“Very good, but” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Tulip Berlin - Hotel Hamburg

Save Saved
You added Golden Tulip Berlin - Hotel Hamburg to your Saves list
Golden Tulip Berlin - Hotel Hamburg
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Landgrafenstrasse 4 | Tiergarten, 10787 Berlin, Germany (Mitte)   |
Ranked #126 of 664 hotels in Berlin
“Very good, but”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights on bed & breakfast basis. Booked a superior room which was one of the refurbished rooms. It was a decent size and very well set out. Room was well serviced every day. Breakfast was very good, buffet style with plenty of choice with a chef on hand to cook fresh omlettes etc. Don't expect too much banter from the reception staff, it's a bit 'yes sir, no sir, next please'.

Now the but. For the first time in over 40 years of travel a hotel fails to find me a room with a bath. The request was made at the time of booking a month prior to arrival. I find it unbelievable that a 4* hotel of this size was unable to accommodate such a request. When I asked at reception the lad quickly searched the computer and said 'No. It was only a wish' He then stated that I had requested a twin room to which I answered I would take a double room with a bath to which he said 'no' without even further checking his computer. Perhaps the germans need to understand the full meaning of a request or a wish. I got the feeling he wasn't interested in sorting out the problem. Perhaps it was because we had booked a cheap rate through Easyjet. I tried again the following morning when there were two different people on reception, again without success. As I suffer from an arthritic hip the inability to soak at the end of the afternoon did seriously affect my enjoyment. (Compare this to treatment received by Hotel Regina Madrid - see my review)

However if you do not require a bath this is a well situated hotel which is generally very good.

Room Tip: Go for superior room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

322 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Greek first
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed for long weekend and found hotel was faultless from the moment we arrived to the time we left. Room was one of the best ive stayed in Europe for some time with Tea and coffee making facilities, very large room with a sofa and a desk, the hotel food was of a good standard and the service was just as good. Reception staff were very helpful they sold us tickets for the hop on hop off bus with a collection at the hotel thrown in!

Room Tip: Ask for room 718 on the front
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I have often used the Tulip chain of hotels and in general they give good value for money.
I was however very unlucky that the (wired) internet in my room did not work.
It looks like the hotels in Germany in general has not recognized how important the internet is for a modern business man.
In the lobby area there are two laptops + one printer for common use.
The room I got was very very small, but the hotel has very nice reception and lobby area.
The restaurant is very good and in general the staff is friendly and helpfull.
The TV follow the German style with only one Chanel in English.
I can recommend this hotel as a budget business hotel, provided you get a room with a functioning Internet.

Room Tip: be sure to ask for a guarantee that the wired internet works in the room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Food: Excellent breakfast opions; we also ate in the resturant on one evening and the food was again excellent.
Staff: Friendly and helpful.
Room: Extremely small - so small that we kept tripping over each other! This ruined our holiday as we couldn't get dressed without being in each others' way. This obviously killed the romance a little...
Bathroom: Very clean and modern.
Location: further away from the attractions than we thought, although the underground is typically efficient. Also removed from any decent choice of bars and restaurants.

Overall: A business-trip hotel; not for tourists!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Stayed here when I was in Berlin. Didn't expect to get such a cool hotel for so cheap. Just a tip: when I stayed, they were renovating the hotel. I specifically asked for a recently renovated room and I was give one. It was so cool for the price. So make sure you stay in a newly renovated room.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Stayed here with two other members of my family. Our two rooms (one single, one double) were comfortable and clean. Staff were extremely helpful at all times. The first evening we used the hotel bar where we entertained some of our German family members. We had good service from the staff on duty. A wonderful breakfast was available each morning, The variety and quality was such, that it would be be difficult to find fault. It.'s central but quiet location is within easy reach of places of interest. Our first stay in Berlin, and we would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Our first floor rooms overlooked the front of the hotel, but it's a lovely quiet street, with be...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Copenhagen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

During a stay at this hotel we received an extremely poor attitude from a quite corpulent man among the reception staff. The staff at the restaurant, the bar and the reservation department were quite friendly and service minded though.

This is what happened: When returning to our hotel room we discovered a heavy smell of tobacco smoke in our non-smoking room. Due to the fact that we both have asthma I immediately went downstairs to the reception to ask if we could change room?

I came across a quite corpulent man among the reception staff. I explained the situation and the reply that I was given was: "Is it REEEEEALLY that bad??". I did not believe my ears! When I insisted that we were given another room the quite corpulent man gave me a heavy sigh and then handed over a new room key and just looked at me, as if I were a total idiot.

The man did not even ask if we needed any assistance when changing room. We have never ever been so unkindly treated at any hotel before! Never ever will we choose the Golden Tulip Berlin Hotel Hamburg again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Golden Tulip Berlin - Hotel Hamburg? Share your experiences!