“One of the best bars in Berlin” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Newton Bar

Newton Bar
Charlottenstrasse 57 | Mitte, 10117 Berlin, Germany (Mitte)
030 20 61 29 99
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 482 Nightlife in Berlin
Type: Bar/ Clubs, Bars
Hessen
12 attraction reviews
“One of the best bars in Berlin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This is a very nice cozy bar. The second floor is smoking area. People are open, and it can be fun even if you don't know anybody (what I can't say about many German bars in general)

If you like whiskey, they have an amazing menu... The prices are okay.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
“Trendy Lounge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Trendy, cool bar; closer to a lounge. Bar tenders are not overly friendly but nice enough. Music is chill--very American, but nondescript--you'll recognize the song but won't remember it.

No food here, just drinks.

Nonsmoking section is downstairs but upstairs is a cigar lounge. They sell cigars too.

Crowd is a mix between young and old, but don't come here expecting to meet someone. Very much a "couples bar" (but not annoyingly so as I am here alone).

Lots of alcohol choices--note I say alcohol and not beer.

I got here at 8:00pm on a Sat and by 9:30 the noise level and crowd have elevated a bit. I recommend as a cool place to stop--as long as you aren't looking for something 'traditionally German'

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
55 attraction reviews
“Great bar, great cocktails!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My boyfriend and I came here twice during our 4 day stay in Berlin.

We stayed in Berlin Monday - Thursday so I can't comment on how busy it gets on a weekend, it was busy when we went, lots of locals, but we were still able to get a table no problem both times we came here.

My boyfriend had beer and I tried a couple of their cocktails, which were lovely. Second time we visited, I ordered a 'Tropical' cocktail, (an orange and champagne cocktail) which was delicious. However, upon ordering my second glass of the drink I accidentally knocked it off the table (full glass too - I hadn't even had one sip from it!) The waitress was lovely about it though and made me another on the house.

Drinks are fairly priced too, for the Tropical, we paid about €14, which is about on par with what we'd pay in a bar / club at home.

Low lit intimate lighting, lots of happy locals, lovely staff - a great bar.

Exeter, United Kingdom
61 attraction reviews
“Small, busy, but worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Popped in here one night after reading about it in a guide book. The bar is quite small, and can get cramped as it gets busier during the night, so best get there early evening. The menu of drinks is very impressive, probably every type of cocktail and alcohol you can think of on the menu, and the decor of naked women along the wall is.... interesting!

Prices are not cheap, with cocktails starting at around €10, but the atmosphere inside was good and so was the music. Not sure I would go there on a Friday/Saturday night however when it would very busy, but if in Berlin, its worth a visit.

Mountain View
“Nice upscale bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stopped by the Newton Bar a couple of times while I was in Berlin. It's an upscale bar, with a nice decor and very professional bartenders. Drinks aren't cheap, but that goes with upscale.

The bar is notable because of the black and white photos of nude women on one wall of the first floor. The photographer was Helmut Newton, the bar's namesake. Smoking is allowed at the tables outdoors or on the second floor. The restrooms are on the second floor and a fee (nominally a tip) is expected by the attendant at the door.

Like many bars in Berlin, the Newton doesn't really get busy until well past 10 PM. Although it has a reputation for "escorts" I didn't see much evidence to support the claim. While there were many women in attendance, they seemed to be either part of a couple or part of a larger party of women.

Will I go back? Possibly, if I have time free late at night and I'm in the area.

Visited October 2012