“Ideal location, nice hotel, service could be improved” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Berlin Friedrichstrasse

You added NH Berlin Friedrichstrasse to your Saves list
NH Berlin Friedrichstrasse
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Friedrichstr. 96 | Mitte, D10117 Berlin, Germany (Mitte)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #85 of 663 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rome, Italy
“Ideal location, nice hotel, service could be improved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Location: IDEAL.
The hotel is in Frierichstrasse, near the U-Bahn (metro station) and S-bahn (urban railway station). The street is also well known for being one of the big commercial streets of Berlin, also close to the other well know street of Berlin Unter den Linden, as well as the Branderburg Tor.

Rooms: standard rooms are quite spacious, recently renewed, with all comforts.

Service: could be improved:
At our arrival at the reception they proposed us a different room from the one we booked early in advance; we were confirmed a non-smoking room and they gave a smoking room, so after the 1st night we had to change; we had to ask for kettle, tea bags and cups in the room.

Reception and bar: very nice area ideal for rest and have a quick snack.

Internet: free wifi in the rooms, with good signal, however the access to the computer near the Reception desk was not free (is some others NH Hoteles it is free).

Price: if you book in advance really competitive prices considered the Hotel is a 4 stars in central Berlin

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Pune, Maharashtra, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Clean Professional management & V friendly. Free Wi Fi unlimited. Rooms are adequate size comfortable & just what you would expect in a 4Star. Gym is rather small & not crowded. Basic Treadmill, Elliptical & one common machine for resistance training & some Exercise mats.
Location is awesome, Central right opp Friedrichstrasse station but good sound proofing. Views outside window not too impressive but its in city centre near all the famous malls.
Breakfast ( I believe it has Michelin 2*) is 21 Euro but lots of eateries just opposite which open at 7am & run till late night. We hired Taxi (mercedes) from hotel to Airport & other places & was decent cost _ About 18 Euro to business centre & 25 Euro to Airport. The chauffeur was cooperation personified & speaks good English

Room Tip: Not much choice here - Either you get to see over the train station or inner rooms face each other -
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Sofia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I think that almost nothing can beat this hotel's central location, being situated right next to one of the main train stations. The hotel is perfect for staying as it has some nice restaurants, shops and main attractions on a couple of minutes walk.

We stayed for 5 nights and days after that we still talk about how good the location was. I also loved the bath tub after a long day of sight seeing. The staff was helpful and nice, the free Wi-Fi access has to be renewed every 24 hours, but the it was stable.

Keep in mind that they lock the doors after midnight (or something like that) and you have to ring the night bell, which seemed a little hard to find after a couple of beers, but it was just a couple of meters in front the door. I didn't have an included breakfast so I ate mainly from some bakeries at the train station, which I would recommend as 20 euro for a breakfast seemed quite expensive.

If I visit Berlin again I would definitely check this hotel available rooms first.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotel is practically adjacent to the Friedrichstrasse hotel meaning the transport links are excellent. Travel to and from the Schonefeld airport is extremely easy.
The hotel is in a fantastic location- aside from its proximity to the station- there are numerous retaurants within a 5-10 minute walk and the 'main' Berlin attractions are all within easy and short walking distances.
Don't be dettered by the hotel's proximity to the railway station- the area feels safe and un-threatening. And noise from the station during the night is minimal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed at NH Berlin Friederichstrasse for 12 nights (booking via a language schooI). It is ideally located but I found that service there is really poor.
After the 1st night, I went to reception to tell them that I could not adjust the fan speed and that it was blowing directly on my head all night and that it was freeezing in my room. They obviously did not care at all but promised to reserve another room for me for the evening. Of course, in the evening, I was told that there was no room left (although the hotel seemed half empty) and they obviously did not believe that I could not ajust the AC. An agressive receptionist even came to my room, could not adjust it and furiously told me to simply open the window (just above the train rails, a great idea!) to stop the AC! Finally, on the 4th day, a technician could apparently solve the pb.
A few days later, I went to reception to pay for my daughters' room (they had come for a couple of days to visit me), which gave the man at reception a great opportunity to complain that my language school had not paid for my room yet and that this was not acceptable! I tried to explain that maybe he could get in touch directly with the school but he told me I had to resolve the pb. He was really rude, clearly giving me the impression that I was a 2nd class client - because I had booked through a language school??
The next day, I decided to go back to reception and to complain about this man's attitude. After insisting, I was finally told that the deputy manager would come later to my room (the manager was on vacation). I told him about my bad experiences and he proposed not to charge any breakfast for my stay (good news for my company which was financing my stay since the breakfast cost is 21 €`!). He was really nice and apologetic, asking me whether "I preferred red or white" - wine I suppose, because I am still waiting...
Finally, the day before my departure, I told reception that I wanted to leave my luggage during the day and booked a taxi for 4 o'clock. Believe it or not, but they woke me up at 4..am!! and at 4 pm, when I really needed to leave for the airport, no taxi - although re-confirmed twice! I finally had to run to the taxi station nearby (really not far, so if you need a taxi, just walk 2 mns, it is more reliable than booking a taxi via the hotel).
As a conclusion:
- positive points: location, comfort (not outstanding but quite good value for money)
- negative points: service (anonymous at best, rude at worse), breakfast price (decent breakfast but not worth 21 €), empty restaurant and bar (not really inviting, better to go outside for a more lively atmosphere).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Great location, right in the middle of everything, close to train and underground. Breakfast is very good, albeit costly. Rooms are good, and works. Reception staff speaks English fluently. Concierge us very helpful.

• Stayed August 2013
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed at the NH Berlin Friedrichstrasse for five nights in late July-early August. The hotel is centrally located and the nearby train station was not noisy. The receptionists were pleasant and helpful. Our room was clean although the carpet was well worn. The breakfast buffet selection was varied and items were fresh.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to NH Berlin Friedrichstrasse? Share your experiences!