“One thing missing: character.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel de Rome to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Behrenstrasse 37, 10117 Berlin, Germany   |
Ranked #5 of 662 Hotels in Berlin
Sydney, Australia
“One thing missing: character.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The staff were fantastic and Concierge went out of their way to help with directions, umbrellas, hotel bikes and taxis - while throwing in some typical Berliner dry humour. The room was superbly comfortable, the food was delicious, and it was easy to doze off on a lounge by the underground pool. And yes, it was a good location - and possibly a wonderful reason for first-timers to Berlin. These were the best attributes about the hotel. Design-wise, I found the hotel somewhat impersonal. I could've been anywhere in the world. The rooftop bar was windy (at the time) and seemed barren and vulnerable to the elements. The outdoor patio of the restaurant was, however, the only place with some 'warmth', fenced with flowers. I lived and worked in Berlin for a year and returned a couple of times so I know the city quite well and for some reason, this hotel does not capture the essence of Berlin's charm. No character. No soul. Well, it was formerly a bank. My friend was a first-timer to Berlin and had none of this experience to compare it too and loved the hotel, loved the location and the place. But for me, I would've found something else. If you do stay at the Hotel de Rome, ensure you rent a hotel bike and ride down the Under den Linden and cruise through the glorious sun-dappled Tiergarten. At least that way you will capture some of Berlin's beauty and soul as a guest of the Hotel de Rome.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hotel-de-Rome-37, Executive Office at Hotel de Rome, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Carolineeeeee,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write so extensively about your stay at Hotel de Rome.

We are delighted to read about your satisfaction; in special with our service, our staff and with our concierge team.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again Hotel de Rome and remain at your full disposal for anything you may require.

Best regards from Berlin,
Hotel de Rome

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Couldn't be happier with my stay at Hotel de Rome. The location was perfect because you could walk everywhere from the hotel. Rooms are beautifully decorated in hushed tones of grey with great views of historic buildings adjacent to the hotel. They have a lavish spread for breakfast and fab spa at the lower level perfect for unwinding at the end of the day and Katja the concierge is amazing!

• Stayed October 2012
Dear RafeNewYork,

We hope you had a safe trip back home!

We are delighted to read that you have been pleased with our services and facilities and thank you for highlighting our concierge Katja.

We look forward welcoming you again to Hotel de Rome and remain

with kind regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights at the end of September. The Hotel is lovely and located close to many sights and museums. Service was very efficient and the concierge was extremely helpful with restaurants and train tickets. My room was clean and spacious. Make certain to try the upstairs rooftop bar. Views are stunning. My only gripe is the charge for internet. More and more hotels are including complementary internet and I really resent paying for it when rooms are costly. Overall I would stay here again without question.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the plaza in front.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
St Albans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Beautiful hotel, huge bedrooms and a stunning banqueting hall, modern but with lots of the traditional features of the old building. Fabulous roof top terrace. Good gym by European standards and a very nice pool too. The service was great, food lovely, room decor fresh and classy. My only criticism is that I think they only seem to have one Doorman on duty at a time so at busy times we were ignored...

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Magnificent entrance lobby, but generally not my cup of tea. Very pompous buidling, but rooms are dark and the hotel makes a generally very unpersonal impression. Staff are not too friendly, food is nothing special. Not really a business hotel, even though they try to cater for business functions too. Just a bit too pretentious for my taste.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
coffs harbour Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We spent 3 great nights in Berlin in Mid September 2012 on holidays with a group of friends. The hotel was fantastic - central location, short walk to Brandenburg gate and Museum Island and city shops, restaurants. The rooms were fantastic - King Size beds , huge bedroom, seperate bathroom with bath and seperate shower/heated floor, high ceilings,walk in double wardrobe.The staff (in fact everything) were 5 star, from doormen,porters, reception staff and housekeeping and the concierge was exceptional. We had breakfast , lunch and a dinner (3 different days) at the hotel restaurant and this was terrific as well. The roof top bar is also worth a visit on a sunny afternoon - a beautiful terrace to share a drink and view of the city. I would highly recommend this hotel. We stayed at a range of hotels on our 3 week tour of Europe and this was in a league of its own. We could not find anything that we would suggest to improve - our only tip is book in advance and you will find rates that make this hotel a bargain.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Went here for a wedding only a week or so ago and I stayed at Hotel de Rome as the reception was in the hotel so for convenience sake, I stayed there. Also from the pictures it looked lovely; beautiful roof terrace, lobby, function rooms, bar etc.

I was expecting a lot too as one of my favourite bars is the bar at Brown's Hotel which was a Rocco Forte Hotel.

Anyway, having been upgraded to a deluxe room, I was happy at reception. I was also happy at the size of room I got (although not strictly necessary for one!). Then I looked out the window and opposite was an office block. And by opposite, I mean small courtyard opposite so there 'seemed' a total lack of privacy. I basically had to keep the curtains closed to feel as if I had space; this made it rather depressing!

However if you don't mind this, then the bed, the pillows, the bath/ shower room were all lovely. The REN products too were also a nice little touch

I used the gym whilst I was there and that too was a little depressing. It was in a basement and although the equipment was all new and it was very clean, the lighting (or lack thereof) made it seem a full place to be. The pool was very nice though; didn't use it but it looked very nice and clean. Having a spa was an additional benefit too so this made it truly an all inclusive hotel and perfect for a short break.

Breakfast wasn't cheap at €30 per head for a buffet but all the items were very high quality so I guess there is a price to pay for this.

Overall, maybe I am being a bit precious but it was a relatively expensive hotel and I just didn't think it was worth it. Maybe a bit harsh as I live in Asia so value is much better this side of the world. Compared to any Parisian hotel at the same price, you'd be getting a lot so don't read this as a total slating of the hotel. It's nice but just not quite as nice as I had hoped. I would probably say its in a great location and it's great for a romantic weekend where everything is available. Just don't expect mandarin oriental/ four seasons/ shangri la luxury!

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Hotel de Rome? Share your experiences!