“great location” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Carmacks, Canada
“great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights. The staff was so friendly and helpful. I had a 4 bed shared dorm. It definately was a smaller room but that was sorta because it was a boat. I loved how they had portholes in the rooms. I found it very charming. It was very clean and found the bathroom adequate.

There is no internet in the cabins because of the metal but they have a lovely sitting area upstairs where you get excellent internet access.

The location is great. Its right buy a metro station and a short walk from the bus station. It is right beside the oberbaum bridge which makes a nice stroll. its also right beside the eastern wall. It makes a lovely stroll to look at all the cool art. Its also interesting piece of history. I remember as a small child watching the wall fall on tv. I remember my parents telling me about what it meant and how important it was so it was nice to be so close to a piece of history.

There is no kitchen but they have a staff microwave and fridge at reception which they will let you use. I had cup of soup for dinner and they gave me a bowl and spoon and boiled water for me. You pay 5 euros for breakfast which is worth it if you want the convience however food is so cheap in germany that you could buy your own food for cheaper. I missed breakfast because I slept through it one night. They were very nice and let me use my ticket for the next morning instead. Breakfast is very nice. Its a traditional German breakfast with buns and sliced meat and cheese. I think they also had yogurt and cereal options. The food is good quality and you can have as much as you like.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Budapest, Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Pleasant hostel with proper boat cabins, most of them overlooking the Spree. Ducks approach as you open the window in the morning, they expect morsels in exchange for their lovely sight :) There is a nice lounge on top--great for an evening drink and hard to get away from after breakfast. The stroll along the Wall is highly memorable as you walk to the nearest Ubahn station. The only drawback is the impossibly small bath/toilet in the cabin.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My friend and I stayed here in September and right from the beginning of booking the accomodation online the staff were so friendly & helpful (they told us how to get to the hostel using the S-Bahn from the main train station at 4.30am). This continued when we arrived until we sadly said goodbye after 4 days. Everyone on the boat mattered to the staff, they went beyond their care of duty.
The location is great, right behind the Berlin wall. We hired bikes from the hostel and rode into Alexanderplatz and beyond. The staff had given us a map and pointed out the best route to take to see the sights. Restaurants and cafes are in abundance.We really enjoyed returning to the hostel in the afternoons to have an apperitiff or two, in the "Floating Lounge" before heading out for dinner.
I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone for any occasion. I certainly will be returning. One thing I will also mention is the English Night that was held whilst we were there. What a great night of entertainment, lots of people to meet from all over the world.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for a 5 night long weekend surrounding the Berlin marathon weekend. The staff were very friendly and helpful from the off, allowing us to leave our bags until we could check in and providing a map highlighting things to do. All restaurant and market recommendations made by the staff, we did, and thoroughly enjoyed all of them. The view from the portholes was awesome in the mornings, being so close to the water and seeing such lovely sunrises and sensets from the deck. The rooms aren't massive, but remember it is a hostel. But such a nice, different experience being on a boat and so close to the U-Bahn and S-Bahn stations, nice restuarants and bars. We would definitely stay there when we go back to Berlin and would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Farum, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Just had my second stay there for the Berlin Inline Marathon..

The staff there are some of the best I have ever met! Highly professional and extremely friendly! Makes you feel like you are guests at their own home.
I had made a mixup in my reservation and booked a shared room (not funny when traveling with my girlfriend), but the staff (Kirsten) was very fast in helping me out so we could stay one night on Western Comfort and then move to a nice double bed they have set up in their office. All in all a nice solution to a problem that they really shouldn't care about since I could just have checked.
I've already booked for next year and made a few new believers out of two friends who I convinced to stay there this year.

Whenever I'm in Berlin.. This is the place I'm going (only in a 1st class cabin next time.. ;-) )

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Prague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

The location is good, very close to s-bahn. It's right behind the Berlin Wall, which is cool, cause it blocks the noise from the road. You can take a walk to Alexanderplatz, or you can cross the old bridge and there you have plenty of restaurants, parks, bakeries... The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful, fluent english, they accept credit cards... there's a restaurant up on the deck - we haven't tried that unfortunately, but it looked quite tempting - especially in the evening, being all lit up and colourful (yet very quiet, no annoying music)

Room Tip: There are two boats. The "Floating lounge" one has private bathrooms, the other one has sh...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Positives
Great location (just make sure you come out of the station the right way if getting there by train), really friendly helpful staff, who speak amazing English.
Loads of places to eat across the bridge (5 mins walk) but be prepared for everything but German food!
Sitting on the deck watching the sun go down.
The bar has good décor and the Wi-Fi is free

Negatives
The beds are uncomfortable even in a private room, you can feel the base though the foam mattress.
Very small cabins - fine for a few days but if you are expecting more don't.
There is a lot of crap graffiti in the area and as a lover of decent graffiti art the tagging was a bit depressing.

On the whole a good random experience, it is at the end of the day a hostel but Berlin is an awesome city that you should visit.

Room Tip: Make sure you book onto the Eastern Comfont the Western looks like the poor relation...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Eastern Comfort Hostelboat? Share your experiences!