“Not the best location, but very nice otherwise” 4 of 5 stars

Wyndham Grand Berlin Potsdamer Platz
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Hallesche Str 10-14, 10963 Berlin, Germany (Kreuzberg)   |
Ranked #48 of 663 Hotels in Berlin
Helsinki, Finland
“Not the best location, but very nice otherwise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Clean, beautiful, quite spacious rooms and friendly service. Location is not the best; you need to use U-bah or S-bahn to reach Prenzlauerberg and Mitte, which are the nicest areas. It takes about 30-45 minutes to get there from the hotel, and little bit less to Alexanderplatz. U-bahn station called Möckernbrucke is the nearest station when going east and north, with S-bahn (train) it takes little bit more time. I would love to go back to Wyndham grand Berlin Potsdamer Platz, if it wasn't that far away from centrum.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGrandBerlinPP, Manager at Wyndham Grand Berlin Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Miss Elli,

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us!

I hope that even though the location was not ideal for you, you enjoyed the time at our House.

As Berlin is such a big city, there are always places that are closer or farther away. There are actually several attractions in walking distance from our House, which you hopefully explored, too.

We would be pleased to welcome you back in the future!

Holger König

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

The hotel is quite new (2013), with very clean and comfortable rooms. For the price we paid on 2013 new year holidays (about 90 eur per night a double room) I think it's worth it.
It's quite well located: 15 minutes walk from Potsdamer platz, 5 minutes walk to the nearest U-bahn station (Mockernbruke, or something similar).
Did not try the breakfast, and for those of you not wanting to spend about 15 eur or more on it, there is a place where you can have a croissant or some other kind of pastry and a coffee for less than 5 eur, very close to the hotel: it's in the street just above the hotel. In that same street there is a quite nice italian restaurant: Diomira. Nice cheap pizzas.
Absolutely recommended!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGrandBerlinPP, Manager at Wyndham Grand Berlin Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear amarrako,

I greatly appreciate your kind review and hope that you spent wonderful New Year's holidays in Berlin and at the Wyndham Grand Berlin Potsdamer Platz.

Thank you also for your recommendations which we were happy to hear.

We would be pleased to welcome you back as our guests in the not so distant future.

Twickenham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Having researched the hotel and its location, I was aware that the hotel name was a tad misleading. The hotel is about a 6 minute walk from the S-bahn station Anhalter Bahnhof and a good 10 mins from Potsdamer Platz. This, however, did not detract from the experience and it was actually no bad thing for me not being directly in the massive tourist spot of Potsdamer Platz. The hotel is opposite the event centre 'Tempodrom' but this caused no problem even for my room, which overlooked this.
The welcome upon arrival was friendly and efficient although the reception area was a little cavernous, cold and empty. I was disappointed to discover that Internet was not complimentary and cost €11 per day but the connection speed was good and I have had worse for more money. The room was of an average size with all mod cons including a large chair for relaxing, tea/coffee making facilities, enough hanging and storage space, small desk and 'office' chair, plenty of power points, comfortable bed with quality linen, room safe, small mini bar and a fair sized bathroom with power/rain shower, toiletries and space for one's own personal possessions.
Room was well insulated against both outside noise and other guest rooms and I slept well on both nights.
Whilst I did not eat in the hotel (breakfast is never worth it for me and I enjoy eating out when in Berlin), I did make use of the hotel's fitness room in the basement and found it adequate for my needs with cross-trainers, bikes and weight machine. There is also a nice sauna and spa area but I did not use these.
Minor quibbles for me during the stay were
English TV channels weren't working and despite reporting this the first night, the problem had not been fixed by my departure 2 days later
Laminate flooring in room (I prefer carpet but appreciate this is a personal preference)
Hotel shampoo was not replaced after first night - I left about 1/3 of the bottle and had to make do with this on the 2nd morning (I did not report this though)
Room safe malfunctioned and needed to be opened by staff. I didn't trust it again!
Mini bar prices were not value for money (same in most higher chain hotels though!)

Check out experience was also friendly and efficient.

On the whole a pleasant stay in an attractive hotel for a fair price.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

WyndhamGrandBerlinPP, Manager at Wyndham Grand Berlin Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Mr. P.,

Thank you so much for your detailed review which you kindly shared with us on Tripadvisor.com!

First of all I want to tell you that I greatly appreciate your compliments and I am glad that you felt comfortable and valued our central, but quiet location. I hope that you had the chance to see a lot of Berlin.

I regret that you had technical problems with your TV. My colleagues in the Engineering Department will take care of it.

It has been a pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope that we will welcome you back soon.

Kind regards from Berlin

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Great hotel in a good location to explore the city on foot or by U bahn.

Friendly reception staff especially Sandra who helped us connect with KLM as our case did not arrive until the next day.

Room was fab with amazing tv with good choice of English channels and a city guide as well.
Room had a safe with tea and coffee facilities and a nice view of some apartment blocks that had blue sky sort of mural on them. You could also see the East German tower.

Bathroom was spacious, with an amazing 3 showers and bath. The rain shower was brilliant. Good selection of toiletries.

Breakfast was exceptional. Excellent selection of hot and cold food. Fine selection of drinks.
This is a fabulous modern, new hotel that used to be a former Post office. Definitely recommend staying here and will be agin for sure!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGrandBerlinPP, Manager at Wyndham Grand Berlin Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Ms. staremesto7,

It was such a pleasure to read your review full of compliments!

My team and I are more than happy that you enjoyed your stay and we would like to thank you for your recommendation.

I will certainly forward your special thanks to Sandra who will appreciate them as much as we all do.

Thank you again for being our guests and hopefully we will welcome you back in the not so distant future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

I arrived on a freezing Winter's night for a 4 night stay. The staff were very helpful, professional and curious.

My Superior Room (which was a twin), located on the 3rd floor was big with plenty of space. The beds can be separated for individual space.
The bathroom was BIG, with a large separate shower with a huge rainfall shower head and handheld hose as well. No bath though, but I didn't mind. The food was definitely worth it.

There were only two downfalls I can think of. Firstly, the € 11 EUR per day was too much. It should be included in the price of the room (or for a smaller fee of maybe € 5 EUR). However, the speed and signal was very good. The second point is the € 5 EUR fee charged every time an order is placed. This fee should be charged once per stay. I believe these practices are common place amongst other 4-Star hotels.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
WyndhamGrandBerlinPP, Manager at Wyndham Grand Berlin Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Mr. sleepyhead2028,

First of all, I want to thank you for reviewing our House and for giving us such a wonderful feedback.

With regards to the internet fee, I understand your concerns and we know that the pressure is high to take steps. We are working on a satisfactory solution for our guests and us.

We hope that your travels will bring you back to Berlin, so that we can soon welcome you back as our guest.

Warm regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

This was a very good experience. My rooms was comfortable and clean. The service was excellent as well as the breakfast. The location of this hotel is huge, 5 minutes from the Potsdamer Plaz center. I recommend very much.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGrandBerlinPP, Manager at Wyndham Grand Berlin Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Mr. W.,

I was pleased to read your gratifying review full of praising words and I appreciate very much that you recommend us!

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the not so distant future.

Holger König

Been to Wyndham Grand Berlin Potsdamer Platz? Share your experiences!