“Good for a city break and looking for function over finesse” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre

You added Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stresemannstrasse 49, 10963 Berlin, Germany (Kreuzberg)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #181 of 663 Hotels in Berlin
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good for a city break and looking for function over finesse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Good location only about 400 yds from Potsdamer. Rooms were clean and functional - no frills but it is an Express version of the holiday Inn so as expected. Room was warm at night with great pillows! Only critiscm was the wardrobe was an open design with little space for shelving (we were a 3 night stay, but would be fine for a 1 or 2 nightwear).

Lounge area sits next to the open bar which has fast free WiFi (pay for it in the rooms). Breakfast area is large and selection and quality were good - coffee and tea selection is very good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GSM_HIEX_Berlin_CC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear johnxhamilton,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about our hotel.
I´m happy that you like our rooms, our breakfast, our free wifi and our central location.

On your next trip to Berlin, we would be pleased to welcome you back at the Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Center.

Jens Meissner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This Holiday Inn Express is so busy with both tourists and business people, it felt more like being in a train station, with all the going and the coming. Nevertheless our room on the 6th floor was very quiet. The 6th floor is for IHG club members. Wonder what the difference is with the other floors, because it didn't feel any different - and I have stayed at the HIE on Kurfürstenstrasse in a regular twin room which was exactly the same : room is small with twin beds, small bathroom, writing desk with 1 chair (why always 1 chair in a double/twin room ???) a water boiler with tea and coffee and a TV. Unfortunately you cannot put the beds together since there's a small table in between which holds a telephone. No wifi in the room; only in the lobby which at times can be crowded with people and their tablets in the sofas.
The first evening we found out the shower wasn't working. But that was fixed immediately the next morning.
Breakfast is included in the room rate. Not bad, but not really quality food items. I remember the breakfast we had in HIE Kurfürstenstrasse being better.
I suggest coming for breakfast before 8 am, because afterwards it gets really very, very busy.
The location is OK, but at least 15 minutes fast walk to Potsdamer Platz and a few minutes from Anhalter Bahnhof S-Bahn station.
Across from the hotel there's a small Netto supermarket (kind of Lidl) if you need something.
We paid 82 € and all in all it was relatively good value for the money, considering the moment.

Room Tip: Highest floor was very quiet.
Dear Dezdemona,
Thank you for taking time to create a review about our hotel.
It is always a pleasure to have feedback from our guest.
I´m sorry that we could not provide you fully satisfactory.
Our air-conditioned rooms are functional, with hairdryer, satellite TV, complimentary tea and coffee making facilities and a telephone and high speed internet access invite them for short stay in Berlin.

Jens Meissner
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We had never been to Berlin before and booked this hotel because of its close proximity to Checkpoint Charlie, Brandenburg Gate etc so we could walk there. We booked a room with one queen bed and sofa bed. On arrival at around 2.30pm even as a platinum member the room was not ready. They said come back in 3/4 of an hour. We allowed slightly longer and came back, room still not ready. After about another 1/4 of an hour we finally were given a room - front desk acted like it was an upgrade and said its on 6th floor. We go up to the room and find its got something like "IHG rewards member" sign on the door - but this is not a "club" floor. Inside the room we find it has the typical European style two single beds and only one chair to sit at, but the real issue was the room was tiny with hardly anywhere to put our suitcases and we only had one each. We check our booking and think where is our queen sized bed and the sofa bed? Back down to reception and ask for the room we booked. We get swapped to another room on the 5th floor which has more space and the sofa bed so this is probably what we booked. The room is clean and tidy but I guess again its typical European the bed is not queen sized as we know it, it is only a 1400mm double bed and not the 1600mm queen bed we are used to. The bathroom has no facecloths and only liquid soap at the basin and in the shower. Why don't European hotels provide facecloths to go with the towels and some proper soap to use in the shower as well as shampoo and conditioner? So it was a compromise - choices were if we'd stayed in the other room the bed space would have been bigger though each was a single but we would have had no living space, or take the room we booked and at least have a sofa to sit on.

We had a car and found the parking garage good - cost 19 euro/day.

The hotel seemed to be totally crowded and while the breakfast was generally good it was quite hectic getting a seat and then the breakfast.

The other big pain in the a... was the airconditioning and the bathroom venting. When we arrived the airconditioner was working on cooling. Then a day or so later it just stopped and would only work on heating. It was still warm inside and had not got that cold outside so we would have preferred to put it on cooling for a short time when we needed to and not have the hotel control whether we could or not.

The bathroom venting would work in the mornings but later in the day it was turned off by the hotel. The problem with this was that there are so many people smoke in Europe that the smoke would backflow into our toilet and bathroom and just stink our room out and without the aircon going we couldn't even circulate the air. Bathroom vents should be on all the time surely? This was the biggest negative about this hotel and they just seem to be trying to save a little bit of money for electricity to the detriment of customer service.

We put up with all the bad points and it was worth it all for the chance to visit Berlin and to be close to the city. If we visited again we probably look for a hotel with larger rooms.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GSM_HIEX_Berlin_CC, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Mapalewis,

Thank you for taking time to create a review about our hotel.

It is always a pleasure to have feedback from our guest.

I´m sorry that we could not provide you fully satisfactory.

Milford on Sea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights - 27th - 30th September in a " superior room". The room itself was very small. It had storage space and overlooked waste land..

Staying here was akin to staying in a cupboard which was difficult to get into - on each of the last 2 days we had to be issued with new keycards. Somehow details of the duration of our stay had been confused.

Features of the hotel included crowded lifts, a reception which because it doubled as the hotel's bar was mostly slow, very poor housekeeping - the tea and coffee making area was left uncleaned until we took the dirties away and a buffet breakfast experience which was unreliable and unpleasant. Breakfast experiences included - empty juice machines, juice machines without glasses (use a cup),,breadbaskets without bread. The staff were obviously stretched in trying to keep up but that was no excuse for pushing a trolley over my foot and not even stopping to say sorry.
The hotel is well located and for us that was it's only redeeming feature.

Room Tip: Just do not stay here
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mapalewis

Thank you for taking time to write a review.
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed there for the Berlim Marathon and think this hotel is very clean and well located. The only thing that could improve would be internet in the room, because it is available only at the lobby. The hotel provided for an early breakfast at Marathon morning, which was very good. The soap, which stays in a reservatory, ended during my stay and they didnt have a person to replace it so they gave me a bar soap, which was OK. I liked the service and recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear smelo_99 ,
Thank you for taking time to write a review about our hotel.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I booked two nights in a non-smoking room at this hotel and when I checked in I was put in a smoking room. Nobody mentioned this as I was checking and it was only as I got to my room and smelled how much the room stank of cigarette smoke that I realised what had happened. I returned to the front desk to ask to be moved to a non-smoking room and was informed that there were no non-smoking rooms available, although I had booked one.

The hotel was not particularly helpful with my complaint very they did agree to move me to a non-smoking room the following night. I contacted Holiday Inn Express to complain about the incident and I was informed that the manager of the hotel would contact me the next day to rectify the situation. Nobody contacted me. When I was checking out I was asked if my stay was to my satisfaction. I let the desk clerk know what had happened. He said he was sorry but he did not offer to do anything about it. Afterwards I followed up with Holiday Inn Express and the next day the manager of the hotel contacted me and refunded me my first night's stay (I'm sure my company will be very pleased!)

Beyond this incident, the hotel was basic but functional and the breakfast buffet was decent. However there are lots of very good hotels in this area and so I will not be staying at this hotel again on my next business trip to Berlin.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear spitze1982,
Thank you for taking time to write a review.
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We stayed here during the Berlin Marathon, as this was one of the least expensive options for marathon weekend! We were more than pleasantly surprised. The room was clean and comfortable. There was free wi-fi in the lobby, so you could sit at the bar and enjoy a drink while checking email from home. Breakfast was much better than expected with hot and cold options, more than we could ever want. We were very close to the metro as well as many restaurants and all major sites. I would definitely stay here again for a great value in Berlin! The only downside was that there is no wi-fi in the rooms, only a LAN cable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kels2003,
I thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Berlin.
We are very pleased that you liked our hotel and were pleased with the location and our value for money and with our staff.
I would really appreciate it if you would choose us again on your next stay in Berlin

Sandra Gürsch

Been to Holiday Inn Express Berlin City Centre? Share your experiences!