“Fabulous - Just What I Was Looking For” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lokal

Lokal
Linienstrasse 160, 10115 Berlin, Germany (Mitte)
(30) 28449500
Update restaurant details
Ranked #12 of 5,492 restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Mitte
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fabulous - Just What I Was Looking For”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I was with a colleague and we were looking for a dinner spot in Berlin, so I pulled up Tripadvisor and found Lokal about a ten minute walk from where we were enjoying a beer near the train station. We walked into the restaurant and every table was taken so we sat at the bar. Wow!

It was a perfect evening -- the bartender was very friendly and made great suggestions. I had asparagus soup, a salad with goat cheese, and the lamb, and every bite was fantastic. Everything was very fresh. The goat cheese was very tasty (I wonder if the goats were being raised behind the restaurant). The asparagus soup has a basil oil (I think) on top and small very crisp croutons. The different textures and tastes blended perfectly.

I won't go into more detail other than to say the place was comfortable and unpretentious, and the owners and employees are long time friends, so dining at Lokal feels like you are with family, in the best way possible.

I went back a couple of nights later and enjoyed the same great experience.

93% Recommend
USA
“Beautiful location, OK dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Just went to Lokal on Friday night with friends visiting from out of town per their request. The neighborhood and atmosphere of Lokal are both gorgeous. The interior is very minimal, simple but with nice lighting. It couldn't be more inviting. Our waiter was equally lovely and attentive.

The food was a bit more hit & miss unfortunately. My husband had a great cream of cauliflower soup. (I mean REALLY great.) My salad was just a bowl of mixed greens with a bit too much dressing & nothing else. Fine but boring. As a main dish, I got a chicken dish stuffed with walnuts & cheese - tasty but not extraordinary. It was paired with some extremely bitter cabbage and rock-hard parsnips. I didn't understand how it was supposed to tie together. My husband had their homemade noodles, which were good but if you think of it as "pasta," I think you'd be disappointed. They're more like the fat, thick noodles my grandmother would make for chicken soup. Good but think more "German noodle" and less "Italian pasta." Dessert redeemed itself with a really amazing cheesecake with berries. We also had some good German Rieslings.

Overall, great atmosphere. I'd go back for a glass of wine or a snack but I'd be reluctant to go for a full dinner again.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
california
“Wonderful food, friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We loved our meal here. Fresh, delicious, creative. Good wine list, helpful and patient waiter who translated and explained the menu. Everyone was friendly, the atmosphere relaxed. Do make a reservation. We ate at 7:30 and by 9 there were folks waiting (happily) in the street! BIG portions!

London
“Interesting place with lovely staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Booked for Sunday night as like many Central European cities, Sunday nights are surprisingly quiet with many places not opening.

The decor is pared down and simple.

The lady who served us was just wonderful - so charming and helpful. The menus are only in German and she translated with great patience. She offered for us to taste the wine before we bought - and everything is availible by the glass here - with some great German/Austrian choices to be had.

The food is inventive and delicious.

Good value too. Would go back.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Antwerp, Belgium
“A perfect sunday night.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Many of the restaurants in Berlin are closed on sunday. Not Lokal.
We made a late reservation at 6 for 7PM and were lucky to get a table.
The staff is friendly, the food inspired. Add a stylish contempory setting and you know already after you entered that you'll have a good time.
The Taube, pigeon, was the best I had in years. Also the steak with spinach and home made nudeln was generous and star level. The cheese cake with strawberry was a perfect finish.
The acoustics can get a bit loud once the restaurant is full, but this is the only minus.
Conclusion: Very good value and highly recommended!

• Visited May 2013