“Wonderful property; brilliant position; perhaps tries a little 'too' hard with food & beverage” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Swissotel Berlin

Save Saved
You added Swissotel Berlin to your Saves list
Swissotel Berlin
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Augsburger Strasse 44 | Am Kurfürstendamm, 10789 Berlin, Germany   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% off Summer Saver
Ranked #22 of 664 hotels in Berlin
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed in this hotel, for the second time, in December 2012 for 2 weeks. It was like coming home in that the property is immaculate, the staff are efficient and friendly and it all just 'works'.

The rooms are perhaps a little small, but they are very well appointed with what well-looked after linens, towels and so on. I particularly like the fact that the bathroom has a separate shower and is not a 'shower in the bath'.

The position of the property - on the Ku'Damm and close to the Zoologischer Garten station is brilliant for shopping and access to the eastern part of the city.

My only gripe is that the food and beverage at the hotel tends to be a little pretentious, almost as if the kitchen is trying too hard. It would be a nice touch to be able to obtain 'plain' food from the on-site restaurants and room service on occasion.

I adore this hotel and will most certainly be back.

Room Tip: Beware of rooms overlooking the Ku'Damm as they can be noisy despite double glazing
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

1,657 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed here for one night with a friend before travelling to Eastern Germany and staying in a hostel for New Year's Eve. The location of the Swissotel is brilliant, near shops, restaurants and bars, and is far nicer than Eastern Berlin where I went next. I emailed ahead and asked for a room with twin beds, which we got. The room was on the 6th floor overlooking the courtyard and was quiet so we had a good nights sleep. We requested the turndown service while we were out for dinner which was nice to come back to, including a card with the weather forecast for the next day. The only minor thing which let it down was that when we arrived the toilet was covered in hairs, but we were too tired to complain and just cleaned it ourselves. We didn't get the breakfast as we thought it was overpriced at 21 euros, and we ate out at VaPiano, opposite the hotel which I would recommend. Overall it was a pleasant stay but decoration and service ranks lower than other 5*'s and most 4*'s I've been to, although all staff were friendly and approachable. They also let us leave our luggage while we went shopping before we travelled which was helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for twin beds if you want them
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Rennes, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We spent 4 nights in the Berlin Swissotel around new year 2013.
The hotel has a very good location on Kurfürstendamm, near a whole lot of good shops. The famous KaDeWe is not far on foot.
We booked a room with a view on the avenue, and it was worth it: the floodlight from the room are fantastic.
The room was cosy, we particularly enjoyed the pillow menu and the "Good Night Service". The bathroom was large and had both a shower and a tub.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.
All in all, a very good hotel in a very good location.

Room Tip: The rooms with a view on the avenue are fantastic.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Long story short; overall design, silence and cleanness of the hotel was OK. Which are the things that I consider as the most important things for choosing accommodation. But apparently these were not enough for a peaceful stay as hotel's management, front desk and house keeping may ruin your holiday. That is just what happened to us!

