“quirky, quaint and very friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Pension Columbus
Meinekestrasse 5 | Near the Ku'damm, 10719 Berlin, Germany (Charlottenburg)   |
Ranked #108 of 668 Hotels in Berlin
Accra, Ghana
“quirky, quaint and very friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The location is great - see the other reviews for details. We ate at 2 restaurants within 30 seconds of the front door, and one that was a full 2 minutes away - there are loads to choose from and very good. Only problem is, if you have a big dinner, then you may not be able to make the most of the wonderful breakfast provided at the Columbus (included in the room cost). Breakfast at the Columbus, in the lovely bright little dining room, was a highlight of each day. Non-stop tea and coffee, lots of food to choose from, and just very relaxing. Once again, only 'problem' with this was running out of time to see all of the sights of Berlin. So, why only 4 stars? Many rooms are not with en-suite bathroom. Some have just a shower (in the bedroom itself) but no toilet. We had a separate toilet and shower room, with the sink the corner of the bedroom. It's a little unusual. And the decor is similarly unusual and eclectic - although decor is more fun when it's quirky than bathrooms are.
All in all, it's a great place, and we will definitely go back when we are in Berlin.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Snow Lake, MB
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

This hotel is clean, quiet, and comfortable and came at a very reasonable price. The location is great, close to Ku'damm and the Zoo train station. Many good restaurants nearby as well. The hotel has a nice historic theme and offers the basic needs in fine fashion. The breakfast was delicious and the hosts were second to none. I would definitely recommend a stay if you are touring through Berlin. Many tours of the city start nearby and any services you require can likely be found nearby.

Room Tip: I had a room at the very end of the hallway that was very quiet. The floors are a little creaky, bu...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I picked this hotel from TripAdvisor reviews and was not disappointed. Travelling alone, and for one day of business and one of touristing, this hotel could not have been better located - a simple 20 minute bus ride from Tiegel, a safe neighbourhood just off Kurfurstendamm and hospitable and helpful hosts.

I wasn't expecting luxury accommodation, and it wasn't. But the hotel is clean, comfortable and has wifi. Other guests were friendly without being overbearing and appeared to come from all over the world judging by the conversations in the breakfast room. Breakfast was generous and tasty, and the room was bright and airy. It's three floors up in a grand old Berlin building, but there's a lift and to be honest, unless you're carrying luggage, the huge dramatic stairway is the way to travel up and down!

Kris (the owner) and her husband could not have been more helpful, both via email when I was arranging my stay, and once I was there. I arrived very late which they assured me was not a problem, and hung onto my bags on the day I left so that I didn't have to trawl around Berlin sights with them.

The area is lively and fun, but as a single woman exploring the city I never felt unsafe, and I loved all the shops, cafes and bars around the neighbourhood of the hotel, especially the Cafe am Literature Haus on the next street along.

I would definitely come back to the the Columbus and would be happy bringing the rest of the family. And I'd revisit the amazing falafel cafe in Winterburgplatz, where there is also a wonderful 'real' German market (i.e. not for tourists) on a Saturday.

Room Tip: My room was a single, and had a tiny bathroom - fine for me, but I could see from open doors during...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Homely stay with chris as our host, From the moment she welcomed us to the minute she said goodbye nothing was too much trouble,, helpful and informative. Great breakfast, a very quaint dining room, meet people from all over the world whilst eating.. Rooms may not be up to "hilton type " but all individual styles and comfy beds make this a good place to stay, five minutes from the train/underground station Good location for getting around the city.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Quaint hotel in beautiful old building. Rooms were large and comfortable. Breakfast was delicious and was included in the price. The hostess, Kris, made our stay so enjoyable. She was helpful and ever-cheerful. Hotel is about a 10 minute walk from S and U bahn stations.

• Stayed September 2012
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel was truly such a wonderful surprise. My boyfriend and I arrived here in the afternoon after a truly miserable night train experience. We were definitely looking for something good. On first look you wonder where the actual Hotel is in the big building, but you find it on the 3rd floor and are immediately welcomed by it. The rooms are cozy and the beds are amazing. Coming from a week in a half in Italy, we were surprised and excited at how comfortable the mattresses were.

Chris and her husband Klaus, run this almost bed and breakfast. It is clean, warm, very spacious and a little bit funky (in a very good way, none of the towels match and I love that). They serve breakfast each morning which is an impressive spread of meats, breads, homemade yogurt, cereal, cheese, coffee, and soft boiled eggs. I could not believe it when Chris brought out the soft boiled eggs!! I was so excited. Apparently that is a German thing because we found it in the next two cities we visited, but they were prepared the best here.

Originally we had only booked 3 nights at Hotel Columbus, but Berlin has so much to see and do that we wanted to stay another night. On the morning we were supposed to check out, we checked and it said they had another room available for the night. Chris was so accommodating and helped us switch rooms. They even moved our luggage for us. This night we spengt in a room that did not include a bathroom and it was still absolutely perfect and we were so excited to be staying there again. I will recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a place to stay in Berlin. It was located close to public transport and easy to walk to close attractions. We loved it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I have just returned from Berlin and my third stay at the Columbus so beautifully run by Chrissie and Klauss Konig . This small hotel is just perfect , the hosts are always glad to be of help with advice on transport or directions etc. the breakfast is amazingly good with wide choice of cereals and fresh fruits , home made yoghurt , freshly boiled eggs , a wide variety of bread and cold meat and cheeses and endless supply of coffee and tea etc.The position of the hotel is excellent just off Kurferstandam ,very handy for all the best shops ,lots of local restaurants and a metro and buses two minutes away . There is nowhere in Berlin that I would rather stay . Heres to the next time !!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends