“Fix the bed's and I'll be back” 3 of 5 stars

Juncker's Hotel Garni
Grunberger Strasse 21, 10243 Berlin, Germany (Friedrichshain)   |
Ranked #352 of 663 hotels in Berlin
Hamar, Norway
“Fix the bed's and I'll be back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

I stayed at Junckers for four nights in july. It has a good location, clean rooms, friendly staff and a reasonable price. We didn't bother the breakfast - it costs 8 Euro extra. During the night there were some noice from the backyard and the surroundings. The bigges problem was the beds - they were just to hard and uncomfortable. If they just could fix the beds, I would choose Junckers again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
0Gudrun0, Manager at Juncker's Hotel Garni, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Hamar!
It´a lot time ago, since you were in our hotel in Berlin! unfortunately we have still hard beds, but we have 6 apartments in totally with new beds :-) ! perhaps you would like to visit us in the future again and try it in one of our apartments! that would be great!
Yours sincerely
Iratxe Erana

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. The room was comfortable, although the bathroom was across the hall, it was large and I had been advised of this before booking in. It is in the middle of Friedrichshain, close to the underground, trams and s-bahn. I found the staff hugely helpful and when I requested to leave one day earlier, they were extremely cooperative. This hotel has a really comfortable and safe "family owned" feel, which was very important for a solo female traveller.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Steiermark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

During a two-nights stay at Juncker's Hotel Garni I got the impression that this is a pretty normal three-stars hotel. The double room where I stayed as a solo traveller was rather small and even more so was the bath room. The rather unattractive furniture fulfilled its purpose and was in good condition. Couples may be dissatisfied by the two single beds instead of a double bed, whereas for me this was, of course, irrelevant. Although I like firm beds, even by my standards the bed in my room was much too rigid. What I appreciated, on the other hand, was the desk equipped with a decent lamp, which rendered working in the evening quite comfortable. There were a few minor shortcomings. First, when stretching out the legs under the desk the feet got entangled in the maze of cables lying on the floor. Second, there was nothing where I could put the soap and the shampoo in the shower.

Since my room (as most others of this hotel) was directed to the inner court, it was perfectly silent at night. In the morning I could even hear the birds twitter. This quietness may rather have had to do with the fact that the adjacent rooms were either empty or that the guests staying there produced virtually no noise than with the sound insulation of the building, because in the evening I could once hear a guest in a neighbouring room snoring.

In contrast to most hotels nowadays there is self-service only for coffee, tea and cereals, but no buffet breakfast. Instead, a plate with meat, cheese and some vegetables is served along with butter, jam, honey, different kinds of bread and a glass of orange juice. In addition, the staff offers freshly boiled eggs as well as yoghurt, and tries to fulfil any special withes. This is the characteristic of Juncker's Hotel Garni: Its owners and the staff are always helpful and friendly and try to make the stay as convenient as possible. This creates the hospitable atmosphere that is the hallmark of this hotel. As a drawback to be mentioned it is a bit pricey compared to other hotels of a similar standard.

It is situated in an area that is neither pretty not ugly but in between. According to some locals, safety would sometimes be an issue there. However, I did not experience any problem of that kind. A favourable feature of the area is the wide variety of bars and restaurants in particular in Simon-Dach-Strasse. Furthermore, this hotel is well suited for users of public transport due to the large number of connections available at the near U-Bahn and S-Bahn station Warschauer Strasse.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Cape Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

Lots of space in room and great bathrooms. Staff was helpfull and friendly. Coffee and tea through the day. Great location in Fredrichshain. This is a MUST to experience the former East Berlin.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

When we arrived, we found out that we were staying in a small apartment a few doors down for the actual hotel due to overbooking. It was not a problem at all because it was clean, safe and quiet.

The little apartment had two twin beds and a nice, clean bathroom. The price was just right - 70E per night.

The owner was very helpful answering all our questions and we were even able to purchase bus tickets at the front desk.

The hotel is very close to a U-bahn station and there is also a bus stop on the corner. There are a few bars and restaurants very close by.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Hedehusene
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

I was staying at Hotel Juncker's with all of my colleagues and we had a great staying. The staff was really nice to us, and helped us whenever we needed it. Good location near to a U-bahn station with connections to the big shopping- and culture places! I would recomment it to others! Its not luxury at all, but nice if you not are picky :D

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

I stayed here on business, and liked the hotel very much. My room was clean (I'm majorly into clean) and cozy, the nights were quiet and the bed was comfy (I'm also majorly into being able to sleep), and I felt quite safe (I'm also really into feeling safe in a hotel). The hotel has very good wireless connection. I'm not a German speaker, but that wasn't a problem at all at this hotel. I have really bad knees, so I was very happy and surprised that there was an elevator. I was fine with the tiny bathroom and not having a bathtub (just a shower). There's a lot of bars and restaurants all around. The breakfast at the hotel was good (not sure if they could accommodate vegetarians or non-pork eaters, as is the case with most hotels in Germany). I really liked how the hotel was decorated -- the walls weren't bare, but they weren't covered in dreadful "hotel art" either. I think this is a good hotel for short stays (less than a week), for tourists and for business folks. I'm not sure it would be a good hotel for families.

• Liked — Clean, cozy, safe and quiet
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Juncker's Hotel Garni? Share your experiences!