“Good value but very remote” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Berlin - Potsdamer Platz

You added Crowne Plaza Berlin - Potsdamer Platz to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Berlin - Potsdamer Platz
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Hallesche Str 10-14, 10963 Berlin, Germany (Formerly Wyndham Grand Berlin Potsdamer Platz) (Kreuzberg)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #50 of 665 Hotels in Berlin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Southampton
“Good value but very remote”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

The hotel was very clean and comfortable but the bed was quite hard in our deluxe room. It’s in a remote location and it’s not very close to any shops, bars or restaurants so it took us about 10 minutes to walk to Potsdamer Platz. It was also about a 10-minute walk to Checkpoint Charlie. The Breakfast was good and the hotel staff were very friendly. Free WiFi was only available in the reception area. Overall the hotel was good value but if we go to Berlin again we would probably stay somewhere nearer to the centre of Berlin.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGrandBerlinPP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Berlin - Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Mr. cmwicks9,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay in our hotel.

We are happy about your words of praise and I will forward your kind comments to my team.

Unfortunately, you were not convinced by our location. We hope that we will still welcome you as our guests again in the future.

Holger König

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Recently stayed here for 4 night break in December. Staff very courteous and helpful with all requests. The room was very nice and great value. Great location, within 10 mins walking distance of Potsdamer Platz and 30 mins from other main attractions like Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag. Not much atmosphere in hotel bar the night we had a drink there but didn't really spend much time there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Andrew L,

Thank you very much for posting your review on Tripadvisor.com.

I am glad that you enjoyed the time in Berlin and in our hotel.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards,

Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Although not that close to Potsdamer Platz (but within walking distance) the hotel is in a very nice neighborhood close to two different transit stations. Staff is very friendly, rooms are really nice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
WyndhamGrandBerlinPP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Berlin - Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Mr. Dicksan,

First of all, I would like to wish you a Happy New Year!

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel on Tripadvisor.com.

It was a pleasure to read your comments and my team and I look forward to welcoming you again.

Warm regards from Berlin,

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We stopped in Berlin on a layover and booked into the Wyndham Grand near the Potsdamer Platz. The hotel was well worth the money we paid, but the atmosphere, for my taste, was a bit austere. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Best of all it is located within walking distance of some of the major attractions of the Cold War reality of a divided Berlin. We saw remnants of the wall, Checkpoint Charlie, the Brandenburg gate and the Reichstag, all in close proximity to each other. They are a 5 minute cab ride and a half hour walk from the hotel. This is a good location for a quick trip to Berlin

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
WyndhamGrandBerlinPP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Berlin - Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Ms. MargaretL377,

I would like to thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor.com.

It has been a pleasure to read about your stay and it seems as if you have seen a lot of our great city.

I hope that you will be back in the future and we would be happy to welcome you again in our premises.

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

This hotel is one stop to Potsdamer Platz and the Sony Center. There is an underground about one block from the hotel. As we walked from the station, it was a little scary because there was a lot of debris around on the walk from the station. There were broken bottles and even a tank shirt and underwear on the side walk on the side from the hotel. This was near a park area. We stayed three nights, and on the third day, the area had been cleaned. There was graffiti on the block of the building. However, there is a lot of graffiti in Berlin. The walk to the hotel from the station, there was a building near or next to it that appeared to be vacant. I found a great deal on one of the internet booking sites for the Wyndham, and I told my German friend, I did not know what had I gotten us into. But when we turned the corner, we saw an elegant hotel. The lobby was spacious and the staff was friendly. The room was clean and spacious. The bathroom had a separate shower next to it and a nice bathing tub. We explored the Christmas markets, and saw two movies at the Sony Center. We had previously stayed at the Mandala Hotel across from the Sony Center, but found the Wyndham Grand Berlin Potsdamer Platz a better value and experience.
We bought day transit tickets. When we returned to the room, we were both exhausted, and I decided to take a hot bath to relaxed, because of the long day.
The only suggestion I have would be to have at least one more grab bar near the bathtub. I had a hard time getting out, and I either cracked or severely bruised my right rib area, as a result. My friend had to assist getting me out of the tub. I am 59 years of age, but I am mobile. I just think that another grab bar around the tub would be helpful, because the population is aging. I would recommend to older guests that they do not take a bath, but to just use the shower. The shower is great in itself, and the bathroom and the room is well designed. I would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear DRJINX,

I hope that you had a very merry Christmas! Thank you for your review that you were so kind to share with us on Tripadvisor.com.

I enjoyed reading your comments very much and I am happy that you had overall a pleasant stay.

Usually the surroundings of the hotel are clean, so I regret very much that you were a little disappointed the first time you approached our hotel.

Moreover, I appreciate very much your suggestion regarding the grab bar, which we will definitely note. I am very sorry that you hurt yourself.

Dear DRJINX, we hope that your travels will bring you back to Berlin and to the Wyndham Grand Berlin Potsdamer Platz.

Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Good hotel. Not very near to Potsdamer plz but conveniently located. I was given a large quiet room. Very comfortable bed. Breakfast is very good. The hotel building itself is gorgeous if you like fascist architecture and the public areas are charming.

On the down side, no free internet in the rooms and a strange but not unpleasant smell coming from the bathroom.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear GRTR1,

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel on Tripadvisor.com.

I am glad that you liked the architecture of our hotel, which used to be a former Post Palais.

I hope that you spent enjoyable days in Berlin and it would be our pleasure to welcome you again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Had a wonderful couple of nights at the Wyndham Grand. Dec 3- 5th 2013. Booked the flights and hotel off Expedia such super value. The hotel is modern and super clean. The room we had was excellent, large walk in shower great bed and a nice view over the modern concert hall opposite. Reception area has plenty of sofas to sit and relax on , our daughters were made welcome whilst waiting for us to come down from our room, .The staff are friendly and speak super English- a great help for us with no German skills. Good quality breakfast with a huge variety to choose from. The first morning had smoked salmon, I decided I would have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs the second day but no salmon on show. The chef on duty went straight to the kitchen and freshly carved some of the nicest salmon I have had. He brought it to my table complete with garnish and a little horseradish sauce. Nothing was too much trouble for him.
All in all a great hotel which does justice to the staff who work there who make you feel really welcome.
If all the Wyndham chain are as nice as this and the same value I will be booking them when ever I travel to a city which has one.
Also as mentioned, ideally situated for transport links around the city, S bahn nearest hotel wasn't working but good bus service in place to get you to the stations which are being repaired.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGrandBerlinPP, Manager at Crowne Plaza Berlin - Potsdamer Platz, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Mr. Evan E,

Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to tell us about your stay.

I enjoyed very much reading your detailed and positive review and it will be my pleasure to forward your compliments to my team, especially to my colleagues in the Restaurant.

Dear Mr. Evan E, I hope that you and your family spent enjoyable days in Berlin and in our hotel and we hope that you will visit us again in the not so distant future.

Kind regards,

Holger König

Been to Crowne Plaza Berlin - Potsdamer Platz? Share your experiences!