1 - Booking from swissotel.com in November caused my debit card being cancelled by my bank due to an online security warning. Then it took 6 days, several emails and phone calls to pay for our stay and get a proper confirmation message! Not to mention the troubles I have faced as a result when I was trying to check-in for all three flights I had during the holidays without being able to show the debit card I made the booking...
2 - The thinnest pillows that make your neck hurt in the morning and the thinnest and tiniest duvets ever. I asked for a larger duvet in the next morning and a spare blanket. No blanket showed up and instead of bringing a larger duvet, they brought a second duvet which is the same size! Apparently you need to be hobbit sized to have a good night sleep at this hotel. And it was Swiss Advantage Room...
3 - The worst part of our stay started with me asking a few pieces of clothes to be cleaned on the second day and so left them in a laundry bag which was a Saturday. The laundry service form in the room states that if the guest asks the laundry to be cleaned on the same day, it costs 50% extra. If you leave them on a Sunday, it costs 100% extra. And so the only proper option in the when to be returned section of the form is "tomorrow" if you don't want it on the same day. So I chose it because I had no rush. The next day I realised that they charged me an extra 100%. I went to reception, kindly explained it to the lady and she said "you must be right" but she has to check it with house keeping. Then a few minutes later she came back saying that unfortunately they can not correct their mistake because they already paid the cleaning service and can not refund. I kindly repeated that it is quite clear that it is not my fault. She agreed but couldn't do anything so she said she'll have to ask her manager. So I left and didn't ask them again since I sriously don't like arguing for such things. In the morning of our last day when we were checking out, I didn't even open the discussion for the same reason but all of a sudden a lady who I assume to be the front desk manager appeared from her office and started talking about "my mistake"! Allegedly they tried to contact me but couldn't reach (They had all three of our mobile numbers in their system and on the check-in card I signed but neither of our phones had a missed call or a message for some reason :s) And she said that it is my fault that I ticked "tomorrow" on a Saturday which in fact means according to her that I want to pay extra 100% otherwise I "should" have left it blank. IT IS a FORM for god's sake, how would you expect someone to leave a request form blank when they request something? Also she thinks that it is my fault because I didn't come to reception and asked before leaving my laundry! She "taught me my lesson" in the rudest way I have ever seen from a hotel employee with her voice rising and dictating in her own style! And in the end, when I go totally shocked, angry and asking just to pay whatever they want to charge so that I can leave their unacceptable behaviour, she changed her style with a pity on her face and an obvious meaning suggesting that but we forgive your fault and "I" wasn't gonna charge you this time and "NEXT time You Should KNOW WHAT TO DO"! I tried to calm down and said please stop, I just want to pay whatever it is and leave now. Then she stopped dictating and started making fun of us by saying "oh, happy new year!"…
I have stayed from cheap bed and breakfasts to luxury design hotels and even business hotels across Europe – including Swissotel Izmir which had lovely and kind staff - and never experienced such an attitude from any hotel employee before.
I regret choosing to stay at Swissotel Berlin and obviously would never go back there.

Room Tip: I specifically asked for a silent room so we stayed on the 10th floor side street view - facing Conc...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed at the Swissotel for New Years in Berlin and overall the experience was ok. Staff were very friendly and the service was very good. We were staying for our anniversary and the staff were very pleasant and offered an upgrade.

The hotel is nice but I wouldn't say it's 5 star. The rooms were a bit small (especially given we were upgraded) and small things were missing like when it was cleaned dirty cups weren't taken and replaced. The biggest negative was as some of the other reviews have mentioned the beds are extremely hard. We've stayed at a number of hotels and never really had trouble sleeping but I found the bed incredibly uncomfortable.

The location is a bit away from the main tourist sites but is easy enough to get to via public transport links.

Overall ok, but I don't think I could stay again unless they changed their beds.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Hotel is located right in the heart of the Kurfürstendam shopping area and close to the train station Zoologischer Garten from where you can travel to any part of the city. Hotel is nice, rooms are ok, internet is extra (unless you book an advantage room which we did), breakfast buffet is excellent (also extra), staff very helpful.

Altrincham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We booked through the hotel website and rang the hotel about transportation..buses from the Berlin Tegel airport to the hotel which was helpful.

We arrived at night in December so it was dark and bought our bus tickets for X9 from the ticket office - outside the station near to the exist. Our stop was Zoologischer Garten right outside McDonald's, Berlin Zoo metro station ( Zoologischer Garten Bahnhof (German)) which you couldn't miss (on the bus, the electronic board gave clear display of the stops)! Don't forget to validate your ticket using the machine on bus (ask the driver!)

At Zoologischer Garten we used the metro and got off at Kurfurstendamm to get to the hotel (only one stop so we could have walked if it wasn't for the snow). Overground we looked for the tall C&A department store building (bright sign at night) where the hotel was as well.

Greeted by professional, polite and helpful staff which made us felt welcome in Berlin! Rooms were lovely, clean and comfortable- the only thing was they didn't provide in room free-wifi and you had to go to the lobby for free-wifi.

At night time we visited the main Christmas market of Berlin which was 10 minutes walk ( in the snow) from the hotel. It was a smashing and fantastic Christmas market (remember to get there early before 8:00 pm when all the stores will still be open) Christmas decorations were the best. We also visited the long shopping street where the hotel was. Must take advantage of the central location of the hotel in West Germany. Just ask the hotel staff for info and maps and about sightseeing tour bus (2 minutes away)!

Morning we took the sightseeing tour bus to see the west and east Berlin - Berlin wall etc (see the tour map) which was great. Make sure you check on the timetable (for the last bus and where the tour end i.e. the end stop. We didn't so we had to take the metro!)

Breakfasts at the hotel were lovely and we enjoyed the view of Berlin while we had our food and served by professional and friendly staff.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: High floor with views! If you want soft mattress and pillows of your choice ask reception/ housekeep...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Swissotel Berlin? Share your experiences!