“Optimum Otto!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel OTTO

You added Hotel OTTO to your Saves list
Hotel OTTO
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Knesebeckstrasse 10 | 10623 Berlin, 10623 Berlin, Germany (Charlottenburg)   |
Ranked #5 of 666 Hotels in Berlin
London, United Kingdom
“Optimum Otto!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Great Charlottenburg location, only a 10 minute walk from Tiergarten. Ultra-modern, clean, comfortable. Great bathroom. Fantastic breakfast offering all you could possibly want, and well worth the €15 supplement. Friendly, helpful staff who try really hard. From midday to 9pm, complimentary coffee, tea and cake are available in the 7th floor breakfast room with a rooftop terrace - a nice touch, as is the complimentary mineral water and umbrella loans.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed 5 nights at the end of September and we were delighted with our choice of this hotel. The location is first class being only a couple of minutes to the U-bahn and about 5 minutes to the S-bahn - in turn only a few minutes by train to Zoo station or Hbf. The area abounds with a wide range of bars and restaurants and Hotel Otto will give good advice as where to eat. The hotel itself is in a pleasant area, away from the hordes of tourists but still close enough to all the action you may seek. Staff were very efficient and friendly. Our room, on the second floor was very quiet and most spacious as well as super clean. Good bathroom facilities. Breakfast, in a pleasant room on the 7 floor with views to the City, was extremely good. Unlimited free WiFi available in your room. An excellent hotel. Only minor downside is that the lift stops halfway between floors, and not at each level, but this is no big deal

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Is this hotel named after the much revered inventor of the brassiere, Otto Titsling? Get it? Tit-sling. OK, that's what Bette Midler sang in "Beaches", but I think she made that up. I saw no paintings of full-figured brassieres in my room... oh wait, there was that pink mannequin wallpaper with the pointy tit... uh, skip it.

If you want modern, minimalist and surprisingly comfortable, you don't need to look much further than Hotel Otto in the tony neighborhood of Charlottenburg. It's all that with an undeniable hipster factor that should appeal to anyone looking for mid-priced cosmopolitan accommodations close enough to the city center. What's especially nice is that the location is on a quiet street but within a three-minute walk from a U-Bahn station in one direction (Ernst-Reuter-Platz) and a five-minute stroll to the S-Bahn station in the other direction (Sauvignyplatz).

It's definitely a boutique hotel with just 46 rooms. There's a front desk with someone who is locally informed and multilingual, no lobby, and you hear very little foot traffic. There's a spacious breakfast area up on the 7th floor which does give you a rooftop view of Charlottenburg, and the elevator, as slow as it is, is filled with tropical bird noises for reasons only known to the owner. Quirky touches abound as there's even a "surprise" button in the elevator that you can press to hear the cock-a-doodle-do of a rooster in the morning.

I was honestly impressed with the spacious room (see photo) - two adjoining double beds with down comforters (no spreads), a walk-in dressing room and closet, a separate bathroom, basic cable TV (with just CNN in English), free WiFi (though you need to retrieve the code at the front desk). For $146 per night, I thought it was quite a good deal given the proximity to the Ku'damm (Kurfurstendamm), the city's main shopping boulevard, and several top-notch restaurants. I would definitely consider coming back for my next visit.

Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Berlin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

After a lot of searching on the internet we found this place in Berlin. Upon arriving we were greeted by friendly staff and they were very helpful. The room is clean and it's a great area of Berlin to stay in.

This hotel is great if you want to be in Berlin but you want to avoid a lot of tourist crowds. We had the feeling that this hotel was surrounded by shops and restaurant German people would visit.

If you are a budget traveller, there are a lot of cheap and secure parking spaces around the area and also dining places for a great price.

The only "bad" thing about the hotel is that it's pretty loud. We could hear the traffic and sometimes the stumbling of somebody in the hotel. It wasn't a big issue, but something that you notice sometimes.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This was our second stay, returning again after Oct 2011 visit on friends recommendation. Excellent location to see the many attractions in Berlin. Public transit is easily accessible for Ubahn, SBahn and the Buses. Breakfast is a little pricey but excellent quality so can't complain.

We felt right at home and staff was always courteous and helpful.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Location is perfect for exploring, even though it is in such a lovely area that we didn't really want to leave - the minute you walk out of the hotel there are cafes, bars, restaurants, shops, jazz clubs etc. Big plus of the hotel is complimentary afternoon snacks on the roof terrase - get a newspaper, cake, coffee, tea, fruit and just relax. Rooms are bit warm though, but we happened to visit on a weekend with very warm temperatures. The only hotel letdown was staff - I think we were unlucky as the same receptionist was on duty for 2 days/2 nights. She just was not very knowledgable. 2 days into exploring the city we wanted to do some shopping, but not in the main area. In the hotel magazine there was mention about a new shopping centre a little bit out of city with amazing views, collection of shops and also galleries. When asked what metro station it was at she looked at me like she didn't know what I was talking about.. She eventually looked it up online and was able to help. Second incident was with directions to a restaurant, one of the recommended ones close to hotel. When asking her, I said I know it is close to hotel, but could you just tell us if we should go left or right, she waved her hand towards to the street and just said "over there". Lastly, on our final day we had 3,5 hours "to kill" before the airport, I approached her to say we visited all the main sites and I know there are many many art galleries, but wold she have any recommendations for current exibits, not to miss galleries, etc. She just said "sorry, it is not my area of expertise". We walked away and found amazing Berlin exibition just 10 minutes walk from hotel. Why could she not have told us that?

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My second stay at Hotel Otto. Last year I had a bigger room on upper floor but no complaints about my room this time on first. It was large enough, spotless and served its' primary function as a place to sleep.
For me, the great thing about the Otto is that once you have checked in you can come and go as you please and your interaction with the staff depends on your needs. I used it as a place to sleep and often slept in late after coming back in the early hours. I was never disturbed and my room was cleaned when I finally went out.
Complimentary coffee and cakes on the top floor is a nice touch in the afternoon and easy access to either the U2 or Savigny Platz suits me fine.
I left the hotel early and realised when I returned home that I had left some shopping in my room. A quick email was all that was required to confirm that the hotel had my shopping and would send it to me immediately. I received it within a few days. This is the service in the background that I like. I will certainly stay at the Otto again.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Hotel OTTO? Share your experiences!