“Good location, very helpful staff, but wherei s my reservation?” 3 of 5 stars

Juncker's Hotel Garni
Grunberger Strasse 21, 10243 Berlin, Germany (Friedrichshain)   |
Ranked #317 of 663 Hotels in Berlin
Bedford
“Good location, very helpful staff, but wherei s my reservation?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

On arrival, they could find find no trace of my reservation, which could be their mistake or an error by Booking.com. With it being a weekend they could only only accomodate me for 1 of my 2 nights, but very quickly made arrangements for me elsewhere . I had not been in the room more than 5 minutes when reception called to say they had made arrangemed my second nights accomodation at Hotel 26 ( just accross the rodad-very nice & also reviewed ). It was more expensive, but Junckers would pay the difference. Excellent service!

Junckers is in a good location it a funky part of town with lots of good bars and places to eat. You are never far from the bus/train/tram in Berlin but buses stop right outside, trams stop at the end of the road and the U-Bahn is only a few minutes walk.

The hotel itself is OK for the price, but you don't get breakfast included. My room ( a single ) was on the small side, but had everything I was going to need. Bathroom, also on the small side, but everything worked and was very clean. Recepetion was quite modern and the breakfast/bar area behind was well kept, but other areas of the hotel looked a bit more old fashioned, but everywhere was clean and well kept. The real highlight here though are the staff who were always helpful.

All in all, I would stay at Junckers again if travelling alone. I would just double check direct with them they had my booking confirmed. If travelling with freinds/family/partner and wanted a bit more comfort, I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Warsaw
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

You get what you pay for. For some 25 euro per person in a single room, you should not expect luxury. Indeed, the part of the entire establishment I got accomodated in, was located in the backyard and called "pension", not the "hotel", which seemed more upgraded and cultivated. The room I was given was very small and basic (just a sink) with shared WC&bath facilities. It was something of a one star spot standard. Adequate for 25 euro, but obviously disappointing, if you would still have hoped to stay in a real hotel for that price.
The good thing about the hotel was an unlimited coffee and tee usage at the reception during the day (at least, that is was I was told). Another positive issue is its proximity to the Ostbahnhof train station, as well as to the U-Bahn line: 2 and 1 tram stops, respectively.
All in all, rather recommandable but for short stays, only when you don't need much more than just a bed to lay down at night.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I stayed here for two nights with my girlfriend. The place itself is pretty quaint, and just a couple minutes walk from some useful train stations. The room was pretty basic and clean. What impressed us most was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. For example, we found the room a little hot for our first night (there was some sort of heat wave in Berlin) and without much trouble we were able to get a nice fan for the second night.

If you're looking in this price range, definitely keep this place in mind.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

i stayed here with my mother and grandmother when visiting my sister who lives in berlin.
the hotel is a small one right in the heart of friedrichshain. it's very clean, they serve good breakfast and you get free coffee and tea at the lobby all day long.
the interior and furniture are a bit old or rather old fashioned but every thing is clean and comfortable. the staff is very friendly. there's a bus stop right in front of the hotel so it's easy to get there and go anywhere else.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Hamar, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

I stayed at Junckers for four nights in july. It has a good location, clean rooms, friendly staff and a reasonable price. We didn't bother the breakfast - it costs 8 Euro extra. During the night there were some noice from the backyard and the surroundings. The bigges problem was the beds - they were just to hard and uncomfortable. If they just could fix the beds, I would choose Junckers again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
0Gudrun0, Manager at Juncker's Hotel Garni, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Hamar!
It´a lot time ago, since you were in our hotel in Berlin! unfortunately we have still hard beds, but we have 6 apartments in totally with new beds :-) ! perhaps you would like to visit us in the future again and try it in one of our apartments! that would be great!
Yours sincerely
Iratxe Erana
Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. The room was comfortable, although the bathroom was across the hall, it was large and I had been advised of this before booking in. It is in the middle of Friedrichshain, close to the underground, trams and s-bahn. I found the staff hugely helpful and when I requested to leave one day earlier, they were extremely cooperative. This hotel has a really comfortable and safe "family owned" feel, which was very important for a solo female traveller.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Steiermark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

During a two-nights stay at Juncker's Hotel Garni I got the impression that this is a pretty normal three-stars hotel. The double room where I stayed as a solo traveller was rather small and even more so was the bath room. The rather unattractive furniture fulfilled its purpose and was in good condition. Couples may be dissatisfied by the two single beds instead of a double bed, whereas for me this was, of course, irrelevant. Although I like firm beds, even by my standards the bed in my room was much too rigid. What I appreciated, on the other hand, was the desk equipped with a decent lamp, which rendered working in the evening quite comfortable. There were a few minor shortcomings. First, when stretching out the legs under the desk the feet got entangled in the maze of cables lying on the floor. Second, there was nothing where I could put the soap and the shampoo in the shower.

Since my room (as most others of this hotel) was directed to the inner court, it was perfectly silent at night. In the morning I could even hear the birds twitter. This quietness may rather have had to do with the fact that the adjacent rooms were either empty or that the guests staying there produced virtually no noise than with the sound insulation of the building, because in the evening I could once hear a guest in a neighbouring room snoring.

In contrast to most hotels nowadays there is self-service only for coffee, tea and cereals, but no buffet breakfast. Instead, a plate with meat, cheese and some vegetables is served along with butter, jam, honey, different kinds of bread and a glass of orange juice. In addition, the staff offers freshly boiled eggs as well as yoghurt, and tries to fulfil any special withes. This is the characteristic of Juncker's Hotel Garni: Its owners and the staff are always helpful and friendly and try to make the stay as convenient as possible. This creates the hospitable atmosphere that is the hallmark of this hotel. As a drawback to be mentioned it is a bit pricey compared to other hotels of a similar standard.

It is situated in an area that is neither pretty not ugly but in between. According to some locals, safety would sometimes be an issue there. However, I did not experience any problem of that kind. A favourable feature of the area is the wide variety of bars and restaurants in particular in Simon-Dach-Strasse. Furthermore, this hotel is well suited for users of public transport due to the large number of connections available at the near U-Bahn and S-Bahn station Warschauer Strasse.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Been to Juncker's Hotel Garni? Share your experiences!