“This art gallery is amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kulturforum

Kulturforum
Matthaikirchpl. 6, Berlin, Germany (Mitte)
030-2090-5555
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #77 of 405 Attractions in Berlin
Type: Museums, Cultural
Northwest
37 attraction reviews
“This art gallery is amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This collection of Old Master paintings must be one of the best in the world. From 1200 to 1800 the sheer number of important paintings is breathtaking. All the great painters are represented and the layout is one of the most sensible I have ever experienced. The building was specially designed to house the collection and, while it is possible to feel overwhelmed by the sheer numbers, the guide booklet makes sense of what is where. I find that I go into each room and just allow my gaze to settle on one painting that I want to study in depth. In this way I don't get mental indigestion and usually seem to choose artists whose names I recognize. It is a good game: I have even written down and researched some names I haven't recognised and so have extended my knowledge. This is certainly the most comprehensive collection I have ever visited: it is wonderful.

Visited August 2012

Seattle, Washington
3 attraction reviews
“Interesting but a little disjointed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

The Kunstgewerbemuseum displays arts from all post-classical periods of art history (gold, silver, glass, porcelain, furniture and large tapestries). The so-called "New Collection" is arts and crafts of the twentieth century (furniture by Eames, Knoll, Kartell). You can get turned around and confused on how to get out of the exhibits, be patient or ask for "Information" (you'll see your escape).

Visited December 2011