“Nice, clean, big rooms, free wifi, excellent owners” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel-Pension Kleist
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Darmstadter Str 7, 10707 Berlin, Germany   |
Ranked #77 of 179 Berlin B&B and Inns
Verona, Italia
“Nice, clean, big rooms, free wifi, excellent owners”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

I'm in Berlin right now and I cannot wait to write my review on this little cozy hotel; I found it very easily by taking a bus from airport (Berlin-Tegel) to Adenauerplatz. Since I arrived very early in the morning I had to wait for my room but they offered me a complete and good breakfast-buffet, wifi connection from the main room on second floor and then the escorted me to my big, nice, clean and moder room. The gave me personal keys to open my room and main entrance (there's no 24h reception since it's a famiy-owned hotel), map of the city. I asked for a single room but I got a three beds room with flat TV, sofa, hot drinks facilities. The total white bathroom is bigger than mine at home (!), with shower, towels, hair-dryer, soaps, shampoo. Everything is very essential-style, modern, no-frills. Just one thing I don't appreciate, 15' walk from U-bahn (undergound station) and it's raining today.

Room Tip: Every room is quite since the hotel is on a very quite street, no traffic outside. Ask for the bigge...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

We stayed for three nights. Very cheap prices, cute and clean rooms, nicely furnished. The rooms are cleaned daily, towel change on request. There's hairdrier. Single rooms can be very small so better ask for a double one.
A bit far from the metro station but there's no problem if you don't mind taking a short walk. Almost no service and they speak a very poor English, you better give a call before arriving especially if it is at night. Breakfast is ok. Highly recommended as a cheap solution.

• Stayed February 2011
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

We spent three nights in Berlin and were pleased with this hotel. The location is safe and quiet even if you are travelling by car. You can park your car in front of the hotel and it only costs 4€ per day.

The lady is very friendly and helpfull. Breakfast is good and is included it the price. Room was simple and clean but very hot because of the heat (over +40 degrees in sun)! It is easy to explore Berlin from here and in the evening you don´t have to go far to find a good restaurant. There are many good places to eat near this hotel.

But notice that this is more like a B&B than a hotel. By this I mean that be prepared to use same towels and sheets during your stay. Also the hotel doesn´t have a 24h reception. Before you arrive you are asked to tell your arrival time. Then the lady will come and let you in after you have called her (number is by the entrance). At least this happened to us and we arrived around 7 o´clock in the evening.

Good hotel with good price in a big city!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Kiev, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Spent 3 days here and everything was ok. Hotel is located in the old building, taking one of the floors, rest is residential. Rooms (at least single) are small but clear and bright. The hotel is good located near Kurfürstendamm Strasse, direct bus to/from airport, close to metro and restaurants. Despite the central location it is very quiet here, also because my window was to the courtyard side. And the main thing – it is not expensive!
I remember one thing: friendly, russian-speaking (she is from Kazakhstan) stuff member provided me water in my room exactly in the morning when I need it after I got little hangover after party at nightclub :) Thanks to them.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Sydney Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights in March.

Before we arrived, the hotel specially emailed me to ask what time we would be arriving, and I replied to say at night (since we were flying in from Brussels and would be arriving around 9). So when we arrived and the hotel was closed, we were shocked. We could not even get into the building as when we pressed the buzzer, no one answered. Finally some other people arrived so we walked in with them, however when we arrived at reception, there was still no one around. Eventually we had to call them (using our Australian mobile phone) and they said they thought we weren't coming! They told us where to locate the room key and we let ourselves in.

The room was very basic and we had two single beds, despite booking a double room. When we asked to change to a double room, they said they were all full. The bathroom was tiny. The next morning no one even apologised to us for the night before. The staff could barely speak English and even asking for a map was a nightmare! The breakfast was ok but the staff began packing up well before the closing time and did not replace the empty dishes, so there was not much left by the end.

What was worse, I left my jacket there and I emailed them a number of times to try and arrange to get it back as I was going to be in Germany, and they didn't even have the courtesy to reply.

The hotel is in a very suburban area with not many restaurants nearby.

The room was supposed to have wifi but we struggled to get a connection.

My advice - look elsewhere!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Saint Albert
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2008

When I arrived at the hotel, I was greeted by the owner who was extemely helpfull and knew, before I even asked, what I needed to know about getting around Berlin! I was even provided with a map and a 24 hour help number, just in case I lost my keys or even myself!

One of the best things about this hotel is the price relative to its location! Everything you need is only 10 minutes away or less; train station, subway, bus, pubs, cafe's restaurants, grocery, internet, taxi, pharmacy, shopping....

And if you like to walk then you can get to anywhere from here. I even walked to the main train station (Berlin Hauptbahnhof) and back via the Reichstag building and it is doable.

A block north of the hotel, on the same side, is a pub/restaurant called Solo (or something like that). It is a pub/restaurant with a Cuban theme. The variety of food, the price and preparation was superb and the waitress's are very attractive. But bring a phrase book with you. The girls don't speak very much english and they will appreciate the effort you put into your ordering in their native tongue.

The hotel serves a diverse cliental from just about everywhere so breakfast conversation is never lacking. Even if you don't speak German I heard people talking in Polish, Spanish and French and you will almost always run into someone who speaks at least a little English.

There is free internet in every room and the common area is always open. Also, the hot water was plentiful (adjust carefully so you don't scald yourself), and the water pressure more than adequate.

The only reason I cannot give a rating of excellence for this place is because my room didn't have a bathtub and after my walks I really needed someplace hot to put my legs and feet.

I plan to visit Berlin again and often and I will definitely stay here the next time I go. I recommend this place to anyone, especially solo travellers, couples (of any age) and students.

Happy Travels

• Liked — Location, Price, Staff, Breakfast, Hot/Water Pressure, Other People At Hotel
  • Disliked — No Bathtub, No Desk
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
athens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2007

We decided to visit berlin and found via internet about the Hotel Pension Kleist. although we had spoke several times with the receptionist she did not metion that the hotal was under construction we were very pleased of the hotel, the room and the very central possition of the hotel.the receptionist was helpful and really well mannered and when we visit berlin again we will definetely stay in tha same hotel again.

• Liked — the room was very nice
  • Disliked — the hotel was under construction and we did not see tha facade
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel-Pension Kleist? Share your experiences!