“Very good Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #400 of 664 Hotels in Berlin
Dudley, United Kingdom
“Very good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

This lovely looking hotel is about 5km north of the centre of Berlin ,but dont let that put you off as the Tram line is 100 metres (we had to catch the M5 tram) from the entrance which in 15-20 mins takes you straight to the heart of Berlin also it stops at various other interesting places such as Alexanderplatz from where you can stroll down to the centre anyway.
The staff were very helpful in speaking english and providing English menus etc,,the bar and restaurant were very good , I thought the breakfast price was a little steep (9 euros) per person so what we did each morning was walk down to the local supermarket 3 mins walk which had a cafe inside and the 3 of us had breakfast and orange juice and coffee for 6 euros for the 3 of us not 6 euros each.
The rooms were a little small but we had a good price so cant moan too much,
all in all would go there again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

I ordered over the Internet and I was afraid to be disappointed, but instead I found an intimate hotel, with a pleasant and efficient staff. The receptionists are very familiar with tourist spots in Berlin.
The location of the hotel is not right in the center but the important destinations are a drive of about 20 minutes tram. From the other hand side, we got to enjoy the green parks around the hotel, and most importantly some good/quiet sleep. Perfect choise for vacationers and business men in Berlin. Highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2011
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

The hotel is excellent value for money, the staff were friendly and helpful.
The rooms were clean and pretty nice, decent décor and good sized bathroom.
The hotel is a little far out, about 20 mins on the tram, wasn't too much trouble as the trams are regular and the stop is only a minute away from the hotel.
I would recommend this hotel and stay here again, however if i had a bigger budget would consider somewhere nearer.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

I stayed at this hotel over a new years. The hotel is clean, but pretty far from city center. Although it's not such an inconvenient location because Berlin has trams, buses, trains (really fast and efficient public transportation). The hotel didn't provide much other than a clean bed and some heat from the cold weather. It provided breakfast for an extra fee, but we opted to eat elsewhere. I don't believe they had wi-fi. In the area of the hotel, there are some shops, supermarkets, etc. I would probably recommend a friend or family member who was visiting Berlin to check out a hotel closer to city center. Although, if they were securing a fabulously low rate for this hotel I would recommend it.

Overall, it's clean and a place to sleep. What more do you need? If you were looking to shack up in your room all day and night, I supposed you wouldn't be in Berlin but in a resort!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

I booked my trip a month ago and today, I emailed the hotel, as usual, to get the directions from the airport to hotel and for surprise, they are fully booked and transfered me to another hotel, where I should have a double room. I called the new hotel and instead of a double room, I have a single room. I am not very happy with that and for sure I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
tal_shogol, Manager at Hotel Alte Feuerwache, responded to this review, April 14, 2011
Dear Guest,

I am really sorry for the inconvenience and I can understand your anger (I have also had to move hotels a few times in my life, due to similar circumstances). Unfortunately, a situation of overbooking can happen due to several reasons which cannot always be predicted by the hotels e.g. water damage in which a few rooms would than be blocked for use.

Furthermore, it is also not in the hotel's interest to become overbooked, since the hotel has then to carry extra costs, time waste and above all have unsatisfied guests.

I hope you will accept my apology.

I wish you all the best

Tal Shogol
Director
nederland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

At first instance, an acceptable hotel, in a not very busy part of the town.
Not very close to the centre.
Not very clean in the chambers, stayed for 5 nights

Unfortunately i got conned by the hotel staff, I paid in cash but due to "circumstances" they where not able to print a receipt.
Not to big of a problem you would think.
BUT,.....

4 weeks later my creditcard gets allso charged for the total amount , because supposedly i left without paying !!
Hotel management very uncooperative and unfriendly
Very bad experience.

In Berlin there are plenty hotels, cheaper, cleaner, and closer the the centre

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
shogol, Empfangsleiter at Hotel Alte Feuerwache, responded to this review, January 27, 2010
with dismay that we read your opinion about our hotel. We are very sad that you have become so angry about our house. Please understand that we need to go at a financial loss caused to the bottom. The fact that these searches were unpleasant for you, we are very sorry. You´ve got your money back from us 100%, although the matter has not yet been fully clarified.
Kilrea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

I spent 4 nights at the hotel and would certainly recommend it. The hotel isn't in a central location but with Berlin's excellent public transport it is easy to get to. Get Tram M5 from Alexanderplatz to Freienwalder Strasse (approximately a 20 minute journey) and then a 2 minute walk down the street and you wil be at the hotel. If you arrive at Berlin Schoenefeld airport, the airport express train is a 20 minute or so journey to Alexanderplatz.

Our double room, which was of a reasonable size,was clean and indeed was cleaned each day. It contained a desk and a TV but no mini bar. The ensuite was also of sufficient size and clean. It had a shower but no bath.

Our room faced out onto the main street and thus there was some street noise from cars and trams but nothing too excessive

Breakfast was in the form of a buffet with a selection of cereals, fruit, cold meat, cheese, yogurts, juice, bread and tea or coffee. Scrambled and boiled eggs were also available each day. There is a restaurant in the hotel but we didn't use it. The hotel has a bar which was reasonably priced compared to some places in Berlin.

The staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful. We paid £48 per room per night including breakfast and this was very good value for Berlin. Obviously you have to pay for public transport between the hotel and the centre of the city. For this I would recommend a Berlin Welcome card which covers public transport. For a city the size of Berlin it is likely that you will need to make use of the public transport systems in order to see the sites. Thus we found the Berlin Card very useful and good value for money.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Alte Feuerwache? Share your experiences!