“Brilliant - just what we wanted.” 5 of 5 stars

€ 40 Hotel Credit & More
Ranked #16 of 664 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Brilliant - just what we wanted.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Initially I thought the location was a bit bland and concrete and the facade not that inspiring. However, scrap that. The area is brilliant. Near the Tiergarten and Brandenburg Gate plus many other sites. The hotel was a complete bargain and I did check to ensure that the price I paid for flights and hotel wasn't just for the hotel. Barrack Obama had stayed there a few days prior to our visit so cant be bad. Our room was enormous and, despite being on a smoking floor (we said we didn't mind as we didn't want to wait for the other rooms to be prepared) we couldn't smell smoke at all. Staff were all super efficient and friendly. On our last night (we were only away for 2 nights) we asked for a recommendation for a good last dinner and he recommended Grill Royal which was perfect. Apparently Sunday night is the only night you can get in at short notice. We walked everywhere and there is a lot of walking to be done as the differing sectors can feel quite far apart. Coming back to the hotel after a day of walking felt like coming back to a haven of calm and relaxation before getting ready for dinner. We had looked at hotels near Alexanderplatz but having wandered around there it seemed a bit run down in comparison to Potsdamerplatz. Bikes everywhere which is great - bike taxis, rickshaws, round bicycles for about 4 people and, best of all, a beer bicycle (approx 6-8 people sitting on bike seats round a bar on wheels and they all pedal along whilst drinking their beer. I think the barmaid in the middle actually does the driving but it looked fun. As did the stag party who had hired a yellow school bus to take them around town. Great weekend, lovely people, lovely food and lovely hotel. Gay pride was on the day we arrived and that was the liveliest we saw the place so perhaps we were missing something, but we really enjoyed our trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Krefeld, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was "only" invited to a one day seminar event within the Ritz, so I can't say anything about the private rooms, but the remaining part of the hotel was astonishing :
classical silver coffee machines, nice carpets , luxurious lamps (even in rooms that you would normally denote as a "lumber-room") and great service (e.g. : you are immediately offered help with your luggage when you enter the hotel).
some words to the attached photos:
For one hour a day professional music was played on the piano. Leaving after 4 p.m. , the guard with the red suit was standing in front of the hotel (e.g. for family photos).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed here with my family during a brief visit to Berlin. My son is very interested in the local history and there are some wonderful places to visit. The underground tours are fantastic as is the Berlin Wall Memorial.

We stayed in a suite with a connecting room. The staff was extremely helpful making sure that they arranged for our family to stay together. The only major hiccup was that the suite had an overpowering smell from someone who must have smoked heavily. The staff went out of their way to get rid of the smell. I think they went into the room at least three or four time during out visit. They also offered us other rooms, but didn't have anything quite as nice so we ended up dealing with the smell. We did appreciate their efforts however.

Obama was scheduled to arrive the day we were scheduled to leave. The staff made a point of informing us about the security measures they would have to impose, and provided us with options to minimize the impact. We were thrilled to depart before the Obamas arrived. By that point the hotel was crawling with security people.

The concierge was extremely helpful and recommended a restaurant we never would have considered and helped us arrange for a bit of site seeing.

The exercise room is excellent and opened 24 hours.

I have stayed at the Ritz Berlin on business trips a few times. At this point I don't look elsewhere.

Berlin is a wonderful city that is definitely worth visiting. It is very touristy around the hotel. Therefore if you want to see the more traditional side of Berlin I recommend heading away from the hotel.

Room Tip: I enjoy the views out over the Potsdamer Platz.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This erzatz hommage to an uninspired interior designers view of a posh old school hotel isn't so bad. Service is uniformly good from a well trained international team. You'll need sunglasses to handle the gold leaf and brocade that adorns every spare square inch, and the pool is tiny (but there is a pool) . Breakfast is stand out good, huge choice and really worth going to if its in your room rate. The bar is fine. Bedrooms are large, well equipped and comfortable, with lots of faux antiques and wood. Bathrooms are large, with good showers and jacuzzi baths. Like most Berlin hotels it offers really good value compared to other European cities, but it lacks character and authenticity .. for that you need to go to the Adlon. It is very close to where I work in Berlin, so that clinches it for me as a business choice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Normally I wouldn't bring six family members to the Ritz for a four day stay at the ritz. But the pricing for two rooms with lounge privelages, was, I believe, an exceptional value. Beautiful , relatively new hotel in an excellent location, across from the Sony Center. The staff was EXCELLENT and extremely helpful. In my opinion, the Ritz is making a move on my love of the four seasons!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

The hotel has been beautifully renovated, but that's it. The service level has suffered a hit on few areas. I had the worst massage in my life and I do not know how the hotel has cuts the provide such service. It was not an incident as my family member had as bad experience as me. My suggestion would be: do not do massages unless they follow same great concept as many US properties for example follow. They train and demand a lot from their therapist in the US. This cannot be European thing either as the Spa in Vienna was great. Locker rooms at the spa were so outdated based on amenities and space and did not demonstrate the Ritz Carlton to me. Also, the saunas had no air ventilation, so they became extremely hot.

Club lounge presentation level is lower than poor and they serve old food and also same food in different times a day. They have no imagination or style in their way of preparing the food. They also bring out so little food that everything is messy and empty all the time. They had very limited warm options available. Alcohol is still on the menu, so ones who like that, do not be worried.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed here over a weekend in May. Location is great as it is walking distance to many sights and attractions - and at the same time, the convenience of the S and U Bahn stations a few steps away from the front door. There are several restaurants and bars in the immediate area, including the reliably good pasta and pizza at Vapiano.

The doormen were all great - accommodating, helpful and very friendly. Front desk staff were good. The concierge staff seems perpetually busy, but if they find time, they are very helpful. I had an incident with waiting for a concierge staff and they apologized profusely for the wait. As much as I appreciate the apology, service level in this department might need some re-visiting by the GM.

The decor of the hotel and the rooms is traditional. It would help if the rooms are carefully inspected before turnover (e.g. one of the drawers did not function properly).

This is my first stay at a Ritz Carlton and I was expecting the same service level of a Four Seasons. I was only but disappointed. Better to adjust your expectations and your stay will be more pleasant. It is in the small details - wifi inclusive in room rate (mine was), not seeing the housekeeping trolley, turn-down service, staff recognizing you (and acknowledging your name)., etc. Once you have a different set of expectations, then this hotel will deliver.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Berlin? Share your experiences!