“A traditional Brauhaus experience just a short ride from Berlin” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A traditional Brauhaus experience just a short ride from Berlin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Spandau is on the outskirts of Berlin and I (like many others) was attracted by the promise of an old town and citadelle. These elements were a little bit of a disappointment but one that was quickly drowned in some micro-brewed beer and pork ribs!

Brauhaus Spandau is every bit the picture I had in my head for what I wanted from a traditional German eatery - litre beers brewed from big copper barrels on site, high tables, large plates laden with course cut meat and burly waiters with warm smiles.

It felt both better value and more genuine than central Berlin and for that alone I would recommend an evening adventure to Spandau as this is just over the road from the U-Bahn.

• Visited May 2013

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

My second visit to this place and yet against didn't disappoint. The beer is excellent and the Golash was the best I've ever tasted. we travelled by U bahn from Berlin city to the Olympic stadium, did the tour, then got the s bahn to Spandau. We then jumped on another u bahn to the Alstadt. The brewery is a five minute walk. Go there

Cincinnati, Ohio
“A warm haven for beer and bar food (PS I love currywurst)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Brahaus came recommended to us from coworkers that live in the Spandau/Tegel Airport part of the city. I'm glad we received their tip on this restaurant/brew house as I was very satisfied with my meal and drink there.

Overall, the ambience was very warm and inviting. You can easily sustain a conversation without being drowned up by noise and or incessant background music. The beer selection was something of a moot point for my coworker and I as we loved the Weizenbier and we stopped at 4 each only because we had plans the next morning. Unfortunately our fondness for that brew cost an opportunity to sample their other offerings, as we stuck with that type all evening. The XXL currywurst dish I ordered was fantastic. Call it dessert if you will, but I always crave pretzels when in germany, so I ordered a few pretzels after the Currywurst. The waitress said not to expect giant pretzels (a la Oktoberfest or beer halls in Munich). Still, the pretzels were excellent and they came out to us warm and yet soft.

An english menu was available which was helpful, but not essential for putting together a currywurst and beer order. Our server was very friendly and more than happy to speak to us in english which was a nice touch and convenience that we very much appreciated.

Overall, I would definitely return to this venue, not only because the food and drink was satisfying, but because the atmosphere was very warm and hospitable. Other patrons were doing the same; enjoying unrushed meals over the excellent home made beers.

We took the U-bahn to Aldstadt Spandau. Provided one exits the station at the exit that is "furthest" from the exit nearest the Rathaus, I would say the walk was all of 3 minutes to reach the restaurant. I say this because I hadn't mapped out the restaurant in advance and I did take the U-bahn exit that was closer to the Rathaus/Markt and I had to ask in some shops for directions to the Brauhaus.

This was my first time in Spandau and even if I were a guest in the city/downtown/mitte, I would venture the few stops down the underground to sample a bit more suburban berlin and a great eatery too.

• Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Nice traditional brewery.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Have visited a few of these great traditional places across Germany and this is no exception. Located next to the old Citadel and was a welcome rest point after walking around there. We took advantage of their currywurst with some lovely fresh beer. Impressive and cosy place to visit. If in the area this is a must.

• Visited February 2013
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent Currywürst and homebrewed beers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Very German pub with a couple of great beers and excellent food. Highly recommended. You have to try the Currywürst!

• Visited January 2013