“A safe bet, we will be back here” 5 of 5 stars

Lux 11
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rosa-Luxemburg-Strasse 9-13, 10178 Berlin, Germany   |
Ranked #368 of 662 Hotels in Berlin
Rotterdam
“A safe bet, we will be back here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

The Lux 11 is a perfect stay right in the middle of cool urban hangouts in the Berlin Mitte area.
Together with a buddy of mine we did a serious nightlife tour through Berlin and needed a cool yet flexible hotel.
When you wake up at 12:00 and they still offer you breakfast you know that you are in the right place.
The staff is super friendly, relaxed and walk around in Adidas training suits.
I had a big room with a little kitchen in it (so I guess young families could stay here as well) and nice modern but warm interior.
The food was top notch and the bar looked straight out of a Star Trek movie but in a good way.
I travel a lot for my work and end up in hip posh hotels but they lack a certain freedom feel which I found here.
So yes it's a safe bet, and walking distance from the famous rooftop Weekend club!
Will be back
Joeri

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
dirkdreyer, Manager at Lux 11, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
This review made our day - thanks a lot !! See you soon again in Berlin !

Yours, Lux 11 Berlin-Mitte

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

We stayed luckily only for one night at the Lux 11 and were disappointed. I have to say that from the pictures we saw in the web we had very high expectations but then found the rooms to be old and very worn down (if not to say scruffy). I would not go back here even though the location is good.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
dirkdreyer, Manager at Lux 11, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you for your honest feedback. Lux 11 got renovated twice since your last stay - have a look on your next Berlin trip ! Kind regards

Yours,

Lux 11 Berlin-Mitte
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Having had a terrible experience here in the past so was very unhappy to find out that I was booked into the Lux 11 for a stay by a company I am consulting for in Berlin. In short, this hotel is still a bad place. The rooms are nice. It's the mean and dishonest management that is the problem here. In short, this hotel should be avoided at all costs.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
dirkdreyer, Manager at Lux 11, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you for your review. We are aware of the situation you had with the previous manager. Nevertheless we are happy that you like our rooms.

Yours,

Lux 11 Berlin-Mitte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011 via mobile

Due to the feedback given of Lux 11 on this site I wanted to cancel my booking with this and opt for the other design hotel in Berlin (Cosmo), but couldn't because it was 2 days before my arrival and would have been charged for my first night. This left me worried. So many times hotels have not lived up to the photos on their website and given the feedback on here I thought it would happen again. I'm glad to say it didn't.

Arrived at the hotel, a 2 minute walk from Alexanderplace metro, I was impressed with the bright exterior of the building. Inside was better. One downside was that our suite wasn't ready. We arrived at around 13:30 and was told the room wouldn't be ready til 15:00. So we left our bags and had a walk around. Returned at 15:00, still not ready, was told to come back at 16:00. Came back later, staff very apologetic and gave us 2 complimentary drinks at the bar for and showed us to our suite.
We booked the executive suite, it didn't dissapoint. Truly one of the nicest spaces in a hotel i've seen. So much space, high Walls, high windows, great standard of finish, bed very comfy and the bathtub/shower a few steps from the bed, nice touch for a romantic weekend.
Overall wonderful, would definately go back.
I can't say what the other rooms are like, but the executive suite was a delight.

• Stayed May 2011
Asolo, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

Lux 11 is part of the Design Hotels. When I watched the video on the website, I was really drawn to the place and booked a room immediately as my partner and I were going to Berlin for a Hotel conference.

I would however like to share with you some quotes that were shown on their marketing video which is on the Design Hotels website:

"In the end, everything depends on the people" (Quote by co-founder Elmo Hagendorf)

"It's a people's business" (Quote by co founder Tom Tanzer)

"We don't do hotels, we create concepts"

After my stay at Lux 11, I can say that out of the three above quotes, only one of them is true. In my opinion, this hotel is anything but a people's business. The service wasn't bad, it just isn't great. They pass the minimum satisfactory level, but in a luxury boutique hotel, one would expect much better. The blonde receptionist was cold as the temperature outside - 0 degrees. She was also quite defensive at times with no sense of humour

By the way, Lux 11 isn't a hotel. They market themselves as an apart/hotel but decide when it's best for them to be a hotel or apartments. Therefore, your expectations and then your experience of the place is somewhat confusing.

The bedrooms are very design-led. The shower is right next to the bed so you have a bit of a problem if your partner wakes up earlier than you to take a shower, because you have to switch on all the lights in the bedroom. I cannot deny however that the quality of all the furnishings were to a high quality.

So to the third quote "We don't do hotels, we create concepts". I completely agree, Lux 11 don't do hotels - they do apartments.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

We came at the recommendation of a friend who is pretty picky about his choice of chic hotels, therefore thought that i would be looking forward to an excellent stay. First of all, the location was ok, just next to Alexanderplatz which has the U-bahn and S-bahn main station; the restaurants were also pretty good, especially in the asian food section. The rooms were ok, spacious and clean overall.

What annoyed me was the service. There are only two ppl in service after evening time (one was friendly but the other one was pretty cold and unhelpful), and everytime i needed something they asked me go to the reception to get it myself. They charged me a 10euros deposit just for borrowing an ethernet cable and said that if i didnt' bring it back to the reception or left it in the room when i checked out, the 10 euros would be charged. Also, we noticed that the housekeeping didn't replace our shampoo and shower gel after a few days, and when we asked for it at the reception, they gave us some and told us that they weren't supposed to replace those normally. How ridiculous.

For the price we are paying, the service is pretty lousy. It isn't the best hotel we have stayed in and next time i come to berlin i would probably search for another one with warmer smiles.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Thessaloniki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

The hotel is just as described at their website. Our room was a corner room on the last floor, as I had requested. Early check-in was a piece of cake, and all of the receptionists were very polite and the service was really good. The truth is that personnel have a very good base...a really nicely decorated hotel, sunny spacious room, modern environment. The room had a small kitchen with a coffee-machine. This was really appreciated! Service was really what I would expect for a 4-star hotel. I've read in another review about the sportsclothes the receptionists wear. Well, as it seems this is rather subjective, but I really liked their outfit. It helped me feel more relaxed, instead of the standard "secretary" look receptionists usually have. Speaking of subjectiveness..Regarding the modern shower that is separated with a glass and mirror from the rest of the room. It is not a big deal really, even if you travel with friends, since there are so easy ways not to have view of the person in the shower, ...watching TV, lying in bed, surfing the internet from the desk, see the beautiful view from the windows..The heating system is another thing I really enjoyed. Not only the heater is modern, but the room was so warm and sleep was so resting. I can't say really how much I like everything about the room. Check-in, check-out process were fast and smooth. The location is so convenient, too. Drawbacks? Well, usually there are some. 1) Internet is not free, which is strange for our days and for the capital city of Germany, 2) the price is rather high for Berlin, since breakfast was not included in the 130euros/night for a "deluxe" type of room (this was a special disount offer, which means that rooms cost even more)-this is expensive for Berlin, I think. 3) Everythink in the mini bar is charged..to the pricey side...4) no room service after 23:00, 5) only half of the towels were replaced with clean (3-nights stay), and the used shampoo/shower gel was not replaced two days in a row (certainly we asked and we were given)! Besides the things I didn't like, which I consider minor, I would go back to this hotel, even if it was just to see the view from that sunny room.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Lux 11? Share your experiences!