“Do not stay here!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 179 Berlin B&B and Inns
Sydney Australia
“Do not stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights in March.

Before we arrived, the hotel specially emailed me to ask what time we would be arriving, and I replied to say at night (since we were flying in from Brussels and would be arriving around 9). So when we arrived and the hotel was closed, we were shocked. We could not even get into the building as when we pressed the buzzer, no one answered. Finally some other people arrived so we walked in with them, however when we arrived at reception, there was still no one around. Eventually we had to call them (using our Australian mobile phone) and they said they thought we weren't coming! They told us where to locate the room key and we let ourselves in.

The room was very basic and we had two single beds, despite booking a double room. When we asked to change to a double room, they said they were all full. The bathroom was tiny. The next morning no one even apologised to us for the night before. The staff could barely speak English and even asking for a map was a nightmare! The breakfast was ok but the staff began packing up well before the closing time and did not replace the empty dishes, so there was not much left by the end.

What was worse, I left my jacket there and I emailed them a number of times to try and arrange to get it back as I was going to be in Germany, and they didn't even have the courtesy to reply.

The hotel is in a very suburban area with not many restaurants nearby.

The room was supposed to have wifi but we struggled to get a connection.

My advice - look elsewhere!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Saint Albert
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2008

When I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted by the owner who was extemely helpfull and knew, before I even asked, what I needed to know about getting around Berlin! I was even provided with a map and a 24 hour help number, just in case I lost my keys or even myself!

One of the best things about this hotel is the price relative to its location! Everything you need is only 10 minutes away or less; train station, subway, bus, pubs, cafe's restaurants, grocery, internet, taxi, pharmacy, shopping....

And if you like to walk then you can get to anywhere from here. I even walked to the main train station (Berlin Hauptbahnhof) and back via the Reichstag building and it is doable.

A block north of the hotel, on the same side, is a pub/restaurant called Solo (or something like that). It is a pub/restaurant with a Cuban theme. The variety of food, the price and preparation was superb and the waitress's are very attractive. But bring a phrase book with you. The girls don't speak very much english and they will appreciate the effort you put into your ordering in their native tongue.

The hotel serves a diverse cliental from just about everywhere so breakfast conversation is never lacking. Even if you don't speak German I heard people talking in Polish, Spanish and French and you will almost always run into someone who speaks at least a little English.

There is free internet in every room and the common area is always open. Also, the hot water was plentiful (adjust carefully so you don't scald yourself), and the water pressure more than adequate.

The only reason I cannot give a rating of excellence for this place is because my room didn't have a bathtub and after my walks I really needed someplace hot to put my legs and feet.

I plan to visit Berlin again and often and I will definitely stay here the next time I go. I recommend this place to anyone, especially solo travellers, couples (of any age) and students.

Happy Travels

• Liked — Location, Price, Staff, Breakfast, Hot/Water Pressure, Other People At Hotel
  • Disliked — No Bathtub, No Desk
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
athens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2007

We decided to visit berlin and found via internet about the Hotel Pension Kleist. although we had spoke several times with the receptionist she did not metion that the hotal was under construction we were very pleased of the hotel, the room and the very central possition of the hotel.the receptionist was helpful and really well mannered and when we visit berlin again we will definetely stay in tha same hotel again.

• Liked — the room was very nice
  • Disliked — the hotel was under construction and we did not see tha facade
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fort Myers, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2006

After a good stay in Feb. of this year, we decided to return to the Pension Kleist in Nov. The prices were very reasonable in Feb. and we were offered the same price this time (something they offer returning guests). Our first visit, we found the place to be clean, comfortable, quiet and with a decent breakfast buffet in the morning (included in the price). The location is excellent, a few streets from the Kurfuerstendamm, great cafes in the neighborhood (just bordering Charlottenburg) and near the S-Bahn & U-Bahn.

When we booked directly with the hotel this time, we were not warned that the whole building is undergoing major construction. Instead, when we arrived bleary eyed after a long flight from the US, we were "greeted" with scaffolding covering the whole building. The owner had "upgraded" us into the best room, but failed to tell us why she did this. We assumed it was a special offered to returning guests. We asked about the construction, but she said not to worry, they don't begin until 9:00am, they wouldn't be working Sat. thru Mon., and they were working in the courtyard side of the building. Our room faced the front of the building.

At 7:20am every morning, we were awoken with the arrival of the construction crew banging, talking, tools and equipment rattling. Yes, they did work mostly in the courtyard, but we still could not escape the arrival noise and they moved in and out of the building quite loudly. We also found them just outside our window talking, one morning, on the scaffolding. Not fun, especially when the windows are covered with very sheer curtains. They did not work Sat. & Sun., but they were back at 7:20am (this is punctual Germany, after all) Monday morning.

Towards the end of our trip, I was not feeling well and tried to sleep in until noon. That was the day of renovations within the Pension and the noise in the room next to us was intolerable.

If we had been told, at the time of reserving the room, that this outside construction and interior renovation of the pension rooms would be happening, we would have never booked it. Yes, we did have the option to leave upon arrival, but the owner made it seem like it wouldn't be a problem for us and we were too tired and drained to have to begin a new search (with our luggage) for alternative lodgings.

During our stay in Feb., we paid for our stay with a credit card. The 2nd to last night of our stay in Nov., we were informed that credit cards were no longer accepted and we would have to pay by cash. We spent a good portion of our last day, scurrying around to get all of the cash together. The owner also would not give us a discount, stating she had "upgraded" us to her best room as compensation for the construction noise. This was news to us!

I can only say, proceed with caution if you are considering this place. Inquire if construction is still going on (if you are staying over a weekend, it shouldn't be a problem) and definitely confirm the payment policies before you book. We will not be returning to this property in the future due to the lack of communication and the way we were treated, especially being returning guests.

• Liked — There was nothing, except the location, that I liked about this stay.
  • Disliked — Attitude and lack of concern by the owner, construction and renovation noise
  • Tips/Secrets — There are many other pension's in Berlin (especially this location), try them before considering this place.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel-Pension Kleist? Share your experiences!