early train the following morning we went to bed early. At approximately 8:30pm I began to hear loud music and banging from a nearby room. Shortly after I could hear a man singing at the absolute top of his lungs somewhere in another room and then along the hall where our room was. I assumed this was somebody presumably drunk staying in a near by room heading out for the night. Shortly after there was a knock on the door which I said to my partner to just ignore as we assumed it would be this "drunk" man we could hear singing just knocking to be stupid... But no, shortly after we heard a key in the door and the singing man had brought us some toilet paper.. He mumbled something to us, left the toilet paper, shut the door and proceeded to sing at the top of his lungs all the way down the hall again. I am honestly appalled at how he was. Even if he hadn't have been singing at the top of his lungs I still find it strange he would think we wouldn't have toilet paper by this time and come and disturb us. I guess it was good he checked but I cannot believe how unprofessional he was!!! Interestingly earlier this afternoon my partner wasn't well so we came back to our room and we came in in a rush as he wasn't well and must have left our key in the door. About an hour later the key turned and it was a man (the same man) just letting us know the key was in the door and that we should be careful as someone may take it. I thanked him and had no idea whether he worked here or had just passed by. Later I saw him in the hall where he started talking to me again asking me if it was me in the room he had come to as it was dark and he couldn't tell. I thanked him and sort of ended conversation despite him persisting as it was a bit awkward.. I honestly don't know what the go is with this guy, he was ?friendly I guess youd call it and we were grateful with the key but his behaviour this evening was highly unacceptable for a staff member working in a hotel and at 8:30pm (though not particularly late) I'm sure we aren't the only ones who were disturbed by him and have to get up early! I would report his behaviour upon checkout but we leave early. We otherwise were happy with our stay here and would probably stay again, the other staff we dealt with were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Berlin is a great city with lots to see and do..so its important to have a "base" where you can crash at, leave your valuables, get some sleep and recharge your batteries after a long day exploring.

This hotel was perfecf for that. An easy 10 or 15 min walk from the central train station and 5 mins to the U station to get you to the heart of the city.

The hotel is nicely decorated and the rooms - not the biggest - are spotless. The bed was comfy...I slept like a log. The breakfast (a few Euros extra) is well worth it.

The staff were very friendly - not all speak English but you'll be able to figure most things out - and the area arounding the hotel has some coffee shops and places to grab a bite to eat but is otherwise quiet. Its well lit and in my opinion, safe for solo travellers.

Highly recommended and excellent value for money.

• Stayed June 2013
Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Large rooms with extra bed. Clean and comfortable. Good price / quality. For leisure ok. Business stay I would not recommend. Location is not really in the middle of the nightlife. Breakfast is ok nothing special. Apartment building 4 stories without elevator.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Rooms are very spacious and clean, and the location is OK BUT:
- staff are not always helpful and friendly
- breakfast is sad
- adding a bed for a 6-months baby costs too much, particularly if one considers the bed is given withough matress!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

This hotel is a 15 min walk from Berlin Hauptbanhof central station, a 5 min walk from the Naturkundemuseum subway station and some 15 min walk from Oranienburger Straße. The room was clean and had a rather large bathroom in my opinion. The bed was comfy and room temperature was ok as was the hot shower. The price was € 79 per night. The safe was not working as we got a room with an old safe model. The explanation was that they where upgrading their safes to digital ones. The reception clerk was very helpful and friendly, providing maps and detailed directions as requested. One downside is that there is no elevator/lift and we had to haul our luggage upstairs. Their reception is not 24 hs so you must make any requests up until 16:00 hs. Also, their breakfast was a little poor. Overall the hotel is well located with a very good room and an excellent price. I will definitely consider it in my next stay in Berlin.

Room Tip: Go for a room in the first floor so to avoid using the stairs.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Hotel is in a strange location. When we booked, the site said it was near "Checkpoint Charlie." This is definitely NOT the case. We were about a 25 minute walk to restaurants and shopping. The bahn is a short distance, though. About 5 or 6 minutes. The clerk at check-in wasn't very friendly. She wasn't unfriendly, just more aloof. She didn't volunteer anything helpful to us as tourists and when we asked how to get to the area to take a bus tour, she circled something on a map. She could have just told us to do to the main road and walk for 25 minutes straight. Instead we spent an hour navigating a map in an unfamiliar city only to find that it could have been much easier to get where we were going. The room we choose, a superior double, was VERY large. More like a studio apartment than a room. The bath was large and well lit but did not include a hair dryer, if that is important to you. While the room itself was nice, the area the hotel was located in was a little seedy, I thought. We walked back after dark and I was a little nervous about that. The prices are really, really cheap, though, so you will sacrifice location for price here. If you are looking to stay somewhere more central, pick something near the river and museum island. If price is the most important factor and you don't require a lot of customer service, this is your place. Not sure if I'd stay here again, but it was fine for this trip.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Gaestehaus Berlin Mitte? Share your experiences!