“The hotel experience you are looking for” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale - From €140
Ranked #41 of 664 hotels in Berlin
Warsaw, Poland
“The hotel experience you are looking for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

The check in is quick. The rooms great. Service splendid. And all that in one of the most beautiful cities of Europe and one of the best hotal chains. If only all hotels offered such a travelling experience!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Gregor A, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Berlin, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear guest of the Waldorf Astoria Berlin,

We would like to say thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Berlin for your recent visit in the German capital - as you write "one of the most beautiful cities of Europe" - and also for providing us with feedback about your stay. We will be sure to share your heartfelt comments with the whole team.

May the spirit of Christmas bring peace and joy to your holidays.
Best regards
your team of the Waldorf Astoria Berlin

325 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Cambridge, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

We stayed at Waldorf only for one night. Upon our arrival late in the afternoon (3:30 Pm), our room was not ready. Since it took another half an hour to get our room ready, one of the receptionist offered us to have coffee, and pastries in the dining area. The hot chocolate was really tasty. The chocolate almond cake was delicious.
Our rate included breakfast which was excellent and we were lucky to get a table in a more quiet room by the window.
I wish the hotel was a little less formal, and I did not care for the carpet in the rooms. I would have preferred hardwood floors for cleanliness.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your positive comments on tripadvisor. We are really glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us - and also the almond cake, hand made by our Patisserie.

Thank you also for your comments regarding the carpet in the rooms. We will discuss this point internal.

We truly hope to welcome you back in the not so distant future. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require any assistance in the future.
Yours sincerely
the team of the Waldorf Astoria Berlin
Huncoat
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in November to celebrate my birthday. The hotel is ideally located for the train ( 30 minutes from Schonefeld airport on the airport express ) and bus station ( 100 and 200 bus routes which pass all of the main sights ) yet within easy walking distance of Kadewe and the shopping district.
The rooms are pure luxury and well appointed with excellent technology including high speed broadband, Apple PCs, Docking station and in mirror TVs!
We received a room upgrade and a free glass of champagne each. The no.1 restaurant in Berlin - Heising is just around the corner and is well worth a visit.
I stay in a lot of Hilton hotels and this is the best I have experienced to date
Just book it!

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view. Some corner rooms have a view of the Wilhelm Church and ci...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Gregor A, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Berlin, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Guest of the Waldorf Astoria Berlin!

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Waldorf Astoria Berlin. We are really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that all our team members were so attentive to your needs and wishes. We will be sure to share your comments with all of them.

Thank you also very much for taking the time to write your heartfelt experiences at our hotel. Dear guest, should your travels bring you back this way, we realy hope that you will stay with us again.

We wish you a peaceful Christmas time,
Your team of the Waldorf Astoria BerlinYour team of the Waldorf Astoria Berlin
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I visit Berlin often, and have stayed in many hotels around the city. The Waldorf Astoria Berlin is my new favorite. From the lobby, to the room, to the library and the spa this hotel is a delight to stay in.

I treated myself to a junior suite, which was large, spacious and very well appointed. The bed was so comfortable as was the room as a whole. The bathroom was also large with a large bath, shower room, with rain shower, and toilet room. There was a TV in the mirror and a large window looking out over Berlin and the Kaiser Wilhelm memorial church which made for a relaxing bath time.

The room had a large TV and available laptop and HDMI connections as well as a well stocked minibar, safe and ipod doc as you would expect. The storage space was ample.

I was able to make some time to use the spa facilities which was a real treat, I was the only one there.

The hotel's location next to the main west Berlin station, a few hundred yards from Kurfurstendamm and overlooking the Zoo and the park make it ideal.

Room Tip: The higher the better the views!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest of the Waldorf Astoria Berlin,

Thank you so much for your heartfelt review on Tripadvisor.

You wrote about us "... my new favorite ... " - we promise to do everything we can to remain your favorite choice!

Have a peaceful Christmas time
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Just stayed for two nights on a business trip. Very, very nice property. Nice room, friendly staff once one realizes they are in Germany. Surprises were that room was not ready at 1:00PM on a Sunday - I guess I was a bit cranky after flying for 18 hours and check in time IS 3:00PM. Second surprise was that I was reading the paper on the 1st floor (2nd floor in Europe) and I was approached by some aggressive beggars. Really surprised me... It is a picture of society around the world I just did not expect this on the 2nd floor of my hotel in Berlin. I do not think this is an issue with the hotel, more so a creative person looking to grab a Euro here and there...

Overall, a good stay. Got a good corporate rate. Room was nicely sized and very comfortable. Food service was friendly. Breakfasts were the great European buffets.

Would I stay again? Yes, it is in a good location in central Berlin. Service was vey good and hotel is quite clean and comfortable.

Dear Guest of the Waldorf Astoria Berlin,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your heartfelt, valuable review regarding your stay at our hotel. We are delighted to hear that you could enjoy a nice time in a good location.

Please do accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you had with the beggar. We have intensified our awareness to prevent such incidents.

We hope to see you return again soon. Safe travels!

Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Generally I was very pleased with my first stay at the new (Jan. ’13) Waldorf Astoria Berlin. I have stayed at many hotels in Berlin and this is among the nicer ones. There were a couple of glaring inconsistencies about food, some of which are in the hotel’s control, that I will get to after reviewing the basics.

The positive

Front desk staff was pleasant, attentive and fully bilingual in German and English. Cleaning and support staff was very guest-focused and pleasant as well.

The hotel provided an upgrade to a junior suite, a nice benefit of Hilton Diamond status. The room was very spacious with a separate work area, seating area, makeup table and bed. There were two large flat-screen TVs that doubled as Mac computers. Coupled with fast internet access, this meant Netflix was a real option – a hotel rarity.

Bathroom was spectacular. Heated tile floor, bath and separate waterfall shower, makeup mirror, TV embedded in the mirror (nice touch!).

Internet service was superb, the best I’ve ever had in a hotel. I ran the “speedtest” on the wireless and it came back at a blazing 35-40 Mbps. That was plenty for Skype calls and even video with no dropouts. Excellent. By contrast, many otherwise fine hotels offer 1Mbps or less, barely enough for email let alone YouTube. The hotel is to be commended for installing this state-of the art technology. It really makes a difference.

The physical features were very high-end. The LED lights (another nice touch) were easy to control from several places in the room. Bedding was luxurious. There was an iPad- and iPhone-compatible clock-radio on the nightstand. There was a switchable 110V/220V outlet on the bathroom wall. There was a small fridge with a small amount of “guest space” and no hateful “computerization” of the minibar “sales.” There was a gloriously good espresso machine AND a kettle to warm up water.

One more very positive point: the interior of this hotel is really QUIET. I was dubious when I noticed the hotel location in a loud part of Berlin and the room location on “only” the fifth floor. Sure, there was a little occasional street noise that penetrated the hotel’s hermetic “double hull.” But by and large, when the windows were closed, it was quiet and it was very easy to sleep.

The strange

The Waldorf is an incongruous grand marble slab overlooking an especially shabby corner of old West Berlin: the Bahnhof Zoo (Zoo train station) district. Like most German center cities, the area did not feel unsafe, even late at night. But the station attracts various low-lifes, vagrants and panhandlers and I was approached by them on the street a couple of times within one block of the hotel. The view of the square in front of the station that my room afforded me was a gritty tableau. Most of this part of Berlin is in need of renovation, especially in contrast with the gleaming eastern sector.

What made it all worthwhile is that the lovely upscale neighborhood of Savignyplatz is less than ten minutes’ walk away. I was able to walk to several great restaurants and shops along Kantstrasse or tucked into the arches beneath the S-Bahn bridge. If I had wanted to shop, I could have done much more. The great Berlin department store KaDeWe is not far and there are many other options. Theater, movie theaters and the broad Ku-damm boulevard are also very close by.

What also made this location a standout was the ease of reaching Tegel Airport. For as long as Tegel is in service (about one more year? till mid-’14?), it’s a pleasure to get there by taxi in 15 minutes for 15 Euro. I’ll miss it when it’s gone. There is also a cheaper airport bus from Bahnhof Zoo. Other public transportation options (U-Bahn, S-Bahn and buses) are all very close to the hotel.

The negative

What was incomplete about this picture was the food offerings. There were two big issues here. First, unlike the other ~25 Hilton properties I’ve visited, breakfast was not included based on Diamond status. And the buffet cost 36 EUR ($48)! That is just way out of line!

The alternative is the “Romanisches Café” which looked pleasant and full when I looked in the window in the afternoon. It was nearly empty when I went to try the breakfast at 9:30am on Monday. “Nearly empty” and “fully staffed” (two servers for the four occupied tables) did not translate into good or even acceptable service. The staff took several minutes to bring me a menu. They then brought half my breakfast. I waited and waited and twenty minutes later I was still waiting for the other half. None of the dishes (e.g. cheese) required any heating. Not acceptable at all. The hotel should be up in arms about this.

The other glaring gap was the lack of a lounge. On my many stays at the Hilton Berlin on Gendarmenmarkt, I had grown accustomed to the nicely renovated and very pleasant ground-floor “executive lounge,” which is open about 16 hours a day. During a long stay, that lounge offers a welcome alternative to sitting in the room, not to mention a secluded option for a personal breakfast or a business meeting. Complementary drinks are served at that lounge every evening.

By contrast, the Waldorf has no such space. Yes, they have a top-floor “library” that they relentlessly advertise on their web site and at the front desk. Well, there are some issues with the “library.” Front desk said it was open till 11pm and I went there at 10:30 Saturday night – closed. Sign said it would be open till 10pm on Sunday. Went back Sunday evening before 10 – closed again. I finally got there Monday and enjoyed the view but the drinks are not free. I did not stay long. They closed at 10pm and kicked me out. The combination of a $48 breakfast and the need to pay for a glass of wine or beer up there is a bit much. I hope the hotel reconsiders both the opening hours (and their communication of them) and the prices. By the way, when I finally got inside the library, I was alone except for the friendly staff member. Maybe that’s a hint?

In sum, I would consider staying here again, especially at rates (200 EUR or so) that allowed me to overlook the drawbacks I mentioned. I commend the management for creating such an oasis in an “interesting” location in Berlin. I just wish they would turn “the library” into an executive lounge and start serving breakfast there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Gregor A, Manager at Waldorf Astoria Berlin, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Although your visit has already passed some days, we would like to say "Thank you" for your heartfelt review on Tripadvisor.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and all our team members were attentive to your needs.

You have pointed out things that not work perfectly. Please be assured, that we are working on it to bring out the best for you and all the other guests.

Should your travels bring you back this way, we hope that you will stay with us again.

Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Fantastic hotel next to the Zoo station. Love seeing the renaissance of this area after so much concentration on Potzdamer Platz. The property is new and not historic. But it is a comfortable yet elegant new style. The rooms just have a warm feel to them. You feel comfortable and relaxed right away. I prefer it over all the hyper-stylized and over-designed properties in Potzdamer. The only drawback was 25 euros a day for internet. The fitness center has everything you would need. A friend had a one-hour massage and it was a reasonable 120 euros. Staff was great and very helpful.

Room Tip: Pick which view you want. I prefer looking toward the zoo.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Waldorf Astoria Berlin? Share your experiences!