“ok stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 182 Berlin B&B and Inns
Calgary, Canada
“ok stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

I know that European standards are different than North American, but the room was a bit small, bed was ok. Staff was friendly and the room was in the inside of the building, which was very quiet. The location was good with very easy access to public transportation. I'd recommend this hotel if the price is good, otherwise I'd try somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

To attend the Berlinale film festivals in 2012 and 2013 I rented self catering apartments in the City Guesthouse Pension Berlin, each time for a 10 days period, where I stayed at the address Gleimstrasse nr 24 in the Prenzlauer Berg district. Unlike earlier years in hotels with usually crowded rooms, this time I had plenty of space for myself. Also, I could prepare my own meals in the kitchen that was part of the apartment. The Schönhauser Allee shopping center was just around the corner (400 meters away), with all shops and services you can think of. When walking 450 meters in the other direction, there was a supermarket opened all day and night (but not on Sundays). In other words, for a self catering traveler like myself, this location had everything I wished for.
The introductory tour around the apartment was concise yet effective and complete. Additionally, I received a very useful explanation about the Berlin public transport service. I received several maps showing each station and all tram, bus and underground lines in and around the city. Last but not least, I received directions to my first priority upon arrival: available supermarkets close-by.
The same company also hosts an apartment hotel in the Pankov district (Selma-Lagerlöf-Str. 11). It is a bit confusing when you try to book the Gleimstrasse apartment via one of the well known booking sites, such as Booking.com. That is why I mention this explicitly here, as a heads up for others. The same confusion strikes when you look for reviews for this location, in which case you are often misrouted to the Selma-Lagerlöf address. The latter may be at a similar service level and may suit many others, but it is farther away from the city center hence less convenient for me.
In all previous years I stayed on the safe side and looked only for residences in the Berlin Mitte department, roughly somewhere between Potsdamer Platz and Alexander Platz, because of these being in the neighborhood of most venues where festival films are screened. Later on I discovered the Gleimstrasse location to be even better, due to the immediate vicinity of an important Berlin public transport node, namely the Schönhauser Allee station. From there you have the U2 underground to Alexander Platz and Potsdamer Platz, the S41/42 “ring” that encloses all relevant places and offers convenient transfers to all important bus/tram/metro lines, and also the M1 tram that brings you to the Friedichstadt Palast. And last-but-not least: only 200 meters away from the apartment is the Colosseum movie theater that also shows part of the Berlinale program.
The apartments I had in 2012 and 2013 were not the same, albeit both on the 1st floor. In 2012 I could choose between a bedroom at the street side and one looking out on a courtyard that was part of the hotel. I opted for the latter, as I feared noises from the street to keep me awake in the night. In 2013, however, my only bedroom was at the street side, and I found out that the sound isolation was as good as perfect, without nightly interference in spite of the busy environment.
Another positive surprise was about doing the dishes. Neither apartment had a dishwasher, which I deemed a bit inconvenient but I had convinced myself to cope nevertheless, since the apartment satisfied all my other requirements. But to my pleasant surprise, the dishwasher proved to be redundant, while the daily cleaning staff took care of my dirty tableware and cutlery as a matter of course.
All in all, I had nothing really to complain of. I discovered the first evening that some of the lights did not work, but these were replaced first thing the next morning. And I missed a water cooker, that was brought along the next morning too. I only had a bit of trouble with the wireless Internet, that dropped my connection from time to time. But a helpful reception desk employee offered me the access code for an alternative hotspot, that worked flawlessly for the rest of my 10 days stay. Similarly, in 2012 I also had a few minor problems. All of these either corrected upon request, or deemed to be of minor importance and not hampering my stay there. The relatively small staff proves to be very service oriented, always very comforting when far away from home. The building is obviously not high tech and does not have the latest and greatest gadgets, but it is what happens inside that really counts.

Room Tip: Make sure in advance that your room contains what you really need, and verify it on the confirmation...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I like the option of a pension. It's like having an apartment to use as a home base when visiting temporarily at a very affordable price.

I was hesitant to stay at this pension because there were no reviews on TripAdvisor yet. But I really wanted to stay in the Prenzlauer Berg neighborhood of East Berlin. I found the location perfect. Only 2 blocks from the U2 (U-Bahn) and S42/S41 (The ring bahn/S-Bahn lines S41 moves clockwise, the S42 anti-clockwise) Schönhauser Allee station. It's close to a main street with shops, restaurants, and a bank but far enough down the cross-street you couldn't hear the noise of the main road or even the cross-street from Room #10 which faces the cross-street. It's also not far from the Berlin Wall Memorial.

The Wi-Fi/WLAN did not work in our room with our U.S. iphones and iPad. But the staff was quick to give us an alternative network to join which worked great. They were also quick to fix a three minor equipment issues (burnt out lightbulb, wobbly toilet flusher lever, shower door misalignment).

The only disappointment was that we weren't able to cancel our breakfast fees. In my opinion, what was offered was not worth 5 euros in my opinion and my travel companion was not hungry at the local time breakfast hour.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to City Guesthouse Pension Berlin? Share your experiences